Stuff.co.nz Offers Its Own Civ5 Preview

I think not only are religions important in history, enough that they should be in Civ, but that they are inevitable. If you think about it, Communism tried to get rid of religion, and it became one in a sense. Stalin and Mao had different opinions on the matter, and in the end, the equivalent of the Reformation occurred, except instead of Protestantism arising it was Maoism vs. Stalinism. The fact is that religion is integral in human development.

Edit: That's in response to Kaltorak's comment

The lack of religion in Civ V is probably the worst thing that could happen, in my opinion - I loved converting the world to my religion; seeing another nation convert to mine made me feel better about that certain nation and be more friendly towards it - heck, I even gave techs.

Also, removing the possibility of naming cities is... weird. And yes it's a gamebreaker.

I guess Nichita didn't follow my link where Jon Shafer says that renaming cities is part of the game.

Remember, they usually create expansion packs, who knows what those will add to the game. I wish though, they would not take away many of the things we got used to in civ 4. I will wait for the demo before being too judgemental.

No religion is the best part about civ 5.

Removing renaming cities is just dumb of them.

No religion is the best part about civ 5.

Removing renaming cities is just dumb of them.
Frankly, it was a bad choice. It makes me think to myself that whoever created the game is ignorant of History. Have they deleted civics as well?

Cant rename your cities?! Well that certainly is a big step backwards IMO.

I completely agree. Why on earh did they decide to do that?

Phew! I just read these soothing words by Jon Shafer: "Fear not friends, the ability to rename cities will be in. It's not part of some massive conspiracy. Now, the GDRs on the other hand..."

Did nobody follow my link? *shakes head*

I had really begun to believe that Civ V had already screwed up the series as much as possible... that there wasn't anything left to disappoint me (ranged units, no religion, no stacking, no espionage, et cetera...)

but not renaming cities? *shakes head*. This just affirms it. Civ V has killed the series. I've been a solid supporter of Mr. Meier since "F-15 Strike Eagle" in 1985. We've had some great times. But this is where I get off the Sid Meier bandwagon.

It's very sad, seeing an empire not stand the test of time.

Not to forget the crap with DLC for a Civilization Game... but oh well.. enough fools will buy it, and be happy about all the flashy colours the game has :mad:

I don't understand this about DLC or what it stands for (and Steam, I sometimes hear) but don't people realize that Jon Shafer just announced that the claim that cities can't be renamed in CV isn't true? :mad: Go ahead and believe that you can't, though, and miss out on CV. I have a feeling similar things happened when CIV came out and people still felt like CIII was the best. thing. evar. The same thing must have happened with CII and CIII and before That with Civ and CII.

I liked the religion feature of CivIV more in terms of an aesthetic element rather than how it was implemented gameplay-wise. I would have liked to see religion in CiV in some form to add to the historic feeling of the game.

I second nokmirt's comment that Fireaxis might actually leave some headroom for expansions, people tend to compare CiV with BtS rather than vanillaIV. Maybe we'll see some features return in a "Defenders of Faith" or a "Invisible Wars" expansion.

Really, religion has been removed? You mean removed, or removed as in back to the way it was in the Civ games PRIOR to Civ4? So, no Sistine Chapel wonder? Oh, I guess religion is there. It's just no longer a manageable game mechanic. Religion is an interesting concept in Civ4, not sure it works great but it does work. If it goes - okay, I can deal with that. But it should be done because of game mechanics, not because some group of 30 year old asexual programmers think the whole God thing is passe.

I always rename my cities because it helps me remember which cities specialize in what. "Fort Whatever" for military cities, "Whatever Bay" for fishing or naval cities, etc. hopefully the final result will have re-namable cities.

Top Bottom