Spring Patch Info

Generally, taking and holding foreign cities is way too easy. There should be much more emphasis on leaving a powerful garrison there, particularly in large cities - an newly captured undefended city should have very large change of spawning rebels or loosing massive loyalty, conversely posting a garrison should give a significant loyalty boost. In general, capturing a city should spawn a number of rebel units belonging to the former owner, to make it more difficult to hold the city, and to give the AI some help in controlling further advance. Razing cities should carry significant penalties,

I would actually be okay with cities spawning Partisans like back in Civ2, but beef them up to be more than just a nuisance like Partisans were. The AI needs help defensively, and this is the way to do it. It gives a legitimate gameplay reason to give the AI free units so it doesn't feel like unfair cheating. I would rather have this than have more warmongering penalties, or more penalties to loyalty (though I'm okay with being essentially required to keep a garrison in newly conquered cities). This would greatly increase the number of units you need for successful conquest, so you have to invest more resources in order to gain resources. This makes the most sense. And razing cities should also create Partisans.

I loved an idea I heard where unit maintenance costs should increase if they're in enemy territory, maybe even as much as +100%. This would punish warmongering and would also be realistic. If you're planning a war you need to make sure to save up some cash first, because war is expensive. We could even see extended wars bankrupt countries and force them to sue for peace/withdraw.

Bad idea. It incentivises taking enemy cities more, and punishes slow units.

Everything I’ve read about R&F makes it sound more and more like a beta for the next expansion. Loyalty and Free Cities in particular seem very undercooked.

To be clear, I’m not actually complaining. But makes me think I’m better waiting for the next expansion before spending more money on Civ...

Everything I’ve read about R&F makes it sound more and more like a beta for the next expansion. Loyalty and Free Cities in particular seem very undercooked.

To be clear, I’m not actually complaining. But makes me think I’m better waiting for the next expansion before spending more money on Civ...

No that's not true. Things can be improved, but that's always true. It's true about everything. If you keep waiting for "the perfect thing" you'll be waiting a long time.

I don't think you are doing this but the "it's a BETA!" thing gets a bit old.

Loyalty's a solid base system. There's a lot of stuff that can be done with it in the future to make it feel better integrated into the overall game, but to be honest, it's such a new system that I think the developers needed to release it into the wild to see how it works at the core before getting too complicated with it. So I think the developers are taking the right approach here, and I'm encouraged to see them building on the base with the addition of religious effects in the upcoming patch.

Free Cities are a fall out of Loyalty and were a make shift solution late in the development of R&F when the developers realized that cities flipping directly from one civ to another was too drastic. I don't think fixing them would be too hard, but it is true that the development team needs to look at this. I'd favour a 10 turn "free" period at which point they either join another civ (if sufficiently influenced) or else revive their former civ if they originally belong to a since eliminated civ or else become a City State (with either their original bonuses if they were originally a City State or else a set of generic bonuses).

I'd favour a 10 turn "free" period at which point they either join another civ (if sufficiently influenced) or else revive their former civ if they originally belong to a since eliminated civ or else become a City State (with either their original bonuses if they were originally a City State or else a set of generic bonuses).
Yes, some sort of mechanism where a captured city state could liberate itself if the capturing civ loses it to loyalty would be great.

Well, the patch delay has given me the chance to see how much I can get out of Magnus chop overflows. Nothing spectacular so far, but I haven't really tried to abuse it before, something different to think about.
I was about to suggest something similar. If anyone is wary to start a new game before the patch drops, they can just take this time to experiment with a new strategy they've never tried before. Play outside the box, maybe on Online speed on a Duel or Tiny map. Use a different approach to the early game or select a different Pantheon that everyone says is crap. There's nothing to lose if you're not playing a serious game, and it might be a fun distraction from the normal routine.

I was about to suggest something similar. If anyone is wary to start a new game before the patch drops, they can just take this time to experiment with a new strategy they've never tried before. Play outside the box, maybe on Online speed on a Duel or Tiny map. Use a different approach to the early game or select a different Pantheon that everyone says is crap. There's nothing to lose if you're not playing a serious game, and it might be a fun distraction from the normal routine.

Maybe I'll do a scenario. Babes of the Nile or whatever its called.

I loved an idea I heard where unit maintenance costs should increase if they're in enemy territory, maybe even as much as +100%. This would punish warmongering and would also be realistic. If you're planning a war you need to make sure to save up some cash first, because war is expensive. We could even see extended wars bankrupt countries and force them to sue for peace/withdraw.

Oh yeah. Let's make a game where you have to go to war and then we'll punish you for going to war. What fun.

Oh yeah. Let's make a game where you have to go to war and then we'll punish you for going to war. What fun.

Some modern people expect a pacifistic, political correct 4X-Strategy-(War)Game where leaders are rated in moral categories like being good or evil.

You could look at it that way.

You could also look at it that war is the easy way to win (just read the forums), and this would punish the easy way to win.

I don't know what I think about the suggestion, but it's reasonable that units out on tour would require more upkeep. You're lucky the game doesn't have a "supply lines" mechanic.

Last edited:
What patch delay???

There is evidence that the patch was supposed to be a week ago, but has been delayed. They released a patch preview video by accident and then removed it minutes later last Wednesday. They they released it again on Thursday. The qa build updates stopped, then ran for 4 days straight including a Saturday, then stopped again.

It seems like they are struggling with a bug and don't want to release it into the wild. Which is actually commendable, so I don't have hard feelings about the delay.

It seems like they are struggling with a bug and don't want to release it into the wild. Which is actually commendable, so I don't have hard feelings about the delay.
I agree. As much as some people complain about the patch's delay, if they were to release it with a known bug, people would have Friaxis' heads on a pike knight's lance (apparently Pike's are useless).

There is evidence that the patch was supposed to be a week ago, but has been delayed. They released a patch preview video by accident and then removed it minutes later last Wednesday. They they released it again on Thursday. The qa build updates stopped, then ran for 4 days straight including a Saturday, then stopped again.

HAHAHAHAHA!! No, they should release it so we can fix it for them.... I am really amazed that Firaxis, given their long history in the business and success, can be out done by much lesser known companies. Afaik they only got 1 guy working on AI, multiple times they have misspelled coding (yes, I am aware of how difficult it can be) and failed to fix things or implement things that modders are doing. Once again they have proven that we are beta testers. Their patch strategy and dismal patch notes just absolutely blow my mind. But at the same time and in the same breath Civ6 is the best they they have came up with since 3/4. I never played much of 4 because right from day 1 and for a month after purchase anyone with an AMD gpu couldn't play the game.

I'm not angry buy disappointed that they are not as forthcoming with information/communications with the actual players of the game. Remember a company that doesn't listen to its customers wont be a company for long. (DISCLAIMER: DOES NOT APPLY TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY.)

"A patch is never early or late. It is released at the precise time its was ment to be."

And if you are actually in the game when the patch drops, you can still keep playing without the game ever updating, correct? That's another option for those who want to start a game. Just have to keep the game running is all.

I think just releasing the patch notes would tide me over for a week.

It's perfectly understandable for them to withhold the patch notes until the actual patch itself is released. If they've delayed the patch because they're still working out bugs then there's a chance something might have to be reworked or scrapped altogether, which means the actual patch itself might not match the patch notes, which in turn could upset people.

Dont really mind if there is a slight delay. The weather is way to hot in the Netherlands to be playing video games at the attic at 28 degrees tomorrow.
I would get way more frustrated knowing i could play an interesting patch but i couldn`t really, as me and my gpu would melt.

Top Bottom