Spring Patch Info

I can't find anything online to back my claims either. Therefore, I must retract my statement.
I think it was Socrates (and other men) whom Alcibiades had relations with or tried to have relations with (he was apparently very good looking and something of a player). Still, this triggered a fun history search! :)

(I take this opportunity to point out Civ VI's Pericles looks more like the historic Socrates than the historic Pericles. Could Firaxis please patch Pericles' patchy beard and particularly large helmet for the spring patch?)

Last edited:
I think it was Socrates (and other men) whom Alcibiades had relations with or tried to have relations with (he was apparently very good looking and something of a player). Still, this triggered a fun history search! :)

(I take this opportunity to point out Civ VI's Pericles looks more like the historic Socrates than the historic Pericles.)

Yes. The wikipedia article on Alcibiades said that Socrates was his lover that he revered above all others.

Yes. The wikipedia article on Alcibiades said that Socrates was his lover that he revered above all others.
Yup, a curious thing indeed! Almost as curious as Alcibiades' later betrayal of Athens.

It was Mehmed II who styled himself the Kayser-i-Rum, not Suleiman (though it did carry as a title after Mehmed II coined it). If Mehmed II was added that would be the first pederast in the Civilization series, to my knowledge.
Sure but it isn't like Mehmed II was the first use the name. Most of the subsequent empires had a Caesar one way or another, yet they were always a bridesmaid never a Roman.

And besides you do realize the difference between Mehmed and Suleiman.
Spoiler :

He makes this look magnificent.

Ah, Suleiman the Backstabber Magnificent and his onion hat.

It would be nice if they made his turban look like the one in the picture if he gets picked as the leader of the Ottoman Empire again.

Sure but it isn't like Mehmed II was the first use the name. Most of the subsequent empires had a Caesar one way or another, yet they were always a bridesmaid never a Roman.

And besides you do realize the difference between Mehmed and Suleiman.
Spoiler :

He makes this look magnificent.

His thought process: "I'm gonna grow a huge garlic and wear it as a hat". Guess that's fair enough as it's almost same period as Vlad the Impaler :)

I should try to bring that back in style.

No patch this week, but we all knew that was a long shot. I have a good feeling about next week though.

Mehmed II was the first to create the "Kayser-i-Rum" title no? Many subsequent Empires had a Caesar who did not necessarily identify as a Caesar. Though it's true many Ottoman sultans saw themselves as heirs to Rome in a way. While I like Suleiman I think he's a bit stale in Civ. He, and Ottomans generally, have never been particularly interesting ingame as much as they were historically.

Maybe a different sultan can be in VI? Maybe even a more modern reformer leader like Abdulmejid. Unless Firaxis does not include Ottomans this Civ round (and triggers a riot).

Mehmed II was the first to create the "Kayser-i-Rum" title no? Many subsequent Empires had a Caesar who did not necessarily identify as a Caesar. Though it's true many Ottoman sultans saw themselves as heirs to Rome in a way. While I like Suleiman I think he's a bit stale in Civ. He, and Ottomans generally, have never been particularly interesting ingame as much as they were historically.

Maybe a different sultan can be in VI? Maybe even a more modern reformer leader like Abdulmejid. Unless Firaxis does not include Ottomans this Civ round (and triggers a riot).

I agree that previous incarnations (Civ V in particular) have been underwhelming. I don't think we need to preclude Suleiman for that reason though. He presided over the Ottomans at their greatest geographical expanse and height of culture and wealth. His Ottomans could easily be diplomatic, cultural, or economic. I'd prefer him over Mehmed II, who would surely be a generic warmonger just like the Civ V Ottomans. Alternatively, there were some weaker, but weirder Sultans from later in the Empire and some Sultanas and Viziers that could provide some interesting choices.

I agree that previous incarnations (Civ V in particular) have been underwhelming. I don't think we need to preclude Suleiman for that reason though. He presided over the Ottomans at their greatest geographical expanse and height of culture and wealth. His Ottomans could easily be diplomatic, cultural, or economic. I'd prefer him over Mehmed II, who would surely be a generic warmonger just like the Civ V Ottomans. Alternatively, there were some weaker, but weirder Sultans from later in the Empire and some Sultanas and Viziers that could provide some interesting choices.
Kösem Sultana? :p Most powerful at least.

Well not this week is good. Playing as Brazil for the first time and having a brutal time trying to place districts in rainforest for bonus adjacency but at the same time save the rainforest for other adjacency bonuses. They are quite a fun civ

Didn't realize the deaths head can be linked to Germany back to Keiser Wilhelm days

It's the Death's Head Hussar uniform that he's wearing. A light cavalry unit dating back to Frederick the Great's Prussia. They were rather famous during the Seven Years' War, Napoleonic era, etc.

Also, he looks ridiculous wearing it.

He did but a Kayser is a Kaiser is a Tsar so I would really award him much in the originality points. But what else would you call yourself after the conquering of the Second Rome?

He did but a Kayser is a Kaiser is a Tsar so I would really award him much in the originality points. But what else would you call yourself after the conquering of the Second Rome?
"Kaiser" is the Classical Latin pronunciation of "Caesar" so it's not quite as original as we may think. Similarly, "Rum" = "Rome", and he was sort of copying the Byzantine belief that they were heirs to Rome and/or actually Roman (regardless of the language switch from Latin to Greek later in the empire's day).

Richard III would be great.
I;d prefer noblest king to miser king any day.

He should be an archeological dog reward. Bonus points if you dig him up under a parking lot...or closest thing in the game to one. Maybe a government complex?

Richard III would be great.
I;d prefer noblest king to miser king any day.

Henry Tudor is a great historical character. One of the best known rulers of England in middle ages. Perhaps second only after Elisabeth.
Why should you be a great ruler to earn your place as a civ leader. Characters who fail horribly at pretty much everything are way more interesting. Its not only wins on the battlefield that counts. (Where are you napoleon in civ 6?)
Would instantly pay 5 euro`s just to see his face on a leader screen.

"Kaiser" is the Classical Latin pronunciation of "Caesar" so it's not quite as original as we may think. Similarly, "Rum" = "Rome", and he was sort of copying the Byzantine belief that they were heirs to Rome and/or actually Roman (regardless of the language switch from Latin to Greek later in the empire's day).
Yeah exactly, so what I was saying is you were knocking Suleiman for not being the original Kaysier-i Rum, but I would say that (even though it was the first to be stated that way) Mehmed wasn't the first the use the title either.

Where are you napoleon in civ 6?
Napoleon is one of the most misunderstood leaders outside their home country. His laws are still used to this day, he was more than just a battlefield leader, he was visionary.

Top Bottom