Star Trek mod - The Next Generation!

Flamand

The Visible Elder!
Finally it’s ready after 4 months, but I must say it has become quite nice. This mod was originally started in another thread by Glorfinder/Kenta'arka, but over the past 9 months nothing happened anymore as the various people working on it had more important things to do.
Given the quality of the work that was already done, I found it sad that it never came to a full completion. It’s still not finished, but now it’s at least one step closer… :)

Playable races:
* United Federation of Planets
* Klingon Empire
* Romulan Empire
* Borg Collective
* Cardassian Union
* The Dominion
* The Q Continuum (NEW!)

Minor races (unplayable):
Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, Bolians, Suleban, Orions, Rigellians, Saurians, Kzinti, First Federation, Breen, Denobulans, Tzenkethi, Ferengi, Bajorans, Tholians, Gorn, Thalosians, Species 8472, Xindi, Betazoid, Trill, Bynars and the Son’a.

Map:
The design of the map is based on the Star Trek atlas by Geoffrey Mandel, so the location of the different species should be more or less correct, except for the Xindi and the Delphic Expanse for which no maps where available. I know that most Trek fans would put the Expanse west of the Federation, but I decided to place it between the Romulans and the Klingon to get a reasonable spread of the different civs over the map.
I included three different maps with this mod: the old map from the previous mod version (0.7), my own XXL version and the XXL version with subspace corridors (basically a network of coast tiles connecting the systems, preventing the AI from drifting off too much in interstellar space. I took this idea from Smoking Mirror’s Space Armada mod and it seems to work pretty well in the game).

Luxuries:
Luxuries are usually located with the species that produce it and there are usually only 3 of each. In this game there is: Latinum (Ferengi), Romulan ale, Exotic fruits, Tholian silk, Karemma Fleece (Dominion), Rigellian chocolate, Orions spices, Saurian brandy, Klingon Bloodwine and Ketracel white (Dominion and Son’a). With so many alcoholic and drug luxuries, I wonder if there should be a legal minimum age for playing this mod… :D

Graphics:
I included my new Star Trek interface with this mod, as well as many new bonus resources spread all over the map for added Trek ‘flavour’.

Units:
I’m afraid I have no unit creating abilities, so I will have to disappoint those of you who were waiting for some cool, new spaceships. I found a number of units that kind of matched the things I needed and replaced them? So now there are new Borg (T-800 by Morpheus), Gorn (Skink by Kinboat), Q (no going to tell you, it’s a surprise… :D) and some others…
I also included Adlers shuttle as an aerial reconnaissance unit which are either based on a starship or a colony.

Remarks:
The map is optimized for playing as the Federation, but the game should be ok as well for the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians. The Borg and the Dominion are less advisable since they are locked in their quadrants for about half of the game until the discovery of Space Navigation. This is done so first contact with these races is not established too early in the game, so they’ll be strong once you meet them. Playing as the Borg you will also have your hands full on Species 8472 with who you’re immediately at war.
If you are not looking for a challenge, but rather the opposite, then you can play the Q and mess up the entire galaxy in a snap of your fingers. They are so powerful that nothing but Omega weaponry can touch them…

Please note that this is a work in progress. I have taken it as far as I could with what I could find in these pages and all the great things the people that started this mod had already made.
However still quite a few units are missing, as well as leaderheads. Anyone that could help me with those would be more than welcome. I know Flamescreen recently started another Trek mod for which he plans to make lots of new graphics, so there is still hope for this mod ever being finished… :)

Download:
You can find the graphics here (48.2Mb) and the maps in attachment.

Version 0.8.0 (removed after 34 downloads)
Version 0.8.1 (removed after 64 downloads;fixed bug of units leaving space lanes)
Version 0.8.2 (removed after 36 downloads;add warp speeds, minor bug fixes, update civilopedia and pediaicons)
Version 0.8.3 (removerd after 2855 downloads; fixes 'trade over sea' bug in the small maps)
Version 0.8.4 (fixes Borg not being able to cross space tiles)

Aug.2: Added updated civilopedia and pediaicons, just replace the old ones with these. Descriptions of the techs are not available yet, only of the units and buildings.

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    83.2 KB · Views: 4,634
  • Civilopedia.txt
    163.3 KB · Views: 4,743
  • Star Trek 0.8.4.zip
    149.8 KB · Views: 3,613
  • Star Trek Medium maps.zip
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,753

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16,584
  • tech-1.jpg
    tech-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9,532
Reserved for future use.

I've been watching you since you created that interface. I didn't say anything because I thought it was too good be true that someone would finish this mod :) . Now that you finished I can say this: well done :goodjob: !!
I will enjoy playing this mod! Thank you!

One question: is this an independent mod or I should overwrite the other star treck mod I have?

Scytale said:
One question: is this an independent mod or I should overwrite the other star treck mod I have?

I will respond to this question if no one has a problem with that....

I would have to say that it is a continuation of the Glorfinder/Kenta'arka project. Simply by default of the name it is a continuation. Version 0.8 follows 0.7. Also a large majority of that mod is incorporated into this one. While at the same time it could be said to be a whole new independent mod, simply because of the large difference between the two. However, I truly believe that this mod would not be where it is without the Glorfinder/Kenta'arka mod. So to boil it down it is a continuation. You should be able to install this mod overtop of the last Kenta'arka mod version 0.7 and both versions work just.

The big difference between the two is that in this one the races and units and all features for gameplay (unless something comes up) have appeared to be put in place (aside from actual graphics). Whereas the previous versions were always needing something else to actually make the game playable or really enjoyable. Not that they weren't good, just not finished enough...

