Spring Patch Info

Now they do. I don't believe they did in 1969, however. After crashing a several hundred million dollar probe in the 90's because of mistaking metric units for English units they decided to go metric all the way.

But if you ask them about distance walked on the moon they'll probably answer in metric.

In other words, number of feet walked on the moon: Zero.

I suppose, it isn't the Meter alone, but that with Meter, kiloGramm, Second, Ampere and Kelvin alone ALL physical effects can be described without any adaptive factors.

(kiloGramm is a bit flawed though: as base unit it contains a multiplier - which I had to learn painfully, when I had given a density in milliGramm/milliLiter ... I bought a kiloGramm and dissolved it in a Liter of water, which weights 1 kiloGramm, simply 1:1 ...)

I suppose, it isn't the Meter alone, but that with Meter, kiloGramm, Second, Ampere and Kelvin alone ALL physical effects can be described without any adaptive factors.

(kiloGramm is a bit flawed though: as base unit it contains a multiplier - which I had to learn painfully, when I had given a density in milliGramm/milliLiter ... I bought a kiloGramm and dissolved it in a Liter of water, which weights 1 kiloGramm, simply 1:1 ...)

Joule, Volt, Ohm, Newton, etc etc etc.

(or did you mean the absolute 'base' units, that other units can be conversed into? Because the meter is defined through the second (and speed of light) and therefore not one of them)

I learned that in high school physics, very confusing.

Yeah exactly, so what I was saying is you were knocking Suleiman for not being the original Kaysier-i Rum, but I would say that (even though it was the first to be stated that way) Mehmed wasn't the first the use the title either.
Who used the title before Mehmed II? I think it was a conscious choice to coin it on his part, though to be sure Byzantine rulers considered themselves heirs to Rome without using the "Kayser-I-Rum" title.

I wasn't knocking Suleiman, lol. I was pointing out he would be a stale choice (which he would be, having been in Civ for most Civ games as Turkey's leader), and noting he wasn't the one to coin the title (which he wasn't).

Absolutley!

The Napoleonic Code continues to be very influential in the world today. Certainly a greater influence to the world compared to the U.S. Constitution.

Napoleon was very interested and supportive of Education and Science. Some of the highlights here are the first state funded and controlled public elementary education and a large support and push for accessible secondary education to all. The African campaign included a large number of scientists and engineers resulting in the discovery of the Rosetta Stone.

The notion of a "Napoleon complex"is false. Nappy was average height.
Napoleon is a fitting leader for France, but isn't he a somewhat tired choice in Civ? He's more of a challenge to fight in Age of Empires III than in any Civ game (even Civ IV).

I would rather have Henri IV "the Good" for France who started as one of the most hated in France and ended his reign as one of the most loved. He also did much to end the religious civil war in France at that time, unlike Catherine de Medici (who, while cunning and capable, did more to fan the flames than end the wars ultimately).

Or we could have Cardinal Richelieu lead France in Civ VII--that would be awesome. Even if his inevitable spy bonuses might mirror CdM of Civ VI a tad too much.

Who used the title before Mehmed II? I think it was a conscious choice to coin it on his part, though to be sure Byzantine rulers considered themselves heirs to Rome without using the "Kayser-I-Rum" title.

Caesar, Kaiser, Keizer, Tsar, Kayser, etc are all the same. So yeah, he wasn't the first. Maybe he was the first who used it with his local variation, but he wasn't the first.

I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this thread for info about the patch. I'm learning a lot about Thanos and Napoleon though.

About three seconds after the patch hits, you will probably see a new stickied thread with the patch notes. That's what I've been keeping an eye out for. Then I will be watching the ynaemp thread to see if the sound issue has truly been fixed.

But if you ask them about distance walked on the moon they'll probably answer in metric.

In other words, number of feet walked on the moon: Zero.
Number of feet walked on the moon: 24.
  1. Neil Armstrong
  2. Buzz Aldrin
  3. Pete Conrad
  4. Alan Bean
  5. Alan Shepard
  6. Edgar Mitchell
  7. David Scott
  8. James Irwin
  9. John Young
  10. Charles Duke
  11. Eugene Cernan
  12. Harrison Schmitt
x2 feet on each of them.

Yeah, some countries, which had the misfortune to be not conquered by him are still today using funny measures for length, weight, etc. ... driving on the wrong side of the street ... and so on ;)

Just posting this because I accidentally hit the quote button whilst scrolling through this thread. Now I can't seem to get rid of it. Tried everything but the quote always pops back up at the bottom. Hopefully posting this will make it go away.

EDIT: Success!

Moderator Action: In future, just use the back space button until the text is gone. leif

Last edited by a moderator:

(or did you mean the absolute 'base' units, that other units can be conversed into? Because the meter is defined through the second (and speed of light) and therefore not one of them)
The convention is L (length , m) ,T (time, s) , M (mass , kg) from which all of the other metrics can be derived as a composite of those three.

Some discipline add Kelvin (even so temperature is arguably only kinetic energy) or n as mols (even so it is a basic counter with no actual metric associated) .

The convention is L (length , m) ,T (time, s) , M (mass , kg) from which all of the other metrics can be derived as a composite of those three.

Some discipline add Kelvin (even so temperature is arguably only kinetic energy) or n as mols (even so it is a basic counter with no actual metric associated) .

But m is defined as the speed of light s^-1.

Also, isn't lumen one of the basic ones too, as well as ampere?

Ok. In all seriousness Firaxis may have to rename it the Summer patch...cos the English have started to look disturbingly like something between red lobsters and cooked shrimp :lol:

...and that does not happen in Spring, you hear me?!

Caesar, Kaiser, Keizer, Tsar, Kayser, etc are all the same. So yeah, he wasn't the first. Maybe he was the first who used it with his local variation, but he wasn't the first.
Disagree. Mehmed II was the first to use the "Kayser-I-Rum" title which is different to "Kaiser" (for example) in meaning, context and application even if both denote leader roles and derive from the Roman "Caesar".

Meter, kiloGramm, Second, Ampere and Kelvin
Obviously I forgot the Candela ...

Yes, etc, etc: My favorite shortcut was '1 NewtonMeter == 1 WattSecond' :)

Because the meter is defined through the second (and speed of light) and therefore not one of them)
Uhhmm, but the speed of light contains e.g. the meter: it is 299 792 458 Meter per Second (or about 30 CentiMeter per nanoSecond if you look at CPUs and ask How high the clockrates may go further / nanoSecond # GigaHertz).
The Meter is independant - if you take another lenght unit, then you just get another value for your 'speed of light'-constant.

You cannot become rid of the lenght unit: define it along with the time unit and find the speed constant.
Or define the time unit along with the speed constant and find the lenght unit.

The 6 or 7 physical values, iammaxhailme pointed to, are independant. All other are derivable from them.

Top Bottom