[NFP] Speculation - Possible Game Mode

Pirates

There is a file PiratesScenario_FrontEndText.xml
<Text>Automatically find and join a Pirates game.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Pirates is Civilization VI's spin on Sid Meyer's Pirates. Play as a swashbuckling pirate vying for supremecy on the seven seas.</Text>

HAH! I knew after vampires this would happen.

This could fit in a pack with Assyria or Babylon.

Sadly, I think you might be right. Was hoping it might point toward something else, but we're kind of out of options that would tie in with the idea of "epics." I really hope if we get Assyria that Portugal is passed over for next year. I still want at least one more new civ.

Is that means Industry and Corporation as Improvements? That is big (than I originally thought).

I read the code as tying industry/corporation tags to existing improvements. Seems to make more sense since it forms a good foundation to build out industries and corporations, and is only code-based without the need to create additional assets. Although, the counterargument to that speculation is improvement resources mostly fall into a very short list of industries: agriculture, textiles, energy, and then a bunch of miscellaneous mining-based industries.

This could fit in a pack with Assyria or Babylon.
Absolutely. Epics and Heroes fit the Mesopotamian aesthetic perfectly.
Pirates

There is a file PiratesScenario_FrontEndText.xml
<Text>Automatically find and join a Pirates game.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Pirates is Civilization VI's spin on Sid Meyer's Pirates. Play as a swashbuckling pirate vying for supremecy on the seven seas.</Text>
sounds fun, but odd they spelled his name wrong
Or could be something different. Here is about heroes:
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_CITY_STATE_SUZERAIN" Value="100" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_GOODY_HUT" Value="50" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_MEET_CITY_STATE" Value="100" />
<Replace Name="HERO_DISCOVER_CHANCE_PER_CITY_STATE_ENVOY" Value="25" />
Probably GreatPeople screen won't be used for that.
sounds cool.
I think Heroes have a certain lifespan (e.g. 30 turns) during which they can accumulate renown through victories. Upon death or at the end of Lifespan they become Artefacts/Epic Great Works which grant a given yield based on the amount of renown they managed to accumulate.
This sounds like a very Assyria/Babylon game mode
Well, I didn't know about that but now there is this new table:

CREATE TABLE "Improvements_MODE" (
"ImprovementType" TEXT NOT NULL,
"Industry" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Industry IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,
"Corporation" BOOLEAN NOT NULL CHECK (Corporation IN (0,1)) DEFAULT 0,

Industry & Corporation...

Time to collectivize

Those things are still months away, so I hope that people don't start imagining some super complex mechanics to the new game modes and then be disappointed if the modes are different or more straight forward. Just enjoy the ride!

Apart from Apocalypse I have really liked the modes and they really freshen up the game. Secret societies and Dramatic eras seem to be the biggest gamechangers.

Do you think Firaxis voluntartily let those leaks in the files, so that us, civmentas, starts giving our impressions about what we think and hope about what we want, and then they gather all of that as a secret, unofficial panel of testers?

Maybe epics and stuff weren't the things they focused on on the Heroes mode but looking at us talking all about that, they might enhance it.

Dunno, I'm metaspeculating there and it's unadvised.

They could be units that are unlocked through the great people UI

I lean towards this - kind of a hybrid unit/Great Person. Perhaps a Great Person type (unlocked through the UI) that can also engage in combat.

This reminds me of the Great Companies from @JFD 's Rule with Faith. More powerful units based on historical mercenary companies that can be recruited with gold through the Great Persons screen. It is possible that this could be a similar implementation.

Last edited:
Is that means Industry and Corporation as Improvements? That is big (than I originally thought).

I read the code as tying industry/corporation tags to existing improvements. Seems to make more sense since it forms a good foundation to build out industries and corporations, and is only code-based without the need to create additional assets. Although, the counterargument to that speculation is improvement resources mostly fall into a very short list of industries: agriculture, textiles, energy, and then a bunch of miscellaneous mining-based industries.

What I hope from this is that you gain bonuses from improvement on specific resources, like corporations in civ 4 or civ 5 vox populi. That you don't gain bonuses from those resources per se, but from improvements on those resources. For example, a jewelry corporation from mines over jade, silver, diamonds and amber, and fishing boats over amber and pearls; a textile corporation from plantations over cotton, silk and dyes and camps over fur; a tech company for mines over copper, aluminum and mercury. That could be fun!

Also, one thing I like in Civ V Vox Populi is how resources are clustered, allowing civs to have a monopoly more easily and those encourage trade, like I have 5 truffles but no other luxury resources so I'm encouraged to trade for amenities.

I don't remember them saying literally "the last 3", but add to that:

- The last three modes do not require R&F or GS, and must therefore be related to base game mechanics;
- Being the last three modes, there's probably more time to work on them.

However, we might get an additional free mode, and that could potential require GS or R&F.

Apologies for not being clear, they didn't say it no, but they implied.

The mentioned the first 2 or 3 (I can't remember if they said the first 3 or 2 game modes were more on the fantasitcal side), but they did mention that the "later" modes (which seem to be the ones we now know of) something they expect a lot of players to keep on, so it does suggest the last 3 ones seem to be something more oriented for everyone to enjoy that shakes the game up rather than push it to extreme.

Also, one thing I like in Civ V Vox Populi is how resources are clustered, allowing civs to have a monopoly more easily and those encourage trade, like I have 5 truffles but no other luxury resources so I'm encouraged to trade for amenities.