With that said, any of the graphics/units that I did for the Glorfinder/Kenta'arka mod may freely be used in this one. I know they already are, but I wanted to go ahead and give my "verbal" permission....

Scytale said:
@flamand
More bad news: even if I repaired the archive the text files are completly missing! So the game is full of errors...did you test it?

Scytale is correct. The full mod is not in this thread for download.

@Scytale
Did you download the graphics from yousendit.com? If so, it did not include the text files? I got a full rar copy from Flamand prior to his starting this thread. The game plays ok. Tried the Q but didn't understand the use of the units.... Still trying to figure that out.

@Flamand
If you are calling this a replacement to all the previous versions, ask Kenta'arka if the earlier ones could be deleted. If so, ask Kenta'arka to have Thunderfall to delete the older mods. That would free up space for you to ask Thunderfall to upload this one as a whole. I think Thunderfall would be more willing to host space for this mod if the older versions were removed...
Not something you have to do, but a suggestion....

I had an idea but since I had very few time and twice my PC new installed I was not able to produce new units nor to follow this idea: In DS9 fighters were used. What about introducing these small vessels into the game?

Adler

EuropeanFury said:
First Post!!!
Seems quite nice....
but wrong forum??
Thanks! Actually I think it's the right forum since the previous version were posted here and it is still not finished. As soon as it reaches version 1.0 with everything in place you would be right...
Scytale said:
I've been watching you since you created that interface. I didn't say anything because I thought it was too good be true that someone would finish this mod . Now that you finished I can say this: well done !!
I will enjoy playing this mod! Thank you!
And again thanks... :) It can work in both ways, either overwrite the old version or install it independently next to it. In the second case you have to rename the folder name and the folder name in the .BIQ file.
Scytale said:
Bad news. The archive is corupt
Tzar Sasha said:
Scytale said:
More bad news: even if I repaired the archive the text files are completly missing!
Scytale is correct. The full mod is not in this thread for download.
The strange thing is that I downloaded it from yousendit just now from a different computer and the archive seems to be complete and can be opened by both winrar and winzip. The txt files are included in what I downloaded, but I'll put it in attachment to be sure. I don't know how that could happen what you described. Perhaps it's something with your own computer or should you try to download it again...
Scytale said:
did you test it?
of course! :p

Attachments

• Text.zip
    255 KB · Views: 942
Tzar Sasha said:
If you are calling this a replacement to all the previous versions, ask Kenta'arka if the earlier ones could be deleted. If so, ask Kenta'arka to have Thunderfall to delete the older mods. That would free up space for you to ask Thunderfall to upload this one as a whole. I think Thunderfall would be more willing to host space for this mod if the older versions were removed...
Not something you have to do, but a suggestion....
Perhaps I should make myself clear: this is a continuation, not a replacement. And I apologize if I implied that. I don't want to pretend to be the author of this great mod, that's Glorfinder and Kenta'arka together with yourself and quite a few other great people. Unfortunately I haven't seen any posts by both Glorfinder and Kenta'arka for a long time, so I supposed they were busy with other business. But when he saw the first screenshots of this version Kenta'arka seemed quite pleased about it in his reaction . I assumed then that he agreed with my version of the mod.
But I will PM both Kenta'arka and Glorfinder to tell them about this version, as I probably should have done earlier...

Tzar Sasha said:
Tried the Q but didn't understand the use of the units.... Still trying to figure that out.
Basically you are supposed to mess around with the different civ, start wars between them and take over their colonies in no time. It's a quick conquest without a challenge... In the last version I gave them teleport ability to go back to the Continuum again. But I guess the Q have too many abilities to be played well by the AI...

Adler17 said:
I had an idea but since I had very few time and twice my PC new installed I was not able to produce new units nor to follow this idea: In DS9 fighters were used. What about introducing these small vessels into the game?
That would be great... :D

Flamand said:
Basically you are supposed to mess around with the different civ, start wars between them and take over their colonies in no time. It's a quick conquest without a challenge... In the last version I gave them teleport ability to go back to the Continuum again. But I guess the Q have too many abilities to be played well by the AI...

That would be great... :D

It's a thing I'm wondering about Q and that is, how is it going to be fun playing them. And how can it be implemented in the game. They can do anything they want to in the entire world. They can pick anyone from other civilizations to join their ranks. it's not playable and it will just get boring and anoying for the other players. Their is no chance in hell they can lose.

Why not go with Ferengis instead. Trade is a big part of CIV and Ferengis will be the masters of it. Could be a fun game.

aaglo said:
I have to say, that this looks really cool :thumbsup:
Thanks, but it could use some new land units... Care to help me out? :D

I will follow it this thread :)

@Flamand

You were right! The archive is not corupt :blush: . I downloaded it again this morning and it had both text & art (not to mention the sounds :) ). I played for about half an hour and it feels great :goodjob: .
About the city interface: I can't find the "hurry production" button :( ...otherwise it's great.

@ DrZoidberg: I was already planning to use the Ferengi, Bajorans and perhaps the Vulcans as playable civs in the future, but there are no units... :(

@ Scytale: the 'hurry production' and 'draft' buttons are not there anymore, but you can find them as well by clicking on the city in the world map. I never use those button in the city, only on the map, so dropped them when I couln't find a good way of integrating them

downloading now, thanks to everyone who has worked on this mod. i will miss the hurry button especially but that's your perogative and i'm just thankful for more star trek civ stuff :)

Top Bottom