Steam unlock delay?!

Abraxis

I was perusing the steam forum after having just ordered my copy and I came across this.

"i can tell you now, expect to wait 3 hours over 'zero hour'. Happens every major launch with steam. At least 3 hours."

Several others have said the same is this true? for all our efforts to start playing the game a trip to the store sooner, are we going to get shafted by as much as 3 hours?!

What about the demo? How long can we expect until it's available? And any info on if it's a turn limit?

In my experience (using Steam for 3+ years) most games are available to install within minutes from "release" - delays beyond 30 minutes are rare.

it happens with some games. Supreme Commander 2 had a rough steam launch. but other, even more popular games like Dragon Age unlocked flawlessly.

be prepared for a delay, but I'd say 3 hours is extreme if you have already preloaded. there will be something to download, but as long as you preloaded it should be minimal.

Honestly on a Tuesday afternoon (morning?) launch it shouldn't be all that bad. This comes from the guy that literally threw away Half Life 2 because Steam wouldn't let me play for two full days. I'm HOPING they have got better, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Having preloaded, there is a delay to play? Really? Aren't all the needed files already on my PC? I'd assume that all the game would need is to check the time against the Steam server to confirm that it is OK to unlock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm totally new to this Steam thing and I only put up with it because it is Civilization, after all.

Having preloaded, there is a delay to play? Really? Aren't all the needed files already on my PC? I'd assume that all the game would need is to check the time against the Steam server to confirm that it is OK to unlock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm totally new to this Steam thing and I only put up with it because it is Civilization, after all.

Yeah if the verification is success then it should work. These guys are talking about the servers getting too much traffic and get slowed or even crashing and so preventing the verification.

Steam will unlock at the time it's expected to (we hope) then it's like anything else, to think that there can be zero chance of complications when a large number of players all try to log onto any system at once isn't realistic.

Again, while I am sure they have improved.. two days of not being able to play a game because of Steam made me shy (RUN) away from them for years. Anyone that will say there is zero chance you could see a delay in playing is lying, anyone that says they "know" it will take X amount of time is also though :lol:

Yeah if the verification is success then it should work. These guys are talking about the servers getting too much traffic and get slowed or even crashing and so preventing the verification.

Exactly, that would be worst case.

I'd assume that all the game would need is to check the time against the Steam server to confirm that it is OK to unlock.

You do need some information from the Steam servers beyond the current date and time. The files need to be decrypted. If you look at your Civ V folder, you'll see all the files there now, but you can't read any of the data because everything's encrypted.

all the files needed to play are not on your PC. you have the majority of the game data, but you will still need to download any last minute patches and the decryption key that makes the game playable.

normally, this isn't a problem. steam has gotten good at this kind of thing, so whoever the OP got his info from is exaggerating, but you should still be prepared for some slight delays.

hope the best, plan for the worst!

It depends...since you have to wait on Mounties to deliver the decrypt key from the CSE, you'll have to wait over 3 hours. For Americans though, since Firaxis is right next to NSA, we'll have it quicker.

the 3 hour possible delay is a way to say that if you can't get it at the 0-hour... because of any problem that can occur, you don't have to rush the forum, the reporting system in the minute...

There may be some slow release or even a crash but they will do their best in order to provide you the functional game in a relatively short delay...

I couldn't play Empire Total War before release despite having ordered a disk because of Steam and I couldn't play for 18 hours after release because of Steam as I couldn't get my game authenticated in the crush. That said I still ordered a Steam copy as I don't have much choice over the actication, it was teh same cost of the alternative and the disc just isn't that important anymore.

the longest time I have waited for a release was under an hour. It was for game that had no pre load (Such as team fortress update).

I don't expect any problem with civ 5, there's gonna be a lot of people getting in at the same time, but I don't think it can be compared to game such as left 4 dead.

You can easily expect a few minute delay thought. And then forums will be massivly spammed :p

Too bad.

What`s even worse is that i`m not about to get my copy of civ V today. Planning to play the demo instead. Kind of noob with all this steam stuff. Does anyone know if i need steam to download the demo?

Too bad.

What`s even worse is that i`m not about to get my copy of civ V today. Planning to play the demo instead. Kind of noob with all this steam stuff. Does anyone know if i need steam to download the demo?

Yes you need steam to download the demo (and the full game too).

Just go to www.steampowered.com it's free. Then when steam is installed, you have acces the online store. In the CIvilziation 5 store page, there will be a link to the demo when it's release. (It should also be in the demo section of the front page of the store.).

Very simple.

I'm a little ticked that if I had walked into a wal-mart two days ago, I could be playing civ v right now. But because I ordered on steam, I have to wait until some time tomorrow.

Top Bottom