Strange religion-civ combos.

Here's one that nobody has mentioned, FoL/Infernals.

I've never actually used FoL as them, but I did get it spread to my city once (through a tech trade, which gave me a disciple). Which is what made me think of this combination.

Honestly though, FoL is the complete opposite of what the Infernals are. I was thinking that they could worship it, in a very twisted inhuman (yes I mean inhuman, not inumane) way. Since the Infernals are all about death and hell, I find it hard to imagine just what the infernals would be doing with FoL.

The closest I could probably think would be out of some sci-fi/horror thing.

The Mercurians would fit with FoL better because they want life to exist, even though Basium's ideology is more of a 'get in my way and die' ideology.

Order/Balseraphs: A society of selfish, undisciplined hedonists converting to follow a religion which calls for self-sacrifice and unquestioning obedience to a higher ideal for the greater good. Can't see them doing it sincerely. Now if the Balseraphs were simply engaging in the multiverse's largest guerrilla theater performance ... now that seems like a definite possibility! :crazyeye:

"At 2:00, the Inquisitor will deliver his report. At 2:30, the execution will begin. At 3:00, we'll begin a recess at pass out the wine. At 3:15, we'll have an orgy. At 4:00, the meeting will be called back to order, and we'll recite our homilies..."

I've also got an image of every man, woman, and child in the city spending all their time training, ensuring that every person knows their role, that every step is memorized perfectly, that every voice is the proper pitch and tone, so that they can launch the biggest, most well-choreographed musical number EVER!

I find a Hippus/FoL combination to be a tad odd, considering the Hippus are nomads on the open range, and FoL focuses on forests. Not as oddball as Calabim/Empyrean (masochist much?), but still...

oh yea, forgot that, sorry.

Still, I did manage to get it spread to one city, so, which is why I thought about that.

It would still be impossible in other ways though.

One that hasn't been mentioned:
FoL/Lanun. Sure, trees are great to have around. You don't just build ships out of nothing. But tree worship? That's not very piratey. It would be like Hippus becoming oat worshippers (because oats power their horsies.)

One that has been mentioned, but still hasn't been explained to me satisfactorily:
AV/Elohim. Isn't the point of the Elohim (the order at least, if not the society) that they're doing what they can to minimize suffering, especially that caused by godwars? I can't see any mechanism by which it then becomes okay to unleash Hyborem.

One that hasn't been mentioned:
FoL/Lanun. Sure, trees are great to have around. You don't just build ships out of nothing. But tree worship? That's not very piratey. It would be like Hippus becoming oat worshippers (because oats power their horsies.)

One that has been mentioned, but still hasn't been explained to me satisfactorily:
AV/Elohim. Isn't the point of the Elohim (the order at least, if not the society) that they're doing what they can to minimize suffering, especially that caused by godwars? I can't see any mechanism by which it then becomes okay to unleash Hyborem.

Trees are a symbol of the FoL (because of their slow growth and seasonal changing aspects), but they don't worship trees. Though I agree it would be weird for any FoL civ to cut down a centuries old tree for use in a common warboat that ends up at the bottom of the ocean in a few months, I could see them making a very special warboat out of them. In that case the boat would be seen as the next form of that tree and may even be magically kept alive and growing in its new form.

I could picture an AV elohim based on the protection of unholy sites, or corrupted by the evil artifacts/sites they guard into a darker aspect. The Elohim protect evil as well as holy places, though of course they tend to cotnain/keep people away from the evil places rather than respect them.

AV/Elohim. Isn't the point of the Elohim (the order at least, if not the society) that they're doing what they can to minimize suffering, especially that caused by godwars? I can't see any mechanism by which it then becomes okay to unleash Hyborem
Another possible explanation:
The elohim realise that all the suffering in the world is only because creation is flawed.
Now they help Agares to prove that its flawed so that a new world without suffering can be created. So while they want to bring armagedon so that the one has to act they still try to create it with as less suffering as possible.

I find a Hippus/FoL combination to be a tad odd, considering the Hippus are nomads on the open range, and FoL focuses on forests.

But they are also masters of guerilla warfare, and the cover of trees could provide them with a great advantage in war. The Fellowship of Leaves also values agility and dexterity, traits that are very desirable to a race on horseback. Also, they can keep their plains where no forests grow, and benefit from the bounty of the forest where it does grow, meaning they don't need to use up their open plains for agricultural land. They can keep it as empty space for raising their herds of horses.

What about an AV/Elohim that was purposefully trying to summon Hyborem into this world to kill him once and for all, thereby bringing peace?

