Standard (80x52) World Map TSL

@ Lehnardtsson: The latest version is attached to a .rar file in the OP. Download and follow the installation instructions and it should be good to go.

@ Vibe: I have seriously considered releasing a map with a significantly reduced number of Civs as well as only old world Civs etc. Your list is close to my plans for the latter but you've included every African Civ and removed a number of Civs in the more high-powered regions (Europe and Middle East in particular struck me). There's actually a reasonably strong argument to be made for that approach, as it might help ensure a more consistent historical development. It might, however, make it too historically consistent. There is also the issue that Germany rarely survives long enough between France and Russia to warrant inclusion in any reduced Civ map.

Your suggested city-states, however, are both beyond the scope of this mod and against my preference to keep things as vanilla as possible. It's largely for this reason that there is a DLC map at all - if I was modding in Civs/City-States I'd ignore DLC altogether. It's a tempting approach but in the interests of not letting this project run away on me (I've still to get a working settings selection screen in order!) I fear that I'm unlikely to add those city-states in.

I'm more curious though why you want to remove Jerusalem. Testing made it pretty clear that Suez was basically a non-starter on most playthroughs unless the human got a chance to settle the city himself, and although the trip around S. Africa is not terribly long, Suez is still an important site that adds interest to the map. Have you encountered something that would suggest its removal would be of benefit?

Well, i haven't yet tryed the map, but doesn't jerusalem "block" arabia from expanding. the civilization list was just my picks. its really hard to pick only 10-12 civilizations so i decided to leave out england and spain. of course you could change this to remove carthage, germany and arabia and add england, spain and the byzantine. England could do really well with tradition+left commerence and beeline to astronomy to colonise americas. Spain could expand to north africa and americas. Its just a matter of taste which civs do you want in. About those citystates you can just rename the cities in worldbuilder. But if you dont want to do so, its OK.

I tried the renaming option before and never managed to get it to work. It would always come up as 'TXT_KEY_X' ingame.

Jerusalem kinda blocks Arab expansion, but they have two easily accessible city sites - one to their east at the other end of the Saudi penisula and another up between the two rivers. The AI does settle there if it has the chance, almost always on the former and if Persia buggers up on the latter. On the other hand, playtesting without Jerusalem found that usually Egypt went north to settle roughly in Alexandria, which blocked Arabia anyway.

It is tough to reduce the Civ list. I think you're right in that removing England and Spain (and Japan) are good moves in any reduced civ listing, primarily on account of the fact that they typically do so poorly. Germany I also think is an easy write-off, as probably are Carthage and Ethiopia. I think the real issue is whether the reduced Civ listing would have Arabia, Persia, Byzantium, Turks or even the Huns, Babylon would actually be ideal. There's probably only room for one of them.

Any news here ?

Any news here ?

Unfortunately, with the semester well and truly started my free time has gone from 'very little' to 'hahahaha, all your free time belongs to us', hence why there've been no updates to the Russia LP or the map.

On the other hand, aside from the setup screen problem I think the map(s) are pretty good as they are now. The only possible inclusion to the map pack that is really being considered is a 'Limited Civs' map with maybe half the number of Civs that are currently in play but I don't consider this a major priority because you can very easily adjust this yourself through the worldbuilder.

Hi! I am currently playing a game as France and it's heap of fun (g&k version)!
This map is exactly what I was looking for: a real world feel but I don't need to but a super computer from NASA.
Most civ are happy with just one city when they could be building more (well, except cathy!). I got 13 denoucements after ending isabella :p
Well done!

Veneke.

I absolutely love your map!! ( happy! happy!! joy !!! joy!!!! ).
Can you please do a large version of it . That would be awesome mate.

Best regards

Attachments

• image-161210135.jpg
    image-161210135.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 358
Glad you're enjoying the map Avatan and Madlion!

One of the driving reasons behind why I made this map was because of the plethora of very well crafted Earth maps of larger sizes and the dearth of available maps in the standard size. I'm still of the opinion that Civ 5 is so poorly optimized that anything larger than standard size is a non-starter without a huge rig of a computer and a willingness to put up with serious lag. I haven't played in some time but I've not seen anything that suggests this has changed (if it can even be changed).

For both of these reasons I have no intention of redrawing the map at a larger size. I would, however, recommend Gedemon's earth pack for a good huge earth map selection and Vadus' large earth map which was the basis for this map.

In addition, if anyone is curious, there will be a new version of this map released for BNW.

Egypt can't build a city on Mediterranean Sea, you should correct this...

Huh, I never noticed that. The region has always developed pretty acceptably in my playthroughs but moving Thebes 1 SW or SE shouldn't affect anything terribly significantly and would allow for there to be a city on the Med between Carthage and Jerusalem.

Very good catch.

I've tidied up the map pack so that you are now only presented with four maps; a Vanilla version (basically the Gods and Kings version but with the new things removed), a Gods and Kings version with 21 Civs and 17 City States, a Gods and Kings version with 22 Civs and 17 City States that requires the Inca DLC and a Gods and Kings version with 8 Civs and 16 City States. All four have fixed Egypt's starting position to allow for a city to be built on the Mod between it, Carthage and Jerusalem. OP has been updated.

I've never been that interessed in world maps but this map just seems made for me since I always play with alot of civs on a Standard map, because I love the crowded civ maps with not that much cities so I'm certainly gonna try this!

