Star Wars: Empire at War + Forces of Corruption

sendos

Immortal
After searching this forum for a relevant topic about this game, I decided to make this one.

Any EAW players around?

I have the Star Wars Best of PC Collection. which contains Empire at War but not the expansion, and four other games. I only played Empire of War once, just to see how well it ran on my computer.

The collection contained Knights of the Old Republic and at the time it was cheaper to buy that instead of the game by itself. The other three games are Battlefront, Jedi Knight II and Republic Commando.

Empire at War is one of the greatest underrated games of all time. The only problem with it is that the campaign takes a day's worth of gaming to finish.

My only problems with EAW are:
- the rebel campaign on hard level really is hard after you rescue the scientists being shipped to Kessel as prisoners. I still haven't been able to do it yet. You get completely overwhelmed after that Kessel mission.
- In galactic conquest, playing as the rebels, even when you play on hard it still is too easy. The empire basically sends everything at you in the first few "days" and then suddenly they barely launch any offensives after that. You have to knock up the starting level to around level 4 in order to make things more challenging. Also, as soon as the empire can produce those gravity well ships (forgot actual name, starts with "I"), they basically mass-produce them which is rather annoying in terms of that it makes the game too easy for me.
- Vice versa: Empire campaign is too easy, even on hard. You get a reasonable head start as the Imperials. However, in galactic conquest, playing as the empire can be pretty hard when you start on the first level.

Perhaps all those problems I've had makes this game underrated. Other than that, there's a lot of action and fun. I guess we could also mention other star wars games here.

I bought a heap of star wars games last year in some steam pack worth about $50. It consisted of about 15 games (a few of them were non-star wars games like Lucidity), but most of them were crap (i.e. they were DOS games)! However, I managed to get KOTOR 1, Republic Commando and a stars wars game in the form of an MMORPG, sort of like warcraft instead that you don't have to pay monthly for it. I managed to clock Republic Commando and it was indeed very challenging and worth playing. That MMORPG star wars game got a bit boring for me over time though. Leveling up took awhile too.

Interdictor's the ship you're thinking of, that generates the gravity wells. I picked up EAW after enjoying the demo, never really got into playing it much more than that though heh.

And have you got the name of the MMORPG that you got in the pack? I'm assuming it's galaxies, as that's the only one I'm aware of, but last time I played that it had a monthly fee. If it's f2p now I might check it out again and see how much it's changed.

I think Galaxies is FTP now. Still a piece of crap, ever since the combat update.

Also, leave it to "Thrawn" to remember Interdictors. :lmao:

It was a comment on how Grand Admiral Thrawn employed gravity well projection technology (all the friggin time), not on your fandom. ;)

Interdictor's the ship you're thinking of, that generates the gravity wells. I picked up EAW after enjoying the demo, never really got into playing it much more than that though heh.

That's it. I had doubt whether the word was interdictor or not. :crazyeye:

And have you got the name of the MMORPG that you got in the pack? I'm assuming it's galaxies, as that's the only one I'm aware of, but last time I played that it had a monthly fee. If it's f2p now I might check it out again and see how much it's changed.

Yeah, Galaxies. I think it was F2P because I don't remember receiving any bills concerning it. Combat was a little weird. For example, if you shot an animal with a laser gun and ran away, you'd still suffer damage from the animal. It even happens when you try to drive away in a car. But I guess the 10-second incapitation is fair enough. I got bored after doing about 15 missions on Tatooine. If I remember well, there was always a page when I was loading the game about a planet/place consisting of some sort of zombie virus. It showed an image of Han Solo and Chewbacca surrounded by zombified stormtroopers and officers, even a zombified wookiee. :lol:

And yes, the grand admiral Thrawn in Forces of Corruption. :) Does he appear in any other star wars games? Another thing, what is he exactly? He has light blue skin when I look at Thrawn's icon.

It was a comment on how Grand Admiral Thrawn employed gravity well projection technology (all the friggin time), not on your fandom. ;)

Ah well it's been a while since I read any SW books. :p

And yes, the grand admiral Thrawn in Forces of Corruption. :) Does he appear in any other star wars games? Another thing, what is he exactly? He has light blue skin when I look at Thrawn's icon.

