1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Luxuries Tier List

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by ShadedSkies, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Yes. Just because I say something is possible doesn't mean it's going to happen, or that it's a permanent change. But I'd rather experiment and enjoy the process of creation than shut down discussion for the sake of gold. Because a 'gold' mod with flaws will just require patches.

G

2. tothePAIN

tothePAIN Prince

Is it possible to teach the AI to prioritize getting their monopoly instead of delaying the monopolies? I do enjoy the option of prioritizing the monopoly and would dislike a limitation.

Maxxim69, Rhys DeAnno, Tantro and 3 others like this.
  3. zeofig

zeofig Chieftain

I like the idea of a tech unlock. It makes early game development more flexible, and makes later game more interesting.

vyyt likes this.
  4. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

I like the idea of unlocking at currency, but Dan is right with his concern about the faith aspect.

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

AI does focus on monopoly. But they'll never be as good as a human.

G

vyyt likes this.
  6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I'm worried that putting on currency or another specific tech may cause players to pursue similar tech paths each game.

I very much agree with the rest of your post, but I disagree here. It isn't that complicated. I'd compare it to the recent advanced spy actions change. Monopolies contribute to more than just problems between human and AI, I'd argue it also affects map size and social policies.

Maxxim69, vyyt, Tantro and 1 other person like this.
  7. azum4roll

azum4roll King

Many other features' balance like the entire city state system is affected by map size. There's no easy way to balance them over every map size, game speed and such.

8. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I like the idea conceptually, but I'm a bit concerned that it just wouldn't be as fun to play as it essentially makes the game slower.

Granted it will help monopolies like Sugar or Silks who get little benefit early on and could do with a buff. As others have noted though it devalues faith monopolies significantly. If there was an unlock I think ideally it would still be pretty early on - and not something that favours one tech path over others. E.g. entering the classical era. Even then not having faith earlier would be a significant hit, but it wouldn't be quite as bad the other options.

Tantro likes this.
  9. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Chieftain

I also dislike putting it on a tech for the same reason as crazyG mentioned Dont like techs being absolutely mandatory in the early game

10. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

I don't like the idea of unlocking monopolies with anything else than tile improvements. But if you definitely want that change to happen... I'd go with pineappledan's idea: unlock it as soon as you enter the Classical Era, whichever the tech you do it with.

Also, about a potential change to Tobacco... I think the Market would be a bit too soon for a resource that always seems to appear without any forest/jungle on top of it that you need to chop before building the plantation. In that regard, it works similarly to Olives and Perfume. And because of that, I want to see Tobacco in the Arena. I think it fits there reasonably, but that might be just me. Temple might suit Tobacco better, but I wouldn't like to see all the religious monopoly resources being improved by a religious building. Wine and Incense is enough.

I'd like to see Gold, Silver and Gems moved to Custom House, too. That'd leave just Tea and Coffee in the Renaissance era, and I'd vote for putting them a bit earlier, in the Garden. Finally, I'd move either Citrus or Cocoa to Market. I'm not sure, but I think Citrus can appear on forests, but not Cocoa? If that's the case, I'd go with Citrus.

11. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I would be fine with Arena or Temple for Tobacco myself.
    Nah, they can both turn up on forests. Citrus and Cocoa also have strong monopoly yields, they're actually among the better jungle resources. I think Garden suits them perfectly tbh.
    I think we're getting grocer resources moved to Customs House at the moment.

12. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

If this concept goes through (still not convinced its the best idea), this is the best way to go about it imo.

Maxxim69, JamesNinelives and CrazyG like this.
  13. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

Oh, then Silver, Gold and Gems will still be in the Bank? My bad, I don't know why I thought that was going to change.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  14. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Yeah I think classical era is the way to go, otherwise you would pursue currency early basically every game, it would be another reason to skip bronze working.