Starting Position

DaveMcW

Deity
The sun rises on the year 4000 BC. Since time immemorial, the CDZer people have lived a nomadic life. After years of wandering, they are ready to settle down and found your first city.

Ragnar, your people have vested absolute power in you, trusting that you can build a Civilization to stand the test of time!

Attachments

• cdz_start.jpg
    cdz_start.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 391
That is a very generous start. I guess tech pace will be even faster than anticipated. Unless of course it is a very small island. By the looks of it even if it is small, it should be enough to plant 3 cities almost immediately.

Settling on the start is quite an obvious move and a good one. Scout has to move to verify but it all seems to be forest there. Since we already start with fishing, can build worker as a first build while researching mining. Then, it would be nice to research BW to slave or chop two workboats and then another worker. In-between we would need a couple of warriors and may be even barracks. Test map can be generated in a couple of turns of scout movement. We don't need agriculture immediately and we don't need animal husbandry very soon. Religion will be nice but not at the cost of early development.

All the tiles for the capital seem to be very nice and only one is sea. There is also a total or 4 grasslands and 6 hills, 3 plains and 3 grass. As well as 5 forests. I'm starting to state the obviously so it might be better to shut up.

Tech pace is going to be very high if all teams have a similar start (which i get the feeling they will)

Vikings start with mining and fishing right?

Hunting and fishing iirc, we have a scout.

yeah hmmm oops missed that:blush:

but i'm sure our UB rocks, a lighthouse with +1:food: for sea tiles. Frankly i can't think of a better leader to have for our starting position

yeah hmmm oops missed that:blush:

but i'm sure our UB rocks, a lighthouse with +1:food: for sea tiles. Frankly i can't think of a better leader to have for our starting position

Lighthouses are always +1:food::confused: the only bonus i thought was the auto upgrade to navigation 1 for naval units.

Lighthouses are always +1:food::confused: the only bonus i thought was the auto upgrade to navigation 1 for naval units.

i thought +1:food: on top of the regular lighthouse but i see i read the civopeadia wrong:crazyeye:

suppose it could be an april fools but all mtdg i've played in have featured generous starting positions.

Do we know we know when we are starting?

It is not an April fool's joke. You guys are too paranoid.

Paranoid, who us never;), although you have to admit its a very generous start that might make some people think its too good to be true:)

Starting position is nice. And I agree with settling in place. Scout SE, I think.

First tech: Mining.
But should we start with a worker or with a working boat?

IMO, worker will be faster in terms of development and research. The earlier the mine is built on gold, the better we are off. We won't be able to discover Bronze working early to be able to whip the boat. And to build it rapidly enough, we would have to work 3-hammer hill. While to build worker, we can work crabs which give 3 additional gold with same input towards the build. So, city will not grow in any case. And we then can chop two boats rapidly. But some tests can be run after the first move to make sure where we settle and what to build. May be, there is a better location.

On the other hand, we are not pursuing religion (need mysticism for that), so not sure whether early research is that beneficial. Not sure whether anybody starts with mysticism. We might actually give it a try. But it is best to have religion in the second city unless we aiming to farm for a great prophet. In which case we should build Oracle and if there is no marble, it won't be easy.

Ultimate goal for the start is to have two boats and two gold mines worked as soon as possible. All the rest will be rushed by extra population over 4. On Monarch, this means we can pop-rush every 10 turns something with 2 citizens. We will thus be making 12 hammers per turn plus whatever tiles the extra citizen works prior to growth. This also means we would need granary and lighthouse quite soon.

I think we can perhaps make a fairly early call on grabbing philosophy through a GS. Otherwise there is no immediate need for a religion, setting up the economy first should be the main thing, i.e. getting the worker techs.

Barbs are on (normal activity)...

I would prefer a worker first. Get both golds mined ASAP and after the worker we would need both workboats...

Top Bottom