Are you planning a BNW version as well? I could imagine that there would be room for the Zulu and Brazil, and the probable new Native American and let's hope for the new Asian civ, and maybe some new city-states.

EDIT: woops, I missed your announcement a few posts back concerning the BNW version. I can't wait for it!

Glad to see that you're going to give it a try EgyptRaider. Yes, you're quite right that there will be a BNW map once it's released. Obviously no changes are set in stone, but these are my thoughts on changes based on what we know so far:

North America:

La Venta will go, replaced by Panama city 2 SW. Panama is further north than I'd like but putting it where it actually is would mean that the Mayans are not in S. America and that does not work for balance, especially if Brazil is the powerhouse I kinda expect it to be.

South America:

Brazil will take the place of the Incas and RdJ is obviously gone. I'm considering removing El Dorado. To be honest, I'm kinda hoping for a new city-state to go somewhere in S. America.

Africa:

Zulus are definitely going to be included, probably swapping out Carthage for them. Cape Town will have to go. M'banza-Kongo will be included where it should be. I suspect that we'll see a number of new African Natural Wonders given the scenario and its conditions, these will all be included (provided they don't bugger up anything in the process anyway). Zanzibar will potentially be included (possibly on Madagascar). Previously I think I rejected it and Mombasa on the basis that it would block Ethiopia, it still might but after a few playthroughs I'm beginning to rethink it.

Europe:

Europe is always a pain. Portugal will take Spain's place though, that's pretty easy. Germany will probably be swapped out for Poland. I was uncertain about this until recently but I think it's a good move. Poland though will almost certainly have to start where Germany is right now, this is to ensure that Riga will fit north of those swamps between Germany and Russia and so that they definitely have access to the water. Sofia and Bratislava are almost certainly both out.

Middle-East:

I'm not sure about how this will work. Assyria is definitely in, but whether to drop Byzantium, Persia or Arabia (or both Persia and Arabia) for it I'm not so certain. Arabia typically does pretty poorly, Persia sometimes does alright provided it can win the rush to the flood plains, Byzantium usually does reasonably well no matter what happens but rarely successfully holds onto a second city for very long. I'm wondering if it might be too crowded. Dropping all three for Assyria could work too... I really am not sure here. I think it's safe to say that Ur is out though.

Asia:

I'm toying with the possibility of nerfing Siberia except for late-game stuff and removing Mongolia. They rarely achieve anything and that Civ spot might come in handy elsewhere. They'll stay though unless that Civ spot is needed. I want to try and leave the CS-heavy SE Asia as it is, as I think that works pretty well and looks kinda neat.

Then there'll be the usual tweaks and resource re-allocations that happen whenever I start looking at a map.

A) What about an ancient, classic and medieval era Civs and City Set ?

Europa (6) : Celts, Rome, Greece, Huns (placed as Scyths), Denmark and Russia

Asia (6) : India, China, Siam, Mongolia, Korea and Japan

Middle-East (4) : Assyria, Babylon, Arabia and Persia

Africa (5) : Carthage, Egypt, Songhaï, Ethiopia and Zululand

America (1) : Mayans

Total : 22 civs !

B) What about allowing 7 religions instead of 5 on your Standard Map ?

That listing looks pretty good though Babylon, Denmark and Korea are all out, purely on the basis that they're entirely separate DLC (I'm only running with the Inca because of the problems that arise from not doing so as is). I'd probably toss in the Aztecs and the Iroquois to the Americas, just so the Mayans don't run away entirely. Depending on the other Civs to be revealed that should be doable, very doable. That and a map where the focus is on Old World Civs, which is something I forgot in this most recent update. A Classic and Medieval era Civ/CS listing map I probably won't do, that's something better left to scenarios I reckon.

You've brought up the 7 religions before I think and I'm sorry to say that I had entirely forgotten about it. For much the same reason that I'm not touching scenarios and no longer including a diplomacy mod or Infoaddict or anything similar I really don't see this being included. The problem isn't so much the idea (I think it makes quite a bit of sense) but rather that I don't want to set up to do something and then have to back down on it because I lack the technical expertise, the time, or whatever to actually do it. I've also a concern that this is just meant to be a map pack, no dependencies, very little chance of technical error etc, adding a modification to the core game would change that.

If I get around to figuring out scenarios then I would play around with expanding the number of religions, capping range to two tiles (Longbowmen shooting from behind London into France is a bit wonky) and other fancy things of that nature. Right now though, that's just not on the cards. To be honest, I'm more likely to do a Small version of the map before anything like that.

Thanks for answering me : i must admit that i just agree...

Your map is nice, i just colonized new egyptian spot with Carthage...
More production tiles for Egypt perhaps ?

Cool. Remember that I'm always looking for screenshots from any game played on this map to be displayed on Steam, preferably mid or late game.

Hmm... it might be worthwhile moving the hill tiles NW of Egypt's old starting position SW of it's new one. That'll give it 6 desert hill tiles, give or take, and more than enough food with the flood plains to work them. Do you reckon it'll need more?

1) I do not finished your map at 2050, my computer could hardly handling it...

The ideal size is Small at the moment... With serious slowing at the end...

2) I read that you think to make a Small version of your map, very good idea...

What would be the changes between Small and Standard size in term of possibilities of your new map ? Could be handled by more computers...

Top Bottom