Star Wars Mod

Who should be leader of the Jedi civ?

• Yoda

Votes: 89 83.2%
  • Obi-Wan

Votes: 18 16.8%

• Total voters
Hey Louis, i actually got all of my Jawa names from the decipher site :D Ive found it to be very useful for leader names. As for the Royal guard, you should try not to make it to cartoony, if you want super-realistic would be great, though i dont want you to have to spend to much time on it. Find a level of detail that you can balance time with. Looking forward to your work, thanks for your help :D

I'm not a star wars fanatic, but this mod looks pretty interesting. I bought star wars rugue squadron 3D for the computer a few years ago and I dug out the manual which has some unit info from the game. Some of this stuff may be useful, but as I said it's all out of a videogame so it may not be 'authentic' to the Star Wars universe. Here goes:

Units from the game
X-Wing
A-Wing
Y-Wing
Incom T-47 Airspeeder (the little craft w/ the towcable)
V-Wing
ATAT (All Terrain Armored Transport)
ATST (All Terrain Scout Transport)
ATPT (All Terrain Personal Transport)
Imperial Probe Droid
TIE Fighter
TIE Bomber
TIE Interceptor
Waveskimmer (looks like a hydrofoil ATAT)
Cloud Cars
Landspeeder
Lambda Class shuttle

Places from the game
Mos Eisley- City on the desert planet Tatooine in the outer rim.
Barkhesh- Hot, humid, mountanous, tropical world.
Chorax- Disease ridden swamp world in the Rachuk Sector
Corellia- Empire occupied metropolis planet
Gerrard V- Rocky deserts and salty seas, result of orbital bombardment
Loronar- Empire controlled industrial planet
Balmora- Empire controlled industrial planet in the Nevoota system, outer edge of the galactic core
Kile II- A really dark, lunar planet with a big empire communications station on it
Kessel- Salt flats with inhospitable atmosphere and lots of imperial mining. 'Glitterstim Spice' is found here
Taloraan- A gas giant in the Kelavine system with Tibanna Gas, used in the production of weapons
Fest- Atrivis system, Outer Rim, near Mantooine. Snowy mountains with an empire testing ground for new alloys mined from Fest.
Sullust- Volcanic world. Native Sullustans live in subterranean caverns and cities. Sullustans make prized navigators.
Thyferra- Tropical rain forests, home of the Vratix insects, who create Bacta
Calamari- Oceanic planet. Home to the Mon Calamari 9live on islands and floating cities) and the reclusive Quarren

Thats it from the manual, maybe some of it might be useful, maybe not.

URGENT NOTICE:

I am preparing the website for launch in the next week or so. I need the information below. Please email information to visim14@hotmail.com

1) MEMBERS PAGE:
Anyone affiliated in anyway with the Star Wars mod PLEASE email me your CIVILIZATION FANATICS screen name and your real name as well as your most used email address. Also provide what you are doing with the mod as well. If there are any credits as well TPA let me know.

2) UNITS / GRAPHICS / SCREENSHOTS:
If you have created anything for this mod or have progress to show please send either:
a) animated gif of your unit
b) link to where your finished work can be found
c) screenshot of your work in progress or your unit in action
d) if you have something created and need it hosted let me know and we will dump it on the server when we get it.

3) WORK IN PROGRESS:
If you have work in progress please provide a sample image of current stage of work and a short blurb about where you are in the progress. Once the website is up this will be updated regularly.

4) TPASMALL:
Can you write up a short introduction on the star wars mod for the main page and also write a longer full one for the "Mod Info" page. Something that points out what we are doing, why, how, etc. You know the W's. :)

I think that is it for now. I got links covered. If yall know any other good links let me know. When I get this info I will be much further ahead.

Once it is up then we can work out the updating thing.

THANK YOU!!

So I was just having a discussion with Jesse Coombe regarding the Warhammer 40k mod we are planning and we got to talking about terrain, and how it should be handled. I thought it might be relevant to your discussion here.

the basic idea is this that stars equal "city" sites. these are the only terrain that you can build cities on. your cities then represent not actual cities but star systems controlled by your faction. There would be different types of "stars" to represent the various types out there, i.e. yellow, red, blue, white, giant, huge, large, small, dwarf, and to allow for various values, obviously large yellow stars would be the best place to build. The coast area would be rocky planets that surround your star and make up the interior of the star system. (some areas of coast should be made to look like space so that the star is not surrounded by a ring of planets) the sea would be gaseous planets and would make up the outer parts of the star systems (the same goes for sea, some areas of sea should be made to look like space so that the star is not surrounded by a ring of planets).

Resources in the coast and sea could be asteroid belts made of different minerals or space worms for food, or something like that.

This would work really well for user created maps, but less well for randomly generated maps. it would work best to use the small land mass option with a high water to land ratio.

As it stands now, though the space graphics are the best I have seen for any civ mod, the "planets" look a bit odd as continents.

There was a civ2 mod, based on MOO2 that had something along the lines of what I am talking about. I think you can find it on apolyton, not sure if they have it here as well.

If anybody has the Star Wars Rebellion game, that has a great map of the star wars galaxy. it also has some leaderhead images if I recall correctly.

by the way, the site looks great. :goodjob:

Yeah, i know which mod you are talking about and i thought it was pretty good back when CivII worked on my computer *grumbles*.... Anyway, I think have sea as space and land still being the same would work the best for this mod because it will work with randomly generated maps, but better for user created maps. Also, it fits alot better into the tech tree this way, and leaves more room for epic space battles ;)

what I was saying is that

ocean would remain "space"
sea would look like gas giants but retain the characteristics of sea
coast would look like rocky planets but retain its coast qualities.
tundra could look like white dwarfs
desert like binary systems
hills could look like orange stars
mountains could be brown stars
grassland could be yellow stars
plains could be blue clovers, or purple horseshoes, er, I mean ... red stars or whatever,something along those lines

Ohh, i understand now. The only problem with that is there wouldnt be land units any more and ive already got people upset that water got taken out :lol:

That would be pretty sweet for an all space battle. Its too bad couldnt add an option in the main menu for space so you could do space battles instead of other ones, but yes land units wouldnt be there and this would prolly make some of the civs not balanced. How can you compete with superstar destroyers? :)

well, actually the way the random map generator works there would still be a use for land units. but even on a designed map you will need ground units to take over planets and hold them once you have them.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the stars bigger than one tile and still get them to be round. I have no idea how the terrain graphics work, but this would be a way of increasing the need for ground units, while at the same time maintaining the basic structure that I mentioned above.

the civs should not be perfectly balanced. the two main civs, the rebellion and the empire obviously should be pretty evenly matched, but other civs like the gungan, or the bounty hunters should really just be periferal civs, possibly even handicapped much as some of the civs have been handicapped in Paul Saunders' Realistic Starting Nations Scenario.

that sounds like a pretty good idea, i was going to have asteroids as a resource though...

We are going strong, with 10 units finished and plenty on the way this mod is coming together. Check us out at www.strategyplanet.com/civilization/starwars We have our own message board there :D And plenty of other things ;)

what about the city graphics?
are the citys going to look like they do now, or will they be redone to be look more like starwars?

Top Bottom