Submarines

tstowe

Chieftain
The submarines for CIV III are the worst! First of all their range should be at least two squares and it should at least be allowed to carry 4 missiles instead of just one. The torpedoes used for either submarine are poor products in this game and should be given more attack power.

On the same token, the AEGIS cruiser should have a submarine detect range of at least 3 squares and the additional ability to specifically kill submarines.

The Battleship is by far the most under-rated. These battleships are unloading nine 16 inch guns on whatever is the target and only marginally does any damage. Compared to the Radar Artillery. . .I would rather have the artillery at this point.

I would like to hear some feedback on this.

Most ppl are unsatified with the stats of sea units in Civ3.
fortunatly unit stats are one of the things it easy to change in the editor

so go tweak to yer hearts content :king:

:splat:
I change some of the following...
If I'm going to play a large map, I add one to all naval units movement. 2 for Huge.

I add the Hidden Nationality attribute to submarines. I give Zone of Control to all naval units (except the galley and caravel).

For battleships, I turn on Blitz. This makes them extremely deadly bombard units.

I like the Hidden Nationality on submarines, they can attack without the attacker knowing who attacked.

If you dont like the way it preforms tweak it.

I went through and doubled all combat values for non first era units. This really slows down those galleys sinking battleships and warriors taking out tanks. It still happens but its less frequent. I felt the combat was a bit too out of whack. There wasnt enough difference in damage between a stone axe and 105mm shell. Ships too had this problem IMHO.

I cant speak to movement as I was generally happy with that. Sure I wish that ships would move faster but im not sure as to the realism.

As to subs with hidden nationality I copied the sub files and created a Rouge Diesal unit with hidden nationality. I made it available with Aegis cruisers as thats about the russians started selling off thiers. Same stats as a sub so its not terribly imbalancing, The computer is more then happy to use it, and it welcomes in a new era of piracy on the high seas.

Top Bottom