I only remember reading about him in some books, no idea what else he's been in. As for race, he's a Chiss, which hasn't really appeared much anywhere either afaik.

He appears in TIE Fighter and he might have had a cameo in X-Wing Rebellion. Not sure. And yeah, he's a Chiss: blue skin, red eyes, Human offshoot from the Unknown Regions. The fandom is kind of obsessed with them because they're close to Humans enough to be potentially attractive while different enough to have that exotic flair. Chiss will be playable, for instance, in the upcoming BioWare MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (only confirmed for Sith, though).

I actually happen to have played the demo for Jedi Knight II, and got close to
finishing the tutorial levels *the first ones actually* on the original.

He appears in TIE Fighter and he might have had a cameo in X-Wing Rebellion. Not sure. And yeah, he's a Chiss: blue skin, red eyes, Human offshoot from the Unknown Regions. The fandom is kind of obsessed with them because they're close to Humans enough to be potentially attractive while different enough to have that exotic flair. Chiss will be playable, for instance, in the upcoming BioWare MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (only confirmed for Sith, though).

Chiss, eh? Never heard of that race, so I guess I'm not that into star wars than I previously thought. :p
I have read some Star Wars books, but it has been a long while since I've read my last one. One of them was actually about some alien race that invades the galaxy after the fall of the empire. I think it was by Greg Bear.

Concerning Forces of Corruption in galactic conquest, the Consortium is even easier than the Alliance in galactic conquest. Just corrupt and take the planet over. Now that this faction is present, it is now really hard to play galactic conquest as the rebels. The Consortium keeps corrupting all my planets, they mass-produce those Kadalbe-class Battleships which are literally unstoppable. And the Ion cannon is nerfed, too! :cry:

Corrupt Militia is the most overpowered thing in the game. You have a choice when it comes to that corruption ability:
a) Attack planet and gain assistance of the militia. Most effective on planets like Geonosis. This does not work at all or effectively in planets that have few or no militia, like Bonadan.
b) Wait for the enemy to remove corruption and voila, the planet is neutral.

So the expansion has brought a lot of good and bad things to the game. Fighting the consortium is a real challenge alright.

yeah I played that also with expansion. But rts I dont like so much like Command and Conquer

But best moment was as I built the Death Star as Empire and detroxed the Rebells

but Star Wars is cult to lovv

but Battlefronts you liked that too? or Force unleashed? I not soo
but very liked Lego Star Wars with all episodes, that was very funny

yeah I played that also with expansion. But rts I dont like so much like Command and Conquer

But best moment was as I built the Death Star as Empire and detroxed the Rebells

but Star Wars is cult to lovv

but Battlefronts you liked that too? or Force unleashed? I not soo
but very liked Lego Star Wars with all episodes, that was very funny

Force Unleashed is awesome. That game on PS3 is indeed a lot of fun. Storyline near the end, on the other hand, was rather odd.

The Consortium is completely broken in FoC. It makes the game virtually unplayable. I prefer mods that have removed them.

I would have liked an EaW game with several factions: not just the Rebels and Imperials, but also Ssi-Ruuk, Hutts, Chiss, Yevetha, and a host of independent worlds and other minor factions. Also, the ability to conduct at least rudimentary diplomacy with them. My final complaint is that you essentially need large ships to conduct any sort of operations against even the smallest of space garrisons. In the TIE Fighter and X-Wing games, you were usually operating out of a corvette or frigate, and the biggest ship in the sector was probably a single Victory or MonCal of sorts. In EaW, going up against even a LV2 space station requires hordes of assault ships. I would have liked to have seen more depth in this part of space combat and strategy.

All that said, EaW is a very fun game, and probably one of the best Star Wars games to date.

The Consortium is completely broken in FoC. It makes the game virtually unplayable. I prefer mods that have removed them.

All that said, EaW is a very fun game, and probably one of the best Star Wars games to date.

Agreed.

I'm only just getting the upper hand against the Consortium as the rebels in galactic conquest. They only have about 5 planets under their control. And then I've got the Imperials to defeat, which will be much easier. :)

Top Bottom