Star Wars

Dumanios

MLG
Something I've been starting to work on in my downtime when I'm not updating my old civs or playing other games. I decided to reinstall Empire at War on my desktop because I had such fun with it when I was younger. It was a blast. I followed that with Forces of Corruption as well. I also rewatched some of the movies and the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon. At some point I decided to make a Star Wars mod, because the other ones that existed were either dead, not very complete, or for [civ4].

Currently, it's in a very early state. I'm only going to start with two factions: The Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance. I do plan to add more factions later on, but I wanted to start small. It is worth noting that while I only have the Empire and Rebellion, they do include their successor factions (the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic) to a certain extent.

Current version

Some pictures
Spoiler :
A peek at some of the Empire's stuff.

A small band of rebels, led by a runaway Jedi, prepare to ambush an Imperial force.

Rebel starships prepare to do battle with an Imperial fleet.

Stuff I want to do:
Spoiler :
1: Changes to terrain (to cover planets that aren't covered by the default terrain such as Mustafar or Coruscant)
2: Make an actual Galactic map scenario so that I don't have to deal with random map weirdness.
2.5: Lib.Spi't pointed to Colonization 2071, which adds a Planets mapscript. I'll have to see about adding it at some point.
3: Make a reskin for Wedge's Lusankya
4: Add specific unit sounds like in Empire at War. (Partially done!)
5: Possibly change the land unit section of the techtree. I'm currently not satisfied with it, but I have no idea how I'd go about changing it. Suggestions?
6: Add Experience-based Upgrading (would be especially useful for Jedi units, though could also be used for normal troops upgrading to commandos as well as TIE Interceptors into TIE Defenders). Some of the base code is currently in, but not compiled.
7: Add more factions (THIS will only happen once the mod is "complete" with the two current factions).

I don't have much else to say at the moment. Feel free to post questions, comments, etc below.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it make more sense to base such a mod completely on Final Frontier (Plus)? I know there's a Babylon 5 and a Star Trek mod who did that. A pity that a Star Wars mod never could achieve the same success, but I suspect this is because unlike those two franchises the GFFA is not about several competing civilizations but rather one single civilization and its domestic issues, which obviously makes it difficult to represent in a, well, Civilization game. While the Clone War could work as a scenario the later civil war is more problematic as the Rebellion is an underground resistance utilizing guerrilla warfare, not a state with clear delineated borders. I still wish you the best of luck that the force may be with you.

Wouldn't it make more sense to base such a mod completely on Final Frontier (Plus)? I know there's a Babylon 5 and a Star Trek mod who did that. A pity that a Star Wars mod never could achieve the same success, but I suspect this is because unlike those two franchises the GFFA is not about several competing civilizations but rather one single civilization and its domestic issues, which obviously makes it difficult to represent in a, well, Civilization game. While the Clone War could work as a scenario the later civil war is more problematic as the Rebellion is an underground resistance utilizing guerrilla warfare, not a state with clear delineated borders. I still wish you the best of luck that the force may be with you.

It would make sense to base the mod off of Final Frontier as well. The reason I didn't is because I wanted to include ground battles in some form also. Even though I used normal BtS as a basis, a bunch of units are using Final Frontier graphics (though as placeholders for most of them) and the tech-tree is to a certain extent based off of Final Frontier.

I could imagine a crossover mod:
Star Wars vs Stargate vs Halo vs Battlestar Galactica vs Starcraft vs...
:mischief:

Spoiler :

I could imagine a crossover mod:
Star Wars vs Stargate vs Halo vs Battlestar Galactica vs Starcraft vs...
:mischief:

Somebody give this person a medal, that's brilliant!

I can see it now: A Final Frontier Plus Modmod where the various factions have been replaced with the Galactic Empire or Republic, the Federation, the Goa'uld, the Minbarri etc., all with completely unique units and some unique buildings!

Well... I think basing it on Planetfall or Fall from Haven would be more interesting, because of the ground combat.

EDIT: Of course both approaches are great, just would give 2 totally different mods with different factions available. Like SW and SG factions could work in either, Startrek would make sense only in a FF mod, while Starcraft races would work in a planet based mod rather.

An view of the current tech tree from the Imperial point of view (as well as an Imperial invasion force on their way to subjugate Sumeria).

