Steam was already in Civilization: Call to Power, under a different name

Raneman

Warlord
Creepy!

(This is the vibe I'm getting from most of the anti-Steam people, anyway.)

I bought civilization: call to power, thinking it was the next game from sid meier. It was crap.
It was a copy of civ, but worse.

I don't know about it being crap, i used to love CTP and CTP2. There were a lot of nice gameplay ideas there.

I can't remember what was wrong with ctp. I know I didn't last long playing it, unlike any real civ version. And then I realized it was another franchise and said: ah, so this is why I was surprised it was bad.

I remember 1 small but annoying thing. On AI turns, camera didn't center on enemy actions, so I was never able to realize what the hell happened around my land.

Yes I bought CTP1 thinking that it would be the next Civ, it did have some good concepts, I particularly liked the slavers, but over all it just did not have that addictive "just one more turn feel" that Civ2 had and Civ3 and 4 had after. So I paid $70 Cdn for it and it has been in a box around here someplace ever since.

CS

I don't know about it being crap, i used to love CTP and CTP2. There were a lot of nice gameplay ideas there.

It did have some cool ideas. Space/Underwater cities and units was cool, and CTP1 had one of my favorite Civ moments ever due to the ability to encourage revolts (Some random city revolting from some massive empire, giving birth to the Hebrews who were stuck surrounded by an enemy civ).
But...there was a lot of things done wrong. Nothing quite as irritating as seeing a warrior take out WWII era fighter planes, or watching old school warships rip apart your underwater tile improvements, or the fact that there were a ton of dumb invisible units that could cause all sorts of problems.

I still wish a Civ game would implement a "Future" era officially (without mods), probably the only thing I miss from CTP.

I played more CTP2 before playing enough of any Civ game. When Civ3 came, I moved to it. I love CTP2. It was my first gr8 contact with Civ style games.

Talking about CTP2, I still remember the fact that you could play with a big list of countries, including Brazil :p. Most countries differ basically by the name of cities, but it was cool to see the countries army symbols (as far as I remember) on diplomatic letters and some other things, like the fact that each county had a male and a female national leader.

Other cool thing is the wonder movies, they were gr8. If you don't know them, give it a check!

CTP2 also allows the construction of underwater cities (Civ3 had this too, not sure) and the space cities (THIS WAS COOL)... Don't know why, but I miss the space cities.

Most of the users on the forum had Civ2 or Civ1 as first Civ games, but for me it was CTP2. Probably it wasn't a good start in the opinion of these many users, but I enjoyed it, even after moving to Civ series later without trying the games before Civ3. In anyway, a CTP3 never existed for me to try it too :p.

Agreed. My first civ-style game was actually CtP1, and I only got civ3 one day totally on a whim thinking it was the newest edition of the same franchise :lol:

For all its faults, ctp had a lot of interesting stuff that I wish they'd picked up on in the actual civ series.

I loved the Slave Masters in CTP (although the allocation of the slaves to the cities was weak), as it made it fun to go hunting for slaves or to avoid own citizens being taken as slaves.
The combat system was quite nice, too.

The trade routes were nice for robbing them.

The wonder movies were almost brilliant.

Unfortunately, one has to admit that the CTP AI was very weak, especially later in the game when it came to make use of all those special units.

"But can the AI Entity see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?" ~ That was priceless.

I enjoyed the hell out of CTP and would love to see some ideas reach the actual series. Slavery, Trade routes, and futuristic themes were all done well in the games I thought. There were a handful of positives in the game and honestly... I don't think it was plagued by many more mediocrities than what plague most civ games; AI nonsense, spear-v-tank scenarios, etc. All common in regular Civ.

"But can the AI Entity see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?" ~ That was priceless.

I enjoyed the hell out of CTP and would love to see some ideas reach the actual series. Slavery, Trade routes, and futuristic themes were all done well in the games I thought. There were a handful of positives in the game and honestly... I don't think it was plagued by many more mediocrities than what plague most civ games; AI nonsense, spear-v-tank scenarios, etc. All common in regular Civ.

Yeah, but those common problems that you listed tended to be even worse in CTP. The AI was even worse than a typical Civ AI and god knows how many high tech units I lost to old school units when playing that game.I was young and pretty bad at Civ games at the time so I always played on easy difficulties and got a ridiculous tech advantage and would still watch my units that were incredibly advanced get wrecked by some guys with bows and arrows or clubs. The only thing that really made the game interesting was the fact that the tech tree was so insanely huge and you could get all sorts of game changing stuff late in the game (then again, some of those things were broken as hell, like ecoterrorist guys who could turn your cities into forests...but still).

Can you specify what the name is that they are selling it under? I can't find it. Have both games, but looking to purchase them on Steam.

Top Bottom