Suggest City Name Maps changes in Google Docs

Byzantium has its own language (called "Byzantine" here for simplicity), which is basically medieval Greek. Using the classical Greek names would be anachronistic for them I think.

I've uploaded an excel with CNM of China.

The new CNM of China is in this .rar, I make a CNM on the base of City Name Maps I.xlsx. The red city names in this CNM are different with the origin version, while the black ones are same with origin. Also the change of China map is display in this CNM.

Of course, it's needed to develop. This only the modern city name of China and some neighbouring countries.

Attachments

• City Name Maps I.rar
    178.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Thanks, will look into it.

This is interesting. I made some contributions already and will do more once I have time.

Could we have something like this but for Great People? I have seen some curious name shortages here and there.

I noticed that the rightmost column on all maps (column DT) is wrong and seems to be a copy of column DS. It makes editing the Pacific islands more difficult.

This is interesting. I made some contributions already and will do more once I have time.

Could we have something like this but for Great People? I have seen some curious name shortages here and there.
Good idea, I'll set something up when I have time.

I noticed that the rightmost column on all maps (column DT) is wrong and seems to be a copy of column DS. It makes editing the Pacific islands more difficult.
Weird, will look into it.

Do you remember this thread? I do! Thank you for all contributions in the interim, I will hold off on integrating them until the HR techs branch is ready to be merged, and I hope there will be more in the meantime.

I've been updating this some more (esp. Phoenician, French and Mesoamerican maps). I noticed that the Aztec and Maya maps are almost identical. May I suggest that we remove all Maya names from the Aztec map and set Maya as a secondary language for them, and vice-versa? That way there's no need to copy changes to both maps. My comments in the files reflect that.

May I also insist that you try again to paste the peak + river formatting that merijn_v1 made. I tried to do it in my own spreadsheet and it worked, and it would definitely help updating the maps.

Agreed on the Maya/Aztec languages. Many of these overlaps come from a time where secondary languages did not exist.

I'll look at the map formatting but it seems like a lot of manual work. Is there a way to copy paste the formatting the without affecting the text entries?

Last edited:
You can copy-paste my template into the template tab of your version. I made a small script which copies this overlay (from the active tab) to all other files in the spreadsheet. It only copies the overlay, not the text entries.

My script: (Does include the copy-to-csv format script)

Spoiler :
Code:
/*
 * script to export data in all sheets in the current spreadsheet as individual csv files
 * files will be named according to the name of the sheet
 * author: Michael Derazon
*/

function onOpen() {
  var ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  var csvMenuEntries = [{name: "export as csv files", functionName: "saveAsCSV"}];
  var csvMenuEntries2 = [{name: "copy overlay", functionName: "copyOverlay"}];
  ss.addMenu("csv", csvMenuEntries);
  ss.addMenu("copy Overlay", csvMenuEntries2);
};

function saveAsCSV() {
  var sheets = ss.getSheets();
  // create a folder from the name of the spreadsheet
  var folder = DriveApp.createFolder(ss.getName().toLowerCase().replace(/ /g,'_') + '_csv_' + new Date().getTime());
  for (var i = 0 ; i < sheets.length ; i++) {
    var sheet = sheets[i];
    // append ".csv" extension to the sheet name
    fileName = sheet.getName() + ".csv";
    // convert all available sheet data to csv format
    var csvFile = convertRangeToCsvFile_(fileName, sheet);
    // create a file in the Docs List with the given name and the csv data
    folder.createFile(fileName, csvFile);
  }
  Browser.msgBox('Files are waiting in a folder named ' + folder.getName());
}

function convertRangeToCsvFile_(csvFileName, sheet) {
  // get available data range in the spreadsheet
  var activeRange = sheet.getDataRange();
  try {
    var data = activeRange.getValues();
    var csvFile = undefined;

// loop through the data in the range and build a string with the csv data
    if (data.length > 1) {
      var csv = "";
      for (var row = 0; row < data.length; row++) {
        for (var col = 0; col < data[row].length; col++) {
          if (data[row][col].toString().indexOf(",") != -1) {
            data[row][col] = "\"" + data[row][col] + "\"";
          }
        }

// join each row's columns
        // add a carriage return to end of each row, except for the last one
        if (row < data.length-1) {
          csv += data[row].join(",") + "\r\n";
        }
        else {
          csv += data[row];
        }
      }
      csvFile = csv;
    }
    return csvFile;
  }
  catch(err) {
    Logger.log(err);
    Browser.msgBox(err);
  }
}

function copyOverlay() {
  var range, format, targetSheet;

range = ss.getRange("A1:DT68");
  var targetSheets = ss.getSheets();
  for (var i = 0; i < ss.getNumSheets(); i++) {
    targetSheet = targetSheets[i];
    range.copyFormatToRange(targetSheet, 1, 124, 1, 68);
  }
}

I'll look at the map formatting but it seems like a lot of the newspaper work. Is there a way to copy paste the formatting the without affecting the text entries?

Yes, you can copy the whole map with peaks and rivers, and then do special paste -> paste only formatting. Then it's just a matter of repeating over all maps (or use merijn_v1's script).

I don't know if you changed anything because it was so long ago, but now the DT column is missing altogether. It's there on merijn_v1's maps.

Update: finally improved the formatting of the language sheets, adding merijn's mountains and rivers and changed the font to Calibri to improve readability.

How can I never aware of this thread haha. This kind of thing I was trying to create using excel spreadsheet 7 years ago, perhaps back then Google Sheet weren't this connected yet (or existed.) I'll try to check it out and help as I can when I get to my computer.

In the meantime, if it still exists, how do you view the Arabian Tell el Dab'a etc (literally just burial mound/archeological site). Would you rather have it updated to its nearest major city (in this case, perhaps Domyat)? At least it'll give Arabia proper city names that aren't just excavation site in 3000BC scenario.

I'm now manually editing the city name maps to reflect many of the suggested changes in this thread. You can track my progress here.

Can this be transferred on Excel Online or Google Sheets? It makes editing easier, plus those who want to contribute can do so. They can be exported to CSV files for incorporation into Python, anyway.

How can I never aware of this thread haha. This kind of thing I was trying to create using excel spreadsheet 7 years ago, perhaps back then Google Sheet weren't this connected yet (or existed.) I'll try to check it out and help as I can when I get to my computer.

In the meantime, if it still exists, how do you view the Arabian Tell el Dab'a etc (literally just burial mound/archeological site). Would you rather have it updated to its nearest major city (in this case, perhaps Domyat)? At least it'll give Arabia proper city names that aren't just excavation site in 3000BC scenario.
None of these names appear in the Arabian city name map, they're only translations of cities founded by previous civs.

Can this be transferred on Excel Online or Google Sheets? It makes editing easier, plus those who want to contribute can do so. They can be exported to CSV files for incorporation into Python, anyway.
The first post already has links to some Google sheets. The whole file had to be split into three separate sheets.

None of these names appear in the Arabian city name map, they're only translations of cities founded by previous civs.
Alright, I just started commenting. I'm mostly working on Southeast Asia region name, commenting on Indonesia, Arab, Tibet, English.
Do you prefer current "Al-Quds" as it is or the more commonly used in its lowercase form "al-Quds" ?
What is your opinion on Prato (in iLangChinese - it's just a clutter in Tibet), do you consider that an easter egg too?

I think city names should always start in caps. No idea what Prato is to be honest.

Top Bottom