Starting Position

Worker might chop the boat instead of mining gold IMO. Boat will be ready on turn 17 instead of 21 as per the spreadsheet (20 from chop and10 from production). The city will then start accumulating food already at turn 13. Then, another boat can be rushed assisted by chopping another forest. There is no hurry to mine the gold and we also need a warrior and a third boat or galley.

Are we planning an immediate switch to slavery after BW? With the crabs it sort of cries out for some early whipping (even with the gold there).

Well, you can never be sure but making a test map and playtesting it extensively is always a good idea. What I posted is mostly general considerations, nothing specifically tested.

Some of you might have heard about the commotion about the Great Lighthouse being "removed" from the game.

Now everyone to this point has assumed that this is a sea based map or at the very least the sea is highly influential and the GL would have been too unbalancing.

But there is another possibility that no one has considered, what if DaveMcW has bluffed us, what if the reason the GL was removed wasn't cause it was overpowered but practically useless?

Now its all guessing at this point but what if this island is in an inland sea on a pangea map. Here is a rough sketch of what i'm thinking

If that is the case (or something pretty similar) then the GL would be a waste since it would be out of date before you'd ever get a trade connection out of it, well an international one anyway.

With this in mind i don't think we should commit too many resources to a navy we may not need, exploration is definately needed to work out exactly where we stand with this map and whats the best way to exploit it.

Yeah, as it is handmade, that might be the case. So probably we should send out some workboats soon to get a little more knowledge to decide further steps.

I would say we wait until the third to do this as there is not much we can do with the knowledge until a later point anyways but I was also having similar thoughts with regards to the map Robi and TGL is a double bluff in many ways.

This might as well mean, that none of the land surrounding us is reachable before Caravels. So another reason to build a work boat to explore before a galley (but maybe even the scout can tell that)

Hi all,

Sorry I'm very late to spot the game had started - a nice start but with a hand made map I guess everybody will have pretty much the same.
I'm a fan of getting the work boats asap.

Hey Ian,

Most of the discussion has been happening at cdz, do you have access to the forum there? The game has progressed quite a bit and we've been a bit lax at copying and pasting! :)

Would you guys mind giving me access to your forum at CDZ? I have access to all of the other forums, and constant feedback on how the map is viewed,used and abused is useful for future mapmaking exercises.

Sure, have you made a post over there requesting it? Shabba will get on it but he was away when the game actually started if you asked then

Top Bottom