Suggestion: GoTM with TBC

Succession game means that a group of players play the game together where each player play in succession. ;-) Ok that was nonsense. Basically you are 5 (or more) players, Player 1 plays 10 turns and then posts the save and description of what happened. Then everybody discusses the strategy and then Player 2 plays the next ten turns. There are whole subforums for Civ4 and 3 for that kind of game...

Thanks! (I had literally just figured it out when you posted:lol:) Seems like a fun way to play, though I'm not sure that it would be a better test of TBC's balance than the gotm format. Though I'm certainly open to try it!:thumbsup:

Don't worry about testing the balance, just do whatever is most fun! A succession game seems like a great idea.

Enjoying what I do always far outweighs everything else. :)

I think doing both a GOTM and a succession game make sense. There will probably be enough players for both to be successful.

Enjoying what I do always far outweighs everything else. :)

:lol: Agreed!:D

Edit: Oh, wait. It just occurred to me that you didn't mean that all of us should enjoy what you do (TBC) more than anything else.;)

The other really nice thing about a succession game is that the discussion is public, and so it is a really great way to highlight particular ways that a mod is different from vanilla.

It's also a great way for people to learn how to play the game, or to get strategy advice from others, or to think about the game in different ways. I know I learned a ton about Civ4 from reading succession games.

They can also be done in a "roleplay" way, with a story written up by the players.

The other really nice thing about a succession game is that the discussion is public, and so it is a really great way to highlight particular ways that a mod is different from vanilla.

It's also a great way for people to learn how to play the game, or to get strategy advice from others, or to think about the game in different ways. I know I learned a ton about Civ4 from reading succession games.

They can also be done in a "roleplay" way, with a story written up by the players.

Sounds good, does anyone want to start one?

I'd be happy to participate, though I have some other obligations coming up, and I will be away for a month or so starting mid July.

To do a succession game, we'd need to:
a) Get a list of ~4-6 people who will commit to doing it. The way it works is you have a roster, each person posts their save game after their turns, each person has 24-48 hours to play their turns or "pass".
b) Pick a version of TBC, and every player has to commit to maintaining that version throughout the whole game.
c) Pick style: strategic, roleplay, other, and any artificial game restrictions.
d) Pick difficulty level, faction, map, game options, etc.
e) Pick out an intended gameplan and strategy (though of course this can vary throughout the game).

I would be inclined to wait for the next main core non-beta release, to play a strategy-based game aimed at winning, standard map, and maybe to emphasize how TBC has shifted towards tall empires rather than wide empires; show how powerful a relatively focused empire with few cities can be. Maybe use one of the factions that has been tweaked to be more interesting? Maybe India?

Difficulty level: maybe King? We want it to be high enough so that there is still some challenge and some war, but low enough that a wide set of players can enjoy it.

I like the idea of a succession game - it would be something to do while waiting for the new patch.

I'd be happy to participate if you want to start one up Ahriman. Use whichever settings you think is best - half the fun is participating in a game someone sets up for you, and that includes adapting to any different settings.

I agree with Ahriman, "standard settings" are best. King is ok, I normally play Emperor. Then there's the thing with the new patch. As it takes time to complete a Succession game, I suggest you start one right now an play the first ten turns, we are around 4+ players in here already. And if you don't start now, you won't be finished before the new patch.

Or we can just wait for the patch ;-)

In any ways, I wouldn't roleplay, but rather discuss strategies. I would like to have standard settings, so nothing to wild (for the first SG). And I would like to decide our winning goal after turn ten or twenty which of course can change later on.

Well, I'm not sure starting a Succession game now is wise; these typically take several weeks, and if there is about to be a patch that upgrades vanilla Civ5, then that will break the mod.

So we might need to wait for the next TBC version that comes after the June/July vanilla patch.

I really need to learn to make my sarcasm more obvious on the internet... I just thought it was funny that this has been talked about for so long with increasing time delays inbetween withouth anyone actually taking on the lead and trying to start it, me included.

I really need to learn to make my sarcasm more obvious on the internet... I just thought it was funny that this has been talked about for so long with increasing time delays inbetween withouth anyone actually taking on the lead and trying to start it, me included.

I would have started one, but given that (a) I've never played one before and thus have no experience wrt what steps should be taken to prep it and (b) I've had to play on a Mac recently and am not sure whether the savegame would be compatible I decided not to - but at this point, I agree we should wait for the patch.

Oh, and as for making sarcasm clear, that's what all those smilies on the right are for!;):lol::p:goodjob:

Would it be possible to outline the specifications for a GOTM now so that we can spend our own time playing as much as possible. Succession games take more coordination so could happen later?

I elect for Thal to choose the leader, mod version and other specifics. Would it be easier to simply list the details and let everyone generate their own map rather than trying to share start files?

I would vote for not limiting the victory conditions- it would be interesting to see how other people play in different ways.

Would it be possible to outline the specifications for a GOTM now so that we can spend our own time playing as much as possible. Succession games take more coordination so could happen later?

I elect for Thal to choose the leader, mod version and other specifics. Would it be easier to simply list the details and let everyone generate their own map rather than trying to share start files?

I would vote for not limiting the victory conditions- it would be interesting to see how other people play in different ways.

This all sounds good to me.

Why don't you take the lead here Txurce? You seem to be most familiar with how GotM things work. If you could start a thread for this in the main UPaVE forum, I'll put up a notice on the website and ask a mod to sticky the thread. It's September 2nd so this seems like a good time to start... could last 1 month.

I'm working at getting the mod into a stable bug-free state... should have a version to do this later today.

Why don't you take the lead here Txurce? You seem to be most familiar with how GotM things work. If you could start a thread for this in the main UPaVE forum, I'll put up a notice on the website and ask a mod to sticky the thread. It's September 2nd so this seems like a good time to start... could last 1 month.

I'm working at getting the mod into a stable bug-free state... should have a version to do this later today.

Will do.

Top Bottom