Tech Tree
Spoiler :

Imperial invasion force
Spoiler :

At the moment, I'm kinda unsatisfied with the tech tree, maybe because of the amount of empty techs (though I hope to fill those as development continues), or maybe because it's essentially Final Frontier but with some added stuff from Next War, base BtS, and the vanilla Star Wars mod.

Did some changes to the tech tree (this time from the Rebel perspective), also present is a unit roster and some starfighters.

Tech Tree
Spoiler :

Units
Spoiler :

The Unit Roster in text form
Spoiler :
Settler
Worker
Spy
Militia
Infantry
Anti-Tank
Recon Trooper
Marine
Mechanized Infantry (represents Field Commander units)
Tank (represents lighter tanks)
Modern Armor (represents heavier tanks)
Light Walker
Heavy Walker
Mobile Artillery
Mobile SAM
Anti-Air Turret
Anti-Vehicle Turret
Anti-Infantry Turret
Gunship (represents planet-based air units)
Maceman (placeholder replacement for Force units)
Guided Missile -> Anti-Ship Missile -> Advanced Anti-Ship Missile
Airship (essentially just a Starfighter slot)
Fighter
Bomber
Jet Fighter (used as a placeholder for Interceptors)
Stealth Bomber (used as a placeholder for Advanced Starfighters)
Construction Ship
Transport
Corvette
Missile Corvette
Frigate
Heavy Frigate
Battleship
Star Dreadnought

REBEL UNITS

Rebel Soldier (replaces Infantry)
PLEX Soldier (replaces Anti-Tank Infantry)
Rebel Infiltrator (replaces Recon Trooper)
Rebel Commando (replaces Marine)
Rebel Field Commander (replaces Mechanized Infantry)
Combat Speeder (replaces Tank)
AAC-1 Speeder Tank (replaces Light Walker)
T-4B Heavy Tank (replaces Modern Armor)
MPTL2-a (replaces Mobile Artillery)
T-47 Airspeeder (replaces Gunship)
Jedi Padawan (replaces Maceman)
Yoda (Rebel-exclusive Hero)

Z-95 Headhunter -> X-Wing (replaces Airship and Fighter respectively)
Y-Wing (replaces Bomber)
A-Wing (replaces Jet Fighter)
B-Wing (replaces Stealth Bomber)
GR-75 Transport (replaces Transport)
Corellian Corvette (replaces Corvette)
Corellian Gunship (second Corvette class ship for the Rebellion)
Marauder Cruiser (replaces Missile Corvette)
Nebulon-B Frigate (Replaces Frigate)
Alliance Assault Frigate (replaces Heavy Frigate)
Mon Calamari Cruiser (replaces Battleship)
Lucrehulk-class Battleship (second Capital Ship for the Rebellion)

The Rebels don't have access to a Mobile SAM, Heavy Walker, or Star Dreadnought

IMPERIAL UNITS

Stormtrooper (replaces Infantry)
Shock Trooper (replaces Anti-Tank Infantry)
Scout Trooper (replaces Recon Trooper)
Dark Trooper (replaces Marine)
Imperial Officer (replaces Mechanized Infantry)
TIE Mauler (replaces Tank)
AT-ST (replaces Light Walker)
IFT-X (replaces Modern Armor)
AT-AT (replaces Heavy Walker)
SPMA-T (replaces Mobile Artillery)
AT-AA (replaces Mobile SAM)
Lancet Aerial Artillery (replaces Gunship)
Boba Fett (Imperial-exclusive Hero)
Darth Vader (Imperial-exclusive Hero)
Darth Sidious (Imperial-exclusive Hero)

TIE Fighter (replaces Fighter)
TIE Bomber (replaces Bomber)
TIE Interceptor (replaces Jet Fighter)
TIE Scout (replaces Airship)
TIE Avenger (replaces Stealth Bomber)
TIE Defender (additional advanced Starfighter for the Empire)
Sentinal-class Landing Shuttle (replaces Transport)
Tartan Patrol Cruiser (replaces Corvette)
Broadside Cruiser (replaces Missile Corvette)
Acclamator-class Star Cruiser (replaces Frigate)
Venator-class Star Destroyer (replaces Heavy Frigate)
Imperial Star Destroyer (replaces Battleship)
Executor-class Super Star Destroyer (replaces Star Dreadnought)

I'm still slightly unsatisfied with the land vehicle area of the tech tree, but I'm not sure what to do there.