This is already a thing in Civ 6, each continent tends to get assigned its fair share of resources and easy to get a monopoly. Honestly if they implemented Vox Populi's Corporation/Monoply i would DIE, I love that system and I wish the mod didn't crash so frequently.

This is already a thing in Civ 6, each continent tends to get assigned its fair share of resources and easy to get a monopoly. Honestly if they implemented Vox Populi's Corporation/Monoply i would DIE, I love that system and I wish the mod didn't crash so frequently.
Yep, specifically in this game each named continent is assigned 4 unique luxury resources.

Well I'll be damned, I had no idea that it was a thing! I'll pay more attention to this :)

I don't want to imagine some super complex mechanics but companies being nationalized after you adopted the Communism government sounds interesting.
Considering everything seems nationalized in this game for the benefit for the civ as a whole, I don't know if corporations would be different like that depending on which government you choose.
Though it might be interesting if it did.

Hmmm interesting. Yesterday I noticed that in the Logs there are two files called Game_Heroes or something, but it was a turn where a Great Person got ignored by every but one player (MP game), so I thought it might have something to do with giving that Great Person to the last player. Now that you found this I think it's more likely to be related to a new game mode.

Hmmm interesting. Yesterday I noticed that in the Logs there are two files called Game_Heroes or something, but it was a turn where a Great Person got ignored by every but one player (MP game), so I thought it might have something to do with giving that Great Person to the last player. Now that you found this I think it's more likely to be related to a new game mode.
Lol, there really are 2 new log files. Currently empty.
Game_HeroesManager_HeroStats.csv - Turn, Hero, Discoveries, Appearances
Game_HeroesManager_PlayerStats.csv - Turn, PlayerIndex, Control, HeroesDiscovered, HeroesClaimed, HeroesRecalled

So, the fields say a bit. Players can discover and claim heroes, and they can be recalled. Heroes make discoveries and there is a counter of appearances (?).
There is a discovery chance in the global par (see an earlier post) - from suzerain, meeting a CS, goodies, envoys. "Meet CS" is 100%, but sending an envoy 25%/goody 50%. It seems that there will be plenty of heroes. I speculate that they could be related to the type of the city-state - giving some strategic options e.g. similar to having a suzerain bonus.

The description in .txt says "More details about the specific stuff like treasure fleets, infamous pirates, treasure maps" "Details about your flagship, losing it causes defeat. Talk about mutiny here?" "Talk about the new and unique actions you can do as a pirate ship"

"Meet CS" is 100%, but sending an envoy 25%/goody 50%. It seems that there will be plenty of heroes. I speculate that they could be related to the type of the city-state - giving some strategic options e.g. similar to having a suzerain bonus.

Now besides the extra gold/production/faith/science/amenity/units/infrastructures CS can also grant you Heros.

I think the only thing left from the list of gifts from CS is that they cannot found a religion for you like your typical IRL not-state-sponsored prophets.

Well I'll be damned, I had no idea that it was a thing! I'll pay more attention to this :)

Don't quote me on that tbh :lol::lol: - but I do think it is the case. there is some sort of luxury distribution logic here anyway. Except turtles.. they're everywhere.

Lol, there really are 2 new log files. Currently empty.
Game_HeroesManager_HeroStats.csv - Turn, Hero, Discoveries, Appearances
Game_HeroesManager_PlayerStats.csv - Turn, PlayerIndex, Control, HeroesDiscovered, HeroesClaimed, HeroesRecalled

So, the fields say a bit. Players can discover and claim heroes, and they can be recalled. Heroes make discoveries and there is a counter of appearances (?).

There's a Hero unit in Warhammer part of Bretonnia's mechanics, the Green Knight, who only appears for a short amount of time but can be recalled later under certain conditions.

The fact there's two separate fields for HeroesDiscovered and HeroesClaimed makes it sound like Heroes might behave like City States, in the sense that only one Civ can be the Hero's "Suzerain"/Controller at a time.

Discovering new Heroes might operate like discovering Secret Societies, in the sense that you're not necessarily granted automatic control.

The same Hero may then be "employed" by different Civs throughout a game, for a period of 30 turns each time, hence the Appearances field. Or perhaps it's bound to that Civ, like the Green Knight, but there's a delay or a trigger requirement between appearances.

Perhaps each Civ can only have one active Hero at a time? Upon recalling, you get a permanent bonus in the form of an Artefact or Great Work, depending on the amount of renown you accumulated before recalling.

I'm just winging it...
---

Edit: Actually looking through Infixo's posts a bit more closely, I just realised this might be related to the Pirates multiplayer game, and a Hero might just be the unit you control in that multiplayer mode.
Edit2: I don't know, that doesn't fit with the OP. The Pirates bit just makes things confusing and hard to decipher.

Last edited:
I bet you "discover" heroes by doing certain things, and they go into a docket where you can view them and other civs can't get the same ones as you.

But you have to accumulate a certain point bucket to "claim" a hero from that docket and activate it.

Then it only lasts a certain number of turns when you can use it.

Edit: Actually looking through Infixo's posts a bit more closely, I just realised this might be related to the Pirates multiplayer game, and a Hero might just be the unit you control in that multiplayer mode.
Edit2: I don't know, that doesn't fit with the OP. The Pirates bit just makes things confusing and hard to decipher.
I hope not.
I don't know if heroes and epics correlates with pirates. I'd personally would like Heroes and Epics as a game mode. Also hopefully they would rework Sumeria's abilities to work with the game mode, just like they did Georgia with Dramatic Ages.

I for one will be glad if the names can be customizable to where we can recruit heroes and name them Perseus or King Arthur etc.

Top Bottom