Stupidest 90s hit songs (and also some good ones)

The quickest way to get under a KMFDM fans skin is to infer that it stands for "Kill M-F'ing Depeche Mode" (its like saying "May the Force Be With You" to a Star trek fan: you don't do something like that unless your trying to start a fight). Since no one's gone ballistic on me for the inference I made (and a true KMFDM would have picked up on it immediately) then I think its safe to assume there aren't any diehard KMFDM fans in this thread.

October Projects "Return to Me" came out in 1994 and made it into the "Blown Away" movie. I don't know why it was considered good enough to make it into a movie soundtrack, as the group pairs a classically trained singer with bohemian rhythms, so its very niche-specific. The reason I like it is that it was the first song I heard while driving home after my oldest was born - a lot of sentimental attachment, and its actually going to be our Father/Daughter dance at her wedding next October (it'll be our October Project! :) ):

I like KMFDM but I'm not a super fan or anything.

God, I hate that song. :lol:

European "symphonic metal" bands have found a lot of success with classically-trained singers and orchestras. On the one hand, I'm a little surprised that it hasn't caught on with other genres, but otoh, classical/opera and metal are pretty close cousins, musically. I think some people might expect classical musicians and opera singers to be shocked and appalled by metal, but on the contrary, they seem to grasp it pretty intuitively (likewise, one might expect metal fans to cover their ears and run away, but have instead fallen in love with classically-trained singers and orchestras).

Metal fans generally seem open to crossovers with other genres except rap and nu metal was popular for a bit.

Alice in Chains blues influence for example. Pop and folk metal is also a thing.

Classical has influenced metal and some things like 1812 Overture a metal fan might like.

And Rick as well, when I was a teenager in the 90s it was the metal heads who also listened to the older stuff and even beatles.

Most of the good modern metal is coming out of Europe. Eluvietie,Korpiklaani, Epica, Lacuna Coil (since 2000 for me), Night wish etc all listenable.

Iirc they only had two hits anyway, the one posted and The Sign/I saw the sign.

Does anyone remember this awesome and funny song/video? :D

They banned that by request here.

"I want Everything about you dedicated to......"

Ok Ayn Rand.
But while music is subjective, the things that drive creativity, namely people with the skills and tools and desire, in a meritocratic setting, has vastly increased this past decade over the one before it.

I'm honestly not sure what this sentence is even supposed to mean. Also, my interpretation of "Objectivist" is different than that of Ayn Rand, an individual I'm barely even familiarized with. I have concocted my own criteria when I identify myself with the term/label. Although, sometimes it might happen to agree with that of Ayn Rand. Perhaps this is one of those times.

I never liked this song:

hit too close to home, I assume? :p

With a few exceptions, the 90s was a wasteland of bad music. If those years were your formative ones, I'm sorry; you better look elsewhere.

maybe if you're a dadrock-conditioned radio victim then yeah. but as someone who grew up in that time, you just wouldn't understand because you lack the.. experience. you know, it was kinda like beatlemania if you've ever heard of that. you just had to have been there, and been young, otherwise you don't really know what you're talking aboutr, do you? ;)

I did note that there were exceptions: Counting Crows and Magnetic Fields are two examples. I'm quite happy being pompous and pretentious. Are you?

Magnetic Fields are pretty great, I agree!
but have you heard any of the seminal 90s albums I listed here or are you just judging an entire decade based on radio play?

portishead - dummy and s/t, cocteau twins - heaven or las vegas, nick cave - let love in / the good son / murder ballads, a tribe called quest, aphex twin - selcted ambient works 1/2, dirty three - ocean songs, dj shadow - endtroducing, erykah badu - endtroducing, flaming lips - the soft bulletin, goldie - timeless, godspeed you! black emperor - f sharp a sharp (infinity), the prodigy - experience and music for the.., massive attack - mezzazine, melvins - stoner witch, my bloody valentine - loveless, nas - illmatic, biggie - ready to die, the orb - orbus terrarum

While wasteland is strong, and it's much of the music of my youth, a lot of 90s stuff did just suck. I'm going to be very ready to go by the time the 90s reboot finally dies in 8 to 10 years. Grunge and NIN and Nirvana, ungh. Perfect mood music for realizing you just don't want to do any of this anymore. Next, please.

Low Self-Esteem may grate, but it has a great line: "The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care!"

I quote it frequently, and man does it cause dissonance in people. Sure, about 50% of people I say it to recognize that it's a lyric, and then immediately know I'm being sardonic. But the other 50%? Wow, it causes them to squirm.

Shout out to KMFDM for making the Chun Li vs. Vega fight one of the most memorable cartoon fights of my childhood. Well, that and the fact that the fight itself was quite awesome.

I'm noticing how many songs here are disliked for being 'stupid', but were just honestly 'experimental'. I thought the thread was won with 'Macerana' though.

When I was a wee child I used to think the lyrics to Loser were
Waaaah
I live in Canadaaa
(I'm a loser baby)
So why don't you kill me.

I would leave out the loser baby part in the middle.

Next '90s genre I liked: Neo-folk (alternative folk; indie singer-songwriter; lo-fi)

Cat Power - Moon Pix (1998) - "Cross Bones Style"

Others: Elliott Smith; Liz Phair; Beth Orton; Ani DiFranco; Billy Bragg. Tori Amos? maybe Tori Amos. I wouldn't object to throwing 'shoegaze' in here too, Belle & Sebastian, The Magnetic Fields.

When I was a wee child I used to think the lyrics to Loser were
Waaaah
I live in Canadaaa
(I'm a loser baby)
So why don't you kill me.

I would leave out the loser baby part in the middle.

I hated that song.

Slipknot Wait and Bleed

Don't think anyone has posted Faith No More.

A Small Victory.

Top Bottom