Spoiler :

A bunch of the buildings and almost all the wonders have been taken out. I kept a decent amount of the buildings in Civ4 and almost all the National Wonders (I might replace a few more graphics with Final Frontier graphics). The Jedi Temple small wonder and the Rebel SpecForce Training Facility are exclusive to the Rebellion, while the Sith Training Ground and Imperial Advanced Factory are exclusive to the Empire.

One thing I'm probably going to do is have units require certain buildings to be present, like in Empire at War and Final Frontier. A few units won't require buildings, them being Militia, Turrets, and Transports. Several buildings will also require other buildings, as well.

The list of units and buildings that require other stuff.
Spoiler :
BARRACKS: Infantry, Anti-Tank Infantry, Marine, Recon Trooper, Rebel Soldier, PLEX Soldier, Stormtrooper, Shock Trooper, Scout Trooper
OFFICER ACADEMY: Mechanized Infantry, Rebel Field Commander, Imperial Officer
REBEL SPECFORCE: Rebel Infiltrator, Rebel Commando
FACTORY: Tank, Light Walker, Combat Speeder, T-47 Airspeeder, TIE Mauler, AT-ST
HEAVY FACTORY: Modern Armor, Heavy Walker, T-4B Heavy Tank, AAC-1 Speeder Tank, MPTL-2a, IFT-X, AT-AA, SPMA-T
ADVANCED FACTORY: AT-AT, Lancet Aerial Artillery
LABORATORY: Dark Trooper
JEDI TEMPLE: Jedi Temple
SITH TRAINING GROUND: Sith Apprentice
SQUADRON FACTORY: Fighter, Bomber, Z-95 Headhunter, X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Scout, TIE Fighter, TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, TIE Avenger, TIE Defender
CAPITAL SHIPYARD: Battleship, Mon Calamari Cruiser, Lucrehulk, Imperial Star Destroyer, Executor-class Super Star Destroyer
SHIPYARD: Corvette, Corellian Corvette, Tartan Patrol Ship, Corellian Gunship, Missile Corvette, Marauder Cruiser, Broadside Cruiser, Frigate, Nebulon-B Frigate, Acclamator-class Star Cruiser, Heavy Frigate, Alliance Assault Frigate, Venator-class Star Destroyer

Barracks -> Officer Academy -> Rebel SpecForce
Factory -> Heavy Factory -> Advanced Factory
Shipyard -> Capital Shipyard

Just wondering: Star Wars has so many factions and species. So why don't you make a factions wars mod instead of a just 1vs1 game? Depending on the Force Affinity (Religion Light Side or Dark Side) they would forge alliances. I think that would be more enjoyable.

Just wondering: Star Wars has so many factions and species. So why don't you make a factions wars mod instead of a just 1vs1 game? Depending on the Force Affinity (Religion Light Side or Dark Side) they would forge alliances. I think that would be more enjoyable.

I do plan to add more factions eventually (the Galactic Republic and CIS are the next ones for sure), but I'd like to get the mod to a state where it's playable and balanced with a couple factions before adding more.

You might want to take a look at the assets in Col: 2071 (For Colonzation), it has space terrain and a 'planets' map generator, that might provide you with some useful stuff.

That might be helpful, especially the Planets Map Generator.

I did replace the water with the space terrain graphics from the Vanilla Civ4 Star Wars mod, though I might find something better in Col: 2071.

FIRST ALPHA RELEASED

I figure the best way to find out what is and isn't balanced is to see what ya'll think.

There's a few changes from the previous posts I mentioned, the big ones being that Jedi Padawans and Sith Apprentices are no longer in the same unit-class and the addition of the Quasar Fire-class Cruiser for the Rebellion (to give them a ship that can carry starfighters that doesn't require a Capital Shipyard.)

Any bugs, errors, or other weirdness you find, please report it. Any ideas you have, I'll take as well.

Quick update: Removed resource requirements from units, added a proper button for the Quasar, and reduced the Power Generator's cost by a lot.

Nice mod idea!!! You preceeded me, even if my idea is slightly different. I am working to create a ISAAC ASIMOV MOD based with the Foundations saga story in it.
I noticed a problem, the download link is not working

Nice mod idea!!! You preceeded me, even if my idea is slightly different. I am working to create a ISAAC ASIMOV MOD based with the Foundations saga story in it.
I noticed a problem, the download link is not working

Thanks for telling me, download should now be working.

Top Bottom