Actually, can one kill him? In game, certainly. But in actuality? Mulcarn obviously didn't truly bite the dust when Kylorin slew him, since he's still around (albiet in a mortal's body).

Well when you beat the infernals he says that he'll await you in hell...

Well, the defeat blurb for Hyborem is that he will be waiting for you in hell. So I assume that his physical manifestation can be defeated, but not his spiritual manifestation.

As far as Hippus/FoL goes, they are mercenaries and can probably adapt or learn to adapt to various situations. I know they are best on horses, but I'm sure they are good footsoldiers too and can fight without thier horses if neccesary.

edit: ninjaposted by fenboy, lol. Look at the post time, the exact same minute.

Ah, yeah. I should have remembered that little blurb.

:bump:
From a recent game: The Elohim as Council of Esus. For some reason, I see them as a cross between Buddhist monks and ninjas. Yes, ninjas. FfH needs more ninjas, no? :lol:
Really, though, I couldn't imagine CoE Elohim as anything else. I also imagine they'd become, while still noble, far more pragmatic after adopting the ways of Esus. They'd give you shelter, but would watch you more carefully then the Elohim of old. Less trusting, more secretive, and more willing to use force to defend the sacred.

:bump:
From a recent game: The Elohim as Council of Esus. For some reason, I see them as a cross between Buddhist monks and ninjas. Yes, ninjas. FfH needs more ninjas, no? :lol:
Really, though, I couldn't imagine CoE Elohim as anything else. I also imagine they'd become, while still noble, far more pragmatic after adopting the ways of Esus. They'd give you shelter, but would watch you more carefully then the Elohim of old. Less trusting, more secretive, and more willing to use force to defend the sacred.

Ninjas, holy assassins who attempt to kill leaders to prevent wars/the rise of evil, secret sanctuaries, somehow CoE actually seems to fit them very well, especially if you have one of the other religions very prevalent in your lands, loke if the Order is prevalent, then they tend to target Ashen Veil civs with their assassins, if FoL then they turn forests into huge sanctuaries and kill all who enter without permission, etc.

Several times people have said that the AV Elohim would try to bring Armageddon so the One will return, but the Elohim don't know of the one. Only the Luonnotar know him and thats through blind luck/guesswork.
What would happen if Basium killed Hyborem personally? Would Hyborems soul become trapped in Basium's arm like all other demons that he kills, or would he just return to hell?

RoK/Ljosafarl "See that tree? That tree is over 300 years old. How do I know? Because I have sang the Song of Growth In front of it for every day, every year for 300 years. Now you remember the words right? Trust me you will after 300 years, because that tree is still going to be there, because your going to help me dig the irrigation canals to support it.....

Oddly I can see that quite easily. As semi-immortals (or long lived enough for us mere humans to think so) I can see a religion that focuses so much on tradition and respect for your elders (not a direct aspect of RoK I think, but certainly I envisage respect for elders being a very important thing, respecting the hard work they have done in their life) The connections to Earth and ores representing the respect for the earth that supports the trees which they obviously need so badly.

FoL/Khazad "Some marvels of the Underhome are obvious to see. The Pools of Solitude, The Gap of Brundal or the Crystal Stalagmite. But people often ignore the tenaciousness of the plants that live because of these cold uncaring, unchanging stones. The algae that clings to the pool of solitude live enitrely without light, the creepers that adorn both sides of the Gap are strong enough to support twenty men! And of the Myconids well, if you ever need evidence that nature will always survive, adapt and thrive then look no further than the acres of fungi that have grown for longer than Dwarves have delled the earth. Indeed if the Khazad are to survive this cruel new age, we must embody the aspects of nature. We must grow, adapt and thrive!
(give me a little artistic license here xD)

FoL / Lanun.

"Algae, Kelp, Bladderack... These are the great forests of the ocean, their purity sullied by the corrupting touch of those cephalopod interlopers. We shall fight them in the waves and drive them back to their depths where no sunlight warms the waters."

Pelgadee, Lanun Captain

ÆNEAS;6806490 said:
In game, certainly. But in actuality? Mulcarn obviously didn't truly bite the dust when Kylorin slew him, since he's still around (albiet in a mortal's body).

Auric is a mortal who "inherited" the ice sphere, so to speak. Mulcarn's soul cannot be found in creation or any gods vault. Either he's gone, or with the one.

Malakim/OO

We of the Desert worship the masters of the sea... at the same time as scorching the water from our lands.

Top Bottom