Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

So, what is your routine like? Any supplements? How long did it take you to see results? What are your goals for the future?

My only comment is that you won't much improve your run time lifting weights 6 days a week and running 1 day a week for a rest. :)

And whey is a waste if you aren't doing muscle building (weights, sprints).

Supplements: I like ZMA (zinc magnesium aspartate), asprin, and multi-vitamins. Then good nutrition including some anti-oxidents in drink form (tea-black and green, cranberry juice, pomegrante juice). Then, budget willing I'd consider fish oil, creatine, and glutamine. But most nutritional store stuff is garbage, and probably not even warranted to actually contain the amounts that is on the label. If you take anything, be sure to look at how extensively there has been clinical research on it. If the research is weak, inconclusive, or just plain contrary, then better off buying penny stocks.

On running shoes, I dig ASICS too (though I used to like those japanese running flats Mizumo).

My workout is mostly moderate reps 8-15 dumbells, circuit training, and some mild cardio on a machine (eliptical). Also use the bench to do push-ups and dips in different positions. Mostly I use a ball to do abs. Might start up running again.

My only comment is that you won't much improve your run time lifting weights 6 days a week and running 1 day a week for a rest. :)

And whey is a waste if you aren't doing muscle building (weights, sprints).

Supplements: I like ZMA (zinc magnesium aspartate), asprin, and multi-vitamins. Then good nutrition including some anti-oxidents in drink form (tea-black and green, cranberry juice, pomegrante juice). Then, budget willing I'd consider fish oil, creatine, and glutamine. But most nutritional store stuff is garbage, and probably not even warranted to actually contain the amounts that is on the label. If you take anything, be sure to look at how extensively there has been clinical research on it. If the research is weak, inconclusive, or just plain contrary, then better off buying penny stocks.

On running shoes, I dig ASICS too (though I used to like those japanese running flats Mizumo).

My workout is mostly moderate reps 8-15 dumbells, circuit training, and some mild cardio on a machine (eliptical). Also use the bench to do push-ups and dips in different positions. Mostly I use a ball to do abs. Might start up running again.

yeah, im gonna have to switch it up starting next week. Doing runs in the morning and lifting at night but scaling back the lifting to 3 days a week.

2 Words: Marathon Training.

I'm entered in the Rock N Roll Marathon in Seattle (June 25th). So now it's time to train like crazy.

Suggestions and help needed!

I found I got a lot more out of my runs when I started paying a LOT more attention to my diet. I couldn't "work out by eating a bunch of fast food" and run more than 7 miles.

What are you current runs looking like? When I train, I'd run 3 or 4 miles at the start of the week, another slightly longer run, then my "long run", which was usually a mile longer than my last "long run", and then a short one to end the week.

I basically stop lifting when I seriously train for a long race though.

I found I got a lot more out of my runs when I started paying a LOT more attention to my diet. I couldn't "work out by eating a bunch of fast food" and run more than 7 miles.

What are you current runs looking like? When I train, I'd run 3 or 4 miles at the start of the week, another slightly longer run, then my "long run", which was usually a mile longer than my last "long run", and then a short one to end the week.

I basically stop lifting when I seriously train for a long race though.

My current runs are about 3-4 miles every other day (Run in the morning, Lift at night). I havent started doing long runs on the weekend yet. I do them mostly on the treadmill, but I figure that I'll start doing outdoor runs instead.

My current runs are about 3-4 miles every other day (Run in the morning, Lift at night). I havent started doing long runs on the weekend yet. I do them mostly on the treadmill, but I figure that I'll start doing outdoor runs instead.

Do you run on a gradient on the treadmill?

I'm currently training to fight in a knockdown karate tournament this summer, for my physical training I've been working out with my girlfriend because it's a good way to stay motivated and she's tough enough to help push me.

We've been doing something along the lines of:
20 minutes on the elliptical for cardio - This really needs to be increased to 30 soon.
Our 30-50 aka 30 knuckle pushups and 50 full crunches intermixed.
Various work with machines, I typically make sure I do rowing and some leg ones but I never create an exact schedule this way I keep myself out of a routine. I also try to get at least 2 sets of 5 pull-ups in this part.
For abs we do situps with a 12lb medicine ball on an incline bench, we do 30 counting every time we toss the ball to our partner so 60 in all (30 with the medicine ball 30 without). Then we use the oblique abdominal crunch machine for 3 sets of ten. We follow this with about 50 boxer sit-ups (raise legs partner pushes them down) and sometimes about 1 minute of plank if we aren't feeling it yet
To finish we stretch and practice round house kicks to the outer thigh and stomach. eg one person stands and takes ten hard kicks to the stomach then we switch, for both legs.
Finally we usually hit pads for awhile and/or spar for technique and extra cardio.

My main goal isn't to bulk up, just to increase speed and power while staying in my weight class (<165). Also it's important to get resistance to taking hits, hence our kick drills where we hit as hard as we can without knocking the wind out of each other or causing really serious bruising.

Any good ideas to add to this? Especially in the cardio and abs departments?

I don't know if this would help or be redundant, but hooking you legs around a bar and hanging upside and then doing "sit ups" is a full ab work out that you might enjoy.

I'm currently training to fight in a knockdown karate tournament this summer, for my physical training I've been working out with my girlfriend because it's a good way to stay motivated and she's tough enough to help push me.

