Starships - March 12 and upcoming BE patch

He often doesn't play too well. But I guess that's to be expected for someone who doesn't have too many genres that he spends too much time with but instead plays a bit of everything.

Biggest thing to take from his review is the same thing I already said about the streams:
Don't expect this to be a game that you can play 24/7. It looks a lot more like a game that you play every now and then, and as such it's probably okay.

Although I have to say that I did NOT expect them to butcher the graphic options that much. I defended the game as "not looking like a mobile port" just yesterday and then I see a graphics menu that looks just like what you'd expect from a mobile port - basically no options at all...

Anyway, hopefully we can tweak some things within the config files.

Angry Joe clearly did not have a single clue what he was doing and played atrociously bad.
It's less about his gameplay than the obvious compromises that had to be made for the mobile platform (asset quality, lackluster menu).

[edit] But to be clear: It is just 15€, so I don't expect AAA quality here. I was just a bit shocked because I expected a better port.

It's less about his gameplay than the obvious compromises that had to be made for the mobile platform (asset quality, lackluster menu).

[edit] But to be clear: It is just 15€, so I don't expect AAA quality here. I was just a bit shocked because I expected a better port.

I think this illustrates why it was a mistake for Firaxis to make the same game for both platforms. The game would have to cater to the lowest common denominator. So essentially, we got an iPad game that we just happen to be playing on a PC. I know it would have cost more time and resources, but I think it would have been worth it to make two separate games. That way the PC version could have been really tailored for the PC and could have had more menu choices, better graphics, more content etc...

Don't get me wrong, I still expect the game to be a lot of fun, especially for only $15. It is just a missed opportunity because the game could have been even better if it had been made for the PC only.

Don't get me wrong, I still expect the game to be a lot of fun, especially for only $15. It is just a missed opportunity because the game could have been even better if it had been made for the PC only.
I suppose the extra sales on the mobiel platforms will make up for that. ;)
I'll certainly check the reviews tomorrow. I am quite interested in how the press will react. What I have seen so far looks positive.

I purchased Starships and got to play for a bit. Here are my first impressions:

Gameplay is a lot of fun. The tactical combat is interesting and very enjoyable. The maps are diverse, offering lot of different tactics. Some maps will buff shields, some maps will buff asteroid cover, forcing the player to adapt. Most of the game is focused on the tactical combat but the strategic layer is very effective at letting the player spend their resources and prepare for the next mission. Customizing your ships is fun. The art is very good and gives a great sense of atmosphere.

Probably not the game for you if you want something super deep and complex. But if you want a "pop corn" game that is super fun and engaging, with lots of interesting choices, and a game that you can pick up and play easily, this is a great game. $15 is a good price and worth it.

I suppose the extra sales on the mobiel platforms will make up for that. ;)

I suspect that making the game for the iPad was designed to pull in sales from non-traditional gamers who probably don't play BE. The cross-connection could draw those new players to BE, increasing sales for BE. It will be interesting to see if there is a surge in sales of BE.

Yeah, I'm happy enough with what the game is, but the "console port" feel it has leaves a weird after taste. It's nothing game-breaking or too annoying... but it just makes it feel a bit cheap. But then, the game is, literally, quite cheap.

Either I'm doing it wrong or the highest difficulty is pure rng. Got a mission where I'm supposed to protect 3 transporters, spawned with no cover in range while the attackers were able to hide behind cover. So I'm like: Alright. Move Transporters back, move starships to the front.

Next turn a transporter gets oneshot. gg lol.
An interesting experience.

Moderator Action: Since this thread has focused on Starships rather than the BE patch, thread moved to Starships forum.

Finished my first game on Hard. Lost to Kavitha.

Starships games seem to be split into two phases. The first phase, at the start of the game, is where you complete missions to try to acquire as many planets into your federation as quickly as possible. The second phase begins, once all the planets have been assimilated into one or another empire. The second phase is all about conquering an AI empire, to grow your own empire, to hopefully reach a victory condition. Once you are in that second phase, you are basically in the end game.

Finished my first game on very hard/second largest map, 6 players.

Lost my first battle which was a green mission:)
But that was like the only battle I lost.

Had a fighter planet as my neighbour so I focused on fighters.
Late game I had 5 ships with about the same systems, fighters and torpedos was my main weapons but could only move 2 hexes each.

I nearly lost a enemy homeworld battle, I was down to one damaged ship and one fighter then I killed their last ship.
In the end I bought metal to build 7 wonders.

Starships games seem to be split into two phases. The first phase, at the start of the game, is where you complete missions to try to acquire as many planets into your federation as quickly as possible. The second phase begins, once all the planets have been assimilated into one or another empire. The second phase is all about conquering an AI empire, to grow your own empire, to hopefully reach a victory condition. Once you are in that second phase, you are basically in the end game.

I agree

Split in two phases? Phah. Only good strategy is ramming into the opponents as soon as you see them. :D Instant wars are even easy to win on Impossible difficulty... which is concerning.

Top Bottom