1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spoiler for Single-player PBEM - ROME

Discussion in 'Team SANCTA' started by General_W, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Viva_Chingon

Viva_Chingon Condition 1

Well...it happens. I wasn't the only one who didn't fortify their capitol...and I'm not giving anything away; I'm talking about Y O U. :)

Good luck!

2. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

I'm overdue for an update here.

I've explored some more, and come to an unfortunate conclusion... I have to do a deal with the devil.
    by which, I mean Memphus :lol:

He's too close to me, too strong, and too much of a better player for me to take on at this stage.
    He's got Bronze, so his Axemen would be sufficient to fight off my Praetorians. Axe's are cheaper, and with their +50% against mele, hammer-for-hammer he can take me down.

I've signed a peace deal with him to last till turn 60 (31 turns from now) and extend beyond that with with a 5 turns notice of intent to cancel clause.

As you can see in the above map, we also agreed that I'd get a city below me, as planned.
    I'm also working out a deal with him to spread Buddhism to my lands, then pay me 0.5gpt (rounded up) for every city I have with Buddhism in it.

Since there are NO pre-calendar happy resources that I can see, I'll need the religion to grow my cities. I think this is a pretty good deal for me since I spare myself the need to study polytheism in a race. :thumbsup:

I got a widescreen monitor for Christmas :dance:
    So here's a nice new widescreen shot of my southern area border with Memphus:

Oh yeah - and a random event gave me Truffles for Christmas.
    That tile now gets +1 Food and +1gold. Awesome. It just moved to the top of my "chop and cottage" list.

I'm thinking I'll need to try to do a deal with Ron, and kill AutoTeller with Praetorians. As much as I'd rather work with AT against Memphus, I just don't think it's realistic. I need a medium-term alliance with Memphus and a long-term secret one with Ron.

Thoughts?

3. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

One major downside to attacking AT is Protective. With a barracks, he can pump out archers for half the cost of your praets. Combat I or CR I praets, coming up against fully fortified CGII DrillI Archers, behind walls, leaves you with just over 50% chances of victory. And I would be surprised if there weren't some Shock Axemen thrown in for good measure. If you did want to attack AT, I'd go through Ronnie first and get some highly promoted praets first.

4. Viva_Chingon

Viva_Chingon Condition 1

Nice to see what the map looks like...you're in a tricky spot, geographically.

Your Praetorians will do heavy damage to whomever you choose to attack but Azzaman has a good point re: protective. You're obviously considering who you should employ your UU against...that's valid IMO.

In a perfect world expanding west would be the best bet because that would give you some highly defensible land with which to use in assaulting Ronnie and AT. This, however, is met with the reality of having to take Memphus head on. Taking that approach would be a gamble but would have huge payoffs...

1) You wouldn't be the meat in the sandwich any longer -- primary defense to the east
    2) Defensible land -- if you secure the upper land-bridge
    3) Happy, Health and Horses over there
    4) Limited success in such a campaign would weaken Memphus quite a bit.

Seeing that it is an inland sea, the placement of city 2 could be adjusted or even changed to city 3 in favor of an inland land grab...especially if you've secured that area through treaty already. There really isn't much need for naval forces in the inland sea -- unless you were to assault Memphus amphibiously.

Expand to 3-4 cities, build Praetorians like crazy, come up with a good attack plan and initiate. The only Delta is which civ to attack. If you attack either Ronnie or AT they might ally against you -- but if you went straight for Memphus then they might leave you alone in favor of building themselves up to fight you later.

Those 'ifs' might be addressed through some additional diplomacy with Ronnie and AT. Though you probably won't get straightforward answers, their responses might at least serve as a litmus test for their existing communication/coordination.

5. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

gaa - I just don't know what to do.
    If only Viva were still alive! He and I would have a totally natural alliance against Memphus.

As it is - I'm pretty sure that going to war with Memphus (as strategically desirable as that is) would end up with me weakening Memphus enough for AT or Ron to win.

On the flip side, if I can get some early conquest victories over AT or Ron, I'll be in a much stronger position to do some damage to Memphus.

So if I want to win (and I do) I think I have to choose between attacking Ron or AutoTeller.
    If Ron were closer to me, it'd be a no-brainier.

I'm really not excited about facing a Protective civ, but in my limited experience, being protective tends to make humans over-confident on defense. With a tech alliance with Memphus, and my rear secure, I might be able to time an attack on AutoTeller for Praetorians + Catapults - heavily neutralizing his defensive advantage for being able to hole up in cities.

If I can get some kind of peace deal with Ron to keep him out of the way - it could be my path to victory.

Thoughts?
    Anyone know how good of a Civ4 player AutoTeller is?

6. Theoden

Theoden Chieftain GOTM Staff

When at some point Memphus declares that in 5 turns he will be coming for you, will you be able to defend your back with your main force at the other end of the world? You're his closest neighbour and I think it would be quite an invitation to conquest if you signal that you're not home...

Not that I think declaring on Memphus will win you the game either, mind you. Actually, I don't think there are any obvious moves towards victory given your current position.

7. Krill

Krill Chieftain

build 2 axes asap then send them both at Memphus and try to choke him?