Speed of building roads

Phillip J Wiecek

Chieftain
I'm trying to figure out whether more than 2 workers speeds up long distance road building on flat terrain. Trying to do this mentally makes my head hurt.

I want to create a very vanilla map that I can use as a race track for various numbers of workers. It would consist of an area for a number of cities with some money generating terrain and a large flat plain for the builders.

Does something like that exist?

Is there a way I can shortcut it without starting on a blank map and playing through the construction?

Phillip J Wiecek, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

Yes, workers can finish the worker jobs cummulative and therefore faster. The strength of several workers, working in the same tile with the same worker job is added.

The speed each worker can finish the worker job depends on several adjustments in the editor:

1. Worker Strength:

Worker1-Strength.jpg

2. Turns to complete a worker job:

Worker2-Job.jpg

3. The Worker Rate in the government settings:

Worker3-Government.jpg

The easiest way to test the performance of worker stacks in C3C is a biq in Debug Mode:

Debug Mode-1.jpg

Debug Mode-2.jpg

I have attached such a biq for C3C for you. Place it in the C3C scenarios folder and simply start it like a normal scenario. You will see the complete random map revealed and can add as many workers as you want (up to a number of 8192) with Shift + F1 to test the configuration and the speed of your workers, not only for roads, but also for mines and all other worker jobs. If you only have Civ 3 Vanilla (and/or PtW), this biq doesn´t work.

Attachments

• conquests-Debug.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 43
Another idea to consider testing, thanks to @Civinator map. Put a stack of 6 or 8 workers on a tile, and tell all of them to auto-road to a destination 3 tiles away. All of them will start building the road in their current tile.

My hypothesis (which I've never tested) is that as soon as the road is finished on the current tile, the order will have them move to the next tile automatically and begin the next road. I believe this might save some turns, or at least save me the micromanagement of giving them extra orders.

I use a similar pattern once I can build railroads. The workers build rails on top of the existing road, and the movement of the group to the next tile is easier because of the existing road. By the time I'm building railroads, I have other decisions that I need to pay attention to, so saving some micro in building the railroads is goodness.

Obviously one can only use this in peaceful territory, since enemy troops or barbarians would disturb the flow.

Another idea to consider testing, thanks to @Civinator map. Put a stack of 6 or 8 workers on a tile, and tell all of them to auto-road to a destination 3 tiles away. All of them will start building the road in their current tile.
I've never noticed such an option was available. Where do I find that?

"road to" and "rail to" are life savers.
When you get to railroads, just order some workers to rail across you continent for fast movement and order some to rail around the main cities and you will save so much time.

"road to" and "rail to" are life savers.
When you get to railroads, just order some workers to rail across you continent for fast movement and order some to rail around the main cities and you will save so much time.
I can definitely see its utility. I've just always done it manually. And still can, if I need to for some reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom