Suggest City Name Maps changes in Google Docs

Tiles DH54, DI53, DJ53, DM51, DN52 and DO54 in the English CNM doesn't have an assigned name despite being available to be settled. I don't know what I should put on them.
I think city names should always start in caps. No idea what Prato is to be honest.
According to Wikipedia, Prato has the second-highest amount of Chinese immigrants (after Milan). Do cities with high amounts of immigrant populations need to be represented in the CNM of the immigrants' country of origin?

No.

CityNameManager.py is actually assigning city names. The other is a utility script I used to refactor the CNM, it's not used in the game at all.

I'm done copying all suggested city names and city renames. Also, after fixing a bug I noticed in the era-based renames, I've enabled both era-based and civic-based renames for city foundings and acquisitions. It's not yet ready for a pull request since I'm still adding and testing entries, but here's the updated file if you want to help me on testing it.

Can anybody help me find references for "Caqonatambu" (Rhye's original CNM) or "Kakonatambu" (current iLangQuechua) at the tile where roughly Santiago is located? The only reference I find on Google leads back to RFC thread itself. I would like to propose alternatives since Inca actually reach where Santiago is now during her greatest territorial expansion. Also, Arequipa is too south and Quito too north, etc.

Leoreth, btw, what do you think about adding other American natives name close to where Inca/Maya/Aztec are to the map?

I definitely think the Aztec city names need changing direly, most of their historical area doesn't have names at all, and they don't adopt the Spanish language names after a certain point, like the Incas do. Seeing Teotihuacan in a place that the city wasn't even located, and at all, in Aztec times, is rather annoying

Leoreth, btw, what do you think about adding other American natives name close to where Inca/Maya/Aztec are to the map?

You could do this all over the Americas, make the Inca/Maya/Aztec city names be those of the native nations from those areas beyond their own historical areas...

You could do this all over the Americas, make the Inca/Maya/Aztec city names be those of the native nations from those areas beyond their own historical areas...

It has been done before. Only North American natives were covered, however, and it needs to be adjusted for DoC's map, which is slightly different from Rhye's old world map.

By the way, as soon as I'm finished with my attempts to make the new CityNameManager backwards-compatible with previous versions, I'm ready to make a pull request.

It has been done before. Only North American natives were covered, however, and it needs to be adjusted for DoC's map, which is slightly different from Rhye's old world map.

Isn’t that fantasy/althistorical names for Spanish colonization of North America? Not that I wouldn’t support those being part of the mod (along with colonization names for most European nations), but I meant cities being named their native names under native nations. For instance, Buffalo, NY, would be Teyohoseroron, the “Place of the Basswoods” in the local Iroquoian language. If there’s no city name recorded, the tribal name could be used (like Miwok for San Francisco).

Isn’t that fantasy/althistorical names for Spanish colonization of North America? Not that I wouldn’t support those being part of the mod (along with colonization names for most European nations), but I meant cities being named their native names under native nations. For instance, Buffalo, NY, would be Teyohoseroron, the “Place of the Basswoods” in the local Iroquoian language. If there’s no city name recorded, the tribal name could be used (like Miwok for San Francisco).
In the zip file, the Aztec and Maya city name maps have the indigenous North American city names.

I've submitted a pull request with all my changes so far in the City Name Manager and other related files.

Changes:
  • Multi-era name updates now enabled. They will now work when building and acquiring cities. This affects China the most, since many of their cities get renamed every era. I'd like to have someone knowledgeable on previous Chinese city names check my work.
  • Many suggested city names in Google sheets are now implemented. Some previous names are retained to maintain backwards compatibility.
  • I've also added several city names for many other civs.
  • Religion-based name updates for Jerusalem added.
  • City names for 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios have been updated.
  • The rename dictionaries have been mostly-sorted in alphabetical order. Fully-sorting them in alphabetical order requires entering accented characters as themselves (which I've been unable to do, since they're stored in a mix of HTML entities and Windows 1252 in the WBSave files).
  • I also edited SettlerMaps.py to encourage Polish settlement of Courland colonies (but not enough to make it stable territory for them) and make Philippines a stable area for America.

Those people , who unlike me know how this whole pull thing works, please take a look at French city map, especially in far away regions of French Colonial Empire, such as French Polynesia. Generic names are currently produced instead of Tahiti, Nuku Hiva, etc. I think island names are better than largest city names for those places.

Those people , who unlike me know how this whole pull thing works, please take a look at French city map, especially in far away regions of French Colonial Empire, such as French Polynesia. Generic names are currently produced instead of Tahiti, Nuku Hiva, etc. I think island names are better than largest city names for those places.

Why? Caribbean islands that are just as small get city names rather than island names.

The Polynesian city name map only uses island names if no contemporary Polynesian settlement was attested (as far as I could find). If possible, I still used city names, such as Mu'a instead of Tonga.

Top Bottom