*Spoiler1* Gotm23-Arabs Full World Map+All contacts+Middle Age

Originally posted by AlanH

So the rate of tech progress will equalise by the end of the ancient age, other things being equal, and any Predator score bonus would be frozen at that time - if it's 8 to 10 turns at the end of the ancient age it will still be 8 to 10 turns at any stage later in the game, not 10% of the cumulative elapsed turns. Still a bonus, but not so compelling.

It seems to me that the two versions stabilize at whatever point in the Ancient Era the human player's civ develops enough to match that of the faster-starting AI, and contact with all competitive civs has been established. After that, the only variance is the lower unit upkeep for Predator AI.

What the bonus means depends on the victory condition. It offers a major research boost to domination and conquest wins involving UUs like those of the Arabs and Vikings, because the game doesn't last more than halfway into the Middle Ages for the top players.

The two caveats that I see are that you have to be a pretty good player in order to take advantage of the Predator differences, and that ultra-early expansion is more difficult on Predator, thereby reducing your Ancient Era strategic options.

Well, I'm actually around 1500 AD (I pray to god that I'm not breaking any spoiler rules here, and if I do, I do by ignorance (english is not my primary language))

Anyways, I'm doing pretty good as the peaceful middle empire with a very strong culture. I don't think I'll get the culture victory as there are some other civs (namely Carthage and France that are pretty close to me in culture)
But a diplomatic victory seems highly possible, everyone like the Arabs in my game :)

Salaam,

[ptw] 1.27 Open

This is my first ever GOTM attempt and let me just say up front that this is a great format. I wish that I had manufactured the time to participate sooner. As others have said too, great map Cracker.

The first mistake, of many, that I made is not taking the time to keep good notes, especially during the early game. I have managed to reconstruct events somewhat from the game replay along with a look at the saves I have. For the next game I will definitely keep good notes, at least for the QSC period, for I really recognize the value of doing so for improving my play (and sharing with others).

I am aiming at a Domination win for consideration in the Medal Play Tournament, even though I can’t play enough games to “qualify” for anything this season. As a last note, I have resolved to wage only honorable wars.

Ancient Age

4000 BC Like many others I moved my scout to the south first revealing the flood plains and decided to move my settler SE into the “nook” in the river.
3950 BC Settled Makkah.

I opted to produce scouts first for exploration trying to exploit the early advantage of being an Expansionist civ. This paid some early dividends. I built a total of four scouts and popped a total of either 5 or 6 goodie huts (my memory is vague on this), garnering 1 advanced tribe-city (far away), 1 settler (also far away), and three conscript warriors. Not too bad, though no techs, as I recall.

2230 BC Settled Madinah (south of Makkah)
Here is a screenshot of the minimap showing exploration (2190 BC):

1990 BC Settled Diriyah (This city was popped from the hut mentioned above. It was quite far from Makkah, being near the east coast of the Pangaea between France and the Zulu on the far side of Spain. I wonder if I will be able to hold it.)
1725 BC Settled Damascus (east)
1150 BC Settled Baghdad (northeast)

570 BC I complete the Pyramids in Makkah. Nice wonder, but this was a mistake. I was concerned about food production from the beginning, but having settled Makkah closer to the flood plains, it was in a good position to produce settlers. The Pyramids seemed to slow growth too much and in retrospect, though a nice wonder for a Pangaea, was not worth it, given my poor expansion in the Ancient Age.

ca 400-300 BC. I am getting some settlers out, but the barbarian activity, which was not that bad at all earlier has really picked up and greatly disrupted the movement of settlers to good locations. Carthage manages to beat me to the good spot south of the lake (after barbarians turn my settler back into the mountains), annoying me to no end, settling the city of Cadiz (you will hear about Cadiz again). The Ottomans manage to beat me to the eastern horses as well. Surrounding civs are starting to close in around me and I am clearly falling behind in the land grab phase of the game, more than negating some early fortune with goodie huts.

230 BC Trading has gone pretty well and I have managed to secure a number of techs and gold by researching the Mysticism, Polytheism, Monarchy line. I manage to secure the Republic and the rest of the Ancient techs through trading. At the end of the Ancient age I have ONLY five cities, one of which is all the way across the continent. I have tech parity with the leading civs, France, Rome, Egypt, and Spain; Zulu and Carthage lack the Republic tech; Ottomans and Persia lack Republic and Construction; and the hopeless Indians lack Republic, Monarchy, Currency, and Construction. I have managed to bankrupt all the other civs except for France (99 gold), while I have gleaned 318 gold and will begin a revolution to Republic. I have not been at war, but barbarians are currently impeding my progress.
Here is a screenshot (230 BC):

On to the Middle Ages.

Link to Middle Ages

Herse

ptw 1.14 predator

back on line after 3 weeks of holiday I can only report QSC. Reached MA at 1150BC (matches with Alan H's observation for predator reports), with 4 massive uprising's of horsemen at my borders, great! France is the research engine of my game. I'm getting close to get the scoring lead, I gather around 700-600 BC I should be there. Decided to go for miltary build up. My army is stronger or equal to all opponents. I'm working on Horsemen now for upgrade. It was difficult to get the horses in supply as our neighbour got the closest one, as usual!

At the end of the QSC period I had:
Cities: 12
Territory: 108
Citizens: 25 (all happy)
Settlers: 2
Workers: 6
Slaves: 2
Warriors: 10
Spearman: 4
Horsemen: 1
Swordsman: 10 (6 vets)
Barracks: 2
Granary: 2
Temple: 3
All AA techs but Republic & Monarchy (almost researched)
Gold: 243
Food: 71
Gold: 36
Contacts: 9

Top Bottom