I used to do traditional Kyokushin karate way back in the day. Tough and painful stuff. No punches to the head in full-contact fights, which may be considered a pretty big plot hole (so to speak) but that was because it was strictly bareknuckle and punching bareknuckle to the head just doesn't end well for either party. Roundhouse kicks to the head were legal, though.

Various work with machines, I typically make sure I do rowing and some leg ones but I never create an exact schedule this way I keep myself out of a routine. I also try to get at least 2 sets of 5 pull-ups in this part.

I recommend you ditch the strength machines and do your strength work with free weights and bodyweight exercises instead. Far more functional. Also, do create a schedule and stick to a routine. Far, far more efficient than doing whatever comes to mind. Your routine should include heavy squats and deadlifts because there is absolutely nothing better for strengthening the body as a whole.

My main goal isn't to bulk up, just to increase speed and power while staying in my weight class (<165).

Bulking up ain't going to happen unless you eat at a calorie surplus, anyway. Not physically possible. End of story.

If you want to increase speed and power, in particular, it might be very well worth learning the olympic lifts. Or at least power cleans. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

I mean, it is not possible to get good at that stuff without developing some rather impressive explosive power from the legs up, and as we know that is exactly what drives your punches and kicks.

I want to see some b4/after pics, that'll inspire me. If I were wealthy I'd give a cash payout to the most impressive.

For the powertraining for fighting, one exercise that I really appreciated was car-pushing. You go into a church parking lot on weekday evenings, and your friend drives in neutral. The goal is to push the car as fast as you can, for thirty seconds. Now, you probably won't be able to do 30 seconds, because at full effort, you should have trouble going past 14 or so seconds. The benefit of pushing a car is that it's explosive and full-body. It's also perfectly resistant, because it's your strength that's limiting your speed - you can always push faster. The exercise is also concentric-only, which is important for healing.

I tried to do 10 sets, but rarely got above six. It's a perfect level of intensity, imo.

If your fighting system has any grappling, then you're making a big mistake if you're not doing pull-ups

funny how fitness threads quickly turn into martial arts threads. I'm currently learning tai chi and when I have it down I'm going to learn more muscle-based fighting techniques. Right now I'm enjoying exploring the power of internal energy.

funny how fitness threads quickly turn into martial arts threads. I'm currently learning tai chi and when I have it down I'm going to learn more muscle-based fighting techniques. Right now I'm enjoying exploring the power of internal energy.

The era of fat MMA fighters is over! OVER I SAY!

Let the push hands begin.

I don't know if this would help or be redundant, but hooking you legs around a bar and hanging upside and then doing "sit ups" is a full ab work out that you might enjoy.
That's a good idea, I have done something similar with people. Basically you pull a "Guard" and they stand up then you do full sit-ups on them. I do these with a larger friend when I can and my girlfriend does them when we work, but I can't because she can't stand w/me like that. I will definitely try using a bar for them.

I used to do traditional Kyokushin karate way back in the day. Tough and painful stuff. No punches to the head in full-contact fights, which may be considered a pretty big plot hole (so to speak) but that was because it was strictly bareknuckle and punching bareknuckle to the head just doesn't end well for either party. Roundhouse kicks to the head were legal, though.
Yeah, I've been into this lately because I want to do fairly hardcore fighting, but have no interest in getting knocked out. Brain damage doesn't go well with being a mathematician. I've been sparring this way for awhile and am ready to finally start prepping to compete this way. The tournament I'm actually going to is Yoshukai Karate, but the rules are similar to Kyokushin.

I recommend you ditch the strength machines and do your strength work with free weights and bodyweight exercises instead. Far more functional. Also, do create a schedule and stick to a routine. Far, far more efficient than doing whatever comes to mind. Your routine should include heavy squats and deadlifts because there is absolutely nothing better for strengthening the body as a whole.
I've heard this before but I really hate free weights for some reason. just can't motivate myself to use them, I definately do a good number of bodyweight exercises though (pushups, pull ups, crunches, etc.)

If you want to increase speed and power, in particular, it might be very well worth learning the olympic lifts. Or at least power cleans. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

I mean, it is not possible to get good at that stuff without developing some rather impressive explosive power from the legs up, and as we know that is exactly what drives your punches and kicks.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

For the powertraining for fighting, one exercise that I really appreciated was car-pushing. You go into a church parking lot on weekday evenings, and your friend drives in neutral. The goal is to push the car as fast as you can, for thirty seconds. Now, you probably won't be able to do 30 seconds, because at full effort, you should have trouble going past 14 or so seconds. The benefit of pushing a car is that it's explosive and full-body. It's also perfectly resistant, because it's your strength that's limiting your speed - you can always push faster. The exercise is also concentric-only, which is important for healing.

I tried to do 10 sets, but rarely got above six. It's a perfect level of intensity, imo.

If your fighting system has any grappling, then you're making a big mistake if you're not doing pull-ups
That's another really cool idea I'm definitely going to try some, thanks! And I'm definitely doing pull ups, they are pretty hard for me at the moment I only do about 10-15 per work out in 2-3 sets. I know I need to work up to a lot more.

Any ideas on cardio that aren't boring? Honestly elliptical/biking/running bore me very badly and while I can force myself to do them I end up not doing enough. My best cardio comes from sparring and hitting pads, but you can't really do that enough to be a sufficient cardio workout.

@Hygro
I train in Aikido primarily so I hear where your coming from. I've been branching out into harder arts for the last year or so though.

Top Bottom