1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spqr

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by The Guardian, Dec 20, 2012.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

You are indeed correct. There is much work to be done on the civilopedia, and I am still working on that. Currently I am working on the civilopdia for the units. However, if anyone has comments regarding any aspect of the civilopedia, please feel free to post your comments here and I will address those comments as I reach them in the process of working on the civilopedia. Thanks cemo.

2. TomYo689

TomYo689 Emperor

The Etruscan settler requires 2 different shield resources so they can't really make any new settlers after that extra one they start with.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

That is correct, sort of. In order to build settlers you must have two resources and the TECH - The Wheel so that you can build a road to the second resource - Etruria. The same is true with all the other civs.

4. TomYo689

TomYo689 Emperor

Oh it must just be that resource connection error. There is a shield under every city in the editor. In this scenario a resource won't show up unless a 2nd city is roaded to the capital. Maybe in that game I played it didn't connect after that either

5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

What do you mean by 'a second city', exactly?

6. TomYo689

TomYo689 Emperor

City #2 if capital is city #1. It would be impossible for a civ to expand in this scenario if they did not start with an additional settler along with the starting city

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

The required resource is directly next to the capital.

8. TomYo689

TomYo689 Emperor

It would be nice if that helped at all

9. gugu84

gugu84 Chieftain

Hi Guardian,

Although this is my first post on the forum, I've been playing with CivIII mods for like 10 years now.
    First of all I'd like to appreciate all the work you've done to create this GREAT mod, it's an awesome mod, considering only the HUGE map, putting everything in place (land types, resources)...
    What I like the most in this modification:
    - big map
    - plenty of units (I always love variety)
    - plenty of resources

I want to help making the mod better, so please check the feedback from my 1st game:

My remarks / suggestions about the game:
    - barbarians (gauls, germans, iberians) mostly use wardogs + hidden unit (which is GREAT, I want surprises!:))
    - walls can be built in village / town / city, no matter about size (I think it'd be better to have wooden wall --> palisade --> stone wall as an upgrade path to defend the settlement)
    - Roman Tarentine barracks are spawning a Tarentine hoplite every turn (should be corrected to 12 or a higher number)
    - I was never able to build the Circus Maximus wonder, even if I made a settlement within 1 tile of both horse and marble

- Epirus, Tarentum, Massilia stayed with 1 settlement through the game, though Tarentum was able to recruit a huge army (which I ignored by capturing the city instead of dealing with the soldiers :))
    - Carthage grows slowly (only 2 settlements in early game, begin to expand slowly later)
    - Syracuse for some reason stayed in Sicily, not intending to grow any bigger (big +)

Technology: advancing the tech tree is too fast, trading of techs should be either disabled (stealing tech would play a bigger role), or minimal research time should be increased to 8 turns (cost of tech also could be increased)

- trading of contacts / military alliance against another nation should be disabled to prevent Total War (everybody declaring war on everyone, though it's funny :))

- there are no luxury goods in my current game, I think there should be lots of luxury resources and having access to them would be a must to prevent disorder in cities (this way it'd be hard to use newly conquered cities for production until it's attached to the road network)

- to reduce corruption in more distant cities, there should be further buildings reducing corruption - at an increased upkeep cost, 2-3 or even more golds / turn (that way paying price for increased shield production but still making distant cities useful)

- road movement should be increased from 3 to 4-5 to ensure better movement of army over big distances
    - ships movement should be increased (with 50 % at least, making naval units more worthy)
    - there should be 2 major type of ships: transport and warships, making more space on transport ships for soldiers but a lot weaker in defense, and warships with more attacking / defense capability for supporting transport ships

Enslavement system (one reason to break out war is to capture slaves):
    - ability for elite army units to enslave enemy after combat (as it happened in history)
    - slavery work would be half (or even less) efficient as normal worker jobs
    - slightly increase labor for terrain improvements
    - optionally making workers more expensive and double effective to act like engineers
    - giving ability for elite foot units to build road (at low effectiveness), making them useful during peacetime

Modified Army upkeep system:
    - every nation should have 50-100 free units, and support cost should be increased to 3/4 gold / turn for a single unit to prevent too powerful empires without building up the economy first
    - there should be an immobile city guard unit for production (that doesn't require support cost) with higher defense value (6-7) to make it harder for the human player to capture the city (I don't know how much the AI would tend to build this unit type, maybe the cost should be a bit higher and also would require 1-2 population to prevent AI stacking them in cities)

These would be my recommendations for this mod, sorry if it's ahistorical, but I think this mod shouldn't try to achieve 100% historical accuracy, rather making scenarios for alternative antique (hi)stories.

I love this fantastic mod, I wish I only had more time to play with it!! :)

(and I don't know why there are more posts in more recent civilization game topics, I've tried both Civ IV & V and it sucks compared to Civ III, this game still rocks!! I don't care about the graphics at all, gameplay, strategy, tactics are much more important)

Sorry if my English was a bit blurry here & there... :)

Keep up with the good work Guardian!!

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Spoiler :

Thanks for comments gugu84. There are a lots of good comments here. I will look these over more closely and get back to you after I digest it all.

BTW the way, your english is fine. ;)

11. gugu84

gugu84 Chieftain

Is it possible to send a PM here on civfanatics? I couldn't find any possibilities.
    Anyway, I've made some tweaks to the mod, I just want to send it to you to check if you like it, I've changed lots of stuff in the game, if you're interested I can send it to you.
    I haven't tested it deeply, and it'd need some more tweaks, but I've found it much more fun after my first run :)

12. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

@gugu84: You have to have made 5 posts and been registered for 5 days to send a PM :)

13. gugu84

gugu84 Chieftain

oh I see, thanx

So I need 2 more posts :)

Hopefully I'll get it soon :)

14. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

There's an Ask for PMs thread somewhere in Site Feedback or Forum Games IIRC.

15. abie321

abie321 Chieftain

Hi

Would love to run it - but getting Pediacons error...... so cannot load it.... :(

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

Can you be more specific?

17. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Thanks for making this, The Guardian.:) I love this time period. As the sole controller of the British isles, I am pretty safe, but I think an invasion of continental Europe is in order.

Are you still looking for feedback?

18. clamel

clamel Prince

Guardian seams to have taken a brake. Gone over the summer and left this and his Napolenic scenario in the wind. Not been on the forum since May.
    At least this scenario included tons of new units from Imperator, so it was nice that he got out a DL with them all.

Perhaps they could be cleared by Imperator and put on the Database with clear description on what they represent. Thats of course if Guardians doesn´t return and continue develop this scenario that looks so good.

19. PiotrG

PiotrG Chieftain

I agree with a friend clamel.

There are so many cool new units

20. jlvfr

jlvfr King

Hia folks

I started on this scenario a couple of days ago, and now am stuck on an error. Maybe anyone found this?

Civ keeps crashing with an error asking for a file called "base.flc", on the "Tarantine Hoplite" folder. The ini of that unit did refer to such a file, but the file doesn't exist. I altered the ini, switching "base.flc" to "run.flc" (to imitate the old "TarantineHoplite" folder) but the game STILL asks for "base.flc", and I can't find any reference to this file in any other *.ini! Anyone had this problem?

EDIT: ok, forget this. I retried the game, and it now works. For some reason, the ini alteration seems to not have worked when I started game... but now it does... magic?...