[NFP] Speculation - Possible Game Mode

There is a file PiratesScenario_FrontEndText.xml
<Text>Automatically find and join a Pirates game.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Pirates is Civilization VI's spin on Sid Meyer's Pirates. Play as a swashbuckling pirate vying for supremecy on the seven seas.</Text>

Oh wow, are they bringing in Pirates! as a multiplayer game mode ala Red Death? Could be fun. Will your happiness in retirement still be partly based on how attractive your wife is :p

Though my confidence is a little undercut if someone doesn't even check how to actually spell Sid Meier's name. Which is in the actual title of the Civ game. Maybe it's an intentional end run around trademark for a game they don't own...

<Text>Automatically find and join a Pirates game.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Pirates is Civilization VI's spin on Sid Meyer's Pirates. Play as a swashbuckling pirate vying for supremecy on the seven seas.</Text>

So from the sounds of it, it will be a new multiplayer game like red death. I'm guessing it will come in one of the free patches

Or could be something different. Here is about heroes:
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_CITY_STATE_SUZERAIN" Value="100" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_GOODY_HUT" Value="50" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_MEET_CITY_STATE" Value="100" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_PER_CITY_STATE_ENVOY" Value="25" />
Probably GreatPeople screen won't be used for that.

Yeah this sounds much more like a game mode seperate from the Pirates thing. Since that sounds like it will work very similar to secret societies.

I am guessing that hero's will be super powerful military units that only last for a short while

@bbbt Can't say. This file is quite long and contains a lot of details about the how to play, the scoring, etc.
Looks like some leftovers from development stages, someone forgot to do some clean up.

And the Heroes are actually implemented in the game core. There are Lua functions available e.g. Game.GetHeroesManager()

I’d love for there to be Hero-type units, I think the Endless series does a great job of integrating them into the 4X genre. I’d love to see how they’d work in Civ.

If I might digress a little bit though, how do we know Vietnam & Kublai are coming in the 5th pack? I would’ve predicted them, but how do we know with certainty they’re coming with an economic mode?

I’d love for there to be Hero-type units, I think the Endless series does a great job of integrating them into the 4X genre. I’d love to see how they’d work in Civ.

If I might digress a little bit though, how do we know Vietnam & Kublai are coming in the 5th pack? I would’ve predicted them, but how do we know with certainty they’re coming with an economic mode?

It leaked with Ethiopia when we found a readme that listed the naming convention for files to seperate them between regular and mode versions. It included VietnamKublaiKhan. I find it weird they'd use those two examples if they weren't in (the same readme or near it is where we also found a reference to the Economic Game Mode). If they wanted a generic example they could've easily used something they already had, so we are assuming that Vietnam and Kublai Khan are in.

This is also further confirmed/likely given that one of the packs requires Rise and Fall for one of their leaders, out of all the civilizations in that expansion pack, Netherlands and Mongolia seemed the most likely, with Mongolia being the top favorite.

Well, I didn't know about that but now there is this new table:

CREATE TABLE "Improvements_MODE" (
"ImprovementType" TEXT NOT NULL,
"Industry" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Industry IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,
"Corporation" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Corporation IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,

Industry & Corporation...

And as for the heroes, the following code is added to the UnitPanel. Check out the comments.

-- Set Hero Kill Weaker Unit Selected
if (eNewMode == InterfaceModeTypes.KILL_WEAKER_UNIT) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_KILL_WEAKER_UNIT", true);
elseif (eOldMode == InterfaceModeTypes.KILL_WEAKER_UNIT) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_KILL_WEAKER_UNIT", false);
end

-- Set Hero Transform Unit Selected
if (eNewMode == InterfaceModeTypes.TRANSFORM_UNIT) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_TRANSFORM_UNIT", true);
elseif (eOldMode == InterfaceModeTypes.TRANSFORM_UNIT) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_TRANSFORM_UNIT", false);
end

-- Set Hero Restore Unit Moves Selected
if (eNewMode == InterfaceModeTypes.RESTORE_UNIT_MOVES) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_RESTORE_UNIT_MOVES", true);
elseif (eOldMode == InterfaceModeTypes.RESTORE_UNIT_MOVES) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_RESTORE_UNIT_MOVES", false);
end

-- Set Hero Naval Gold Raid Selected
if (eNewMode == InterfaceModeTypes.NAVAL_GOLD_RAID) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_NAVAL_GOLD_RAID", true);
elseif (eOldMode == InterfaceModeTypes.NAVAL_GOLD_RAID) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_NAVAL_GOLD_RAID", false);
end

-- Set Hero Resource Inspire Selected
if (eNewMode == InterfaceModeTypes.RESOURCE_INSPIRE) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_RESOURCE_INSPIRE", true);
elseif (eOldMode == InterfaceModeTypes.RESOURCE_INSPIRE) then
SetTheSelectedButton("UNITCOMMAND_RESOURCE_INSPIRE", false);
end

Well, I didn't know about that but now there is this new table:

CREATE TABLE "Improvements_MODE" (
"ImprovementType" TEXT NOT NULL,
"Industry" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Industry IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,
"Corporation" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Corporation IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,

Industry & Corporation...

Is that means Industry and Corporation as Improvements? That is big (than I originally thought).

Here's an interesting thing,the first 3 game modes were not as positively recieved, but even the devs themselves said they weren't big, and that the last 3 or so would be the ones they expect people to always keep on. so Heroes and Corporations seem to be the thing.

Here's an interesting thing,the first 3 game modes were not as positively recieved, but even the devs themselves said they weren't big, and that the last 3 or so would be the ones they expect people to always keep on. so Heroes and Corporations seem to be the thing.

I don't remember them saying literally "the last 3", but add to that:

- The last three modes do not require R&F or GS, and must therefore be related to base game mechanics;
- Being the last three modes, there's probably more time to work on them.

However, we might get an additional free mode, and that could potential require GS or R&F.

Pirates

Find and join? Sounds like Red Death 2 2

Awesome. That’s exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see in the Scenarios.

Hopefully we get Colonization as a Scenario one day too.

corporations

I’d like to see something like corporations, ideally something that covers everything from medieval guilds to colonial royal charter companies to modern MNCs.

My concern is the implementation - I really can’t get excited about having “corporation” units, or monopolies over resources, or spreading corporations as religions. Admittedly, I don’t have any better ideas, but none of those feel like the right mechanical approach.

So, yeah, sounds kinda good. But let’s see. Either way, happy it’s a game mode, so if it doesn’t quite get the mechanics or feel right, I can at least turn the mode off if it’s boring me or getting frustrating.

Top Bottom