1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Knight of Time Moderator

Not sure if that's possible for improvements, but using aqueduct segments and lowering them deep enough into the terrain might actually work.

Any ideas for straits?

2. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

The first thing that comes to mind is a widened river.

3. Leoreth

It's intended to be a coast tile feature, e.g. the water tile south of Singapore.

4. 1SDAN

1SDAN Chieftain

Just spitballing but wouldn't have it do 1/5 or 1/10 of the calculation each turn and then finalize the update one every 5th or 10th turn help smooth the performance? Instead of having a 5.0 extra wait every 5 turns you'd have a 1.0 or 1.2 extra wait every turn. (I say 1.2 because there'd probably need to be some logic to handle changes in terrain mid 5 turn change)

Obviously that'd have some issues to get around like the aformentioned mid 5 turn change, and I'm not sure the extra coding is worth smoothing the turn times, but it may be interesting to look into.

IDK I'm not really a modder, just more of a guy who programs for fun every now and then.

5. Leoreth

Sure, the smart way to do it would be to only recalculate trade routes for every fifth/tenth city each turn by some sort of modulo arithmetic.

6. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Chieftain

For straits artwork, would modified islands work?

7. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Chieftain

I only play on Marathon and at that stage of the game have only ever seen a 3300g great merchant. I usually need two maybe three. I wonder why you're seeing 9k.

8. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Chieftain

To answer your question, no, Babylonia just stuck around as a one city civ for a long period of time as civs do sometimes. I think certain AI civs are dependant on a largely clear field or a single large unstable civ. Arabia is one of them. It was probably Babylon that caused more of a problem for Arabia than the respawned Byzantium did. I'm hesitant to suggest that it is too stable but thinking back Egypt and Babylon lingered. The Greek conquerors did no more than take a single city. I suspect what has changed is not the stability but the military balance since so much has been reworked. Perhaps Arabia's starting comp isn't as strong as it once was. When I get to that computer I'll reload an early save and take a look at the circumstances of the spawn.

9. Leoreth

If they are easily distinguishable? Depends on what you're picturing.

Okay, so I don't think it's a problem with respawns themselves.

Arabia's starting units have been weakened, the fact that Camel Archers now replace Horse Archers instead of Lancers probably accounts for a lot. I already have plans to change Arabia's UU situation so that may improve again soon.

10. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Chieftain

Another couple thoughts:

1 - A player civ ought to be able to choose their civics at the very start of the game without triggering a revolution. With the mechanic already in the game through great statesmen it should be possible.
    2 - There are a lot of winery locations throughout the Mediterranean that, despite being ideal real life wine spots, are unirrigated in the game and are thus poor orchards. Perhaps orchards could be irrigated by both river and coast tiles.
    3 - I have always assumed that the sheep resource in the Andes represented llamas. Now that their dromedary cousins are in the game those llamas might be better represented as camels.

1SDAN, star15389 and hnrysml like this.
  11. Leoreth

Good point about orchard irrigation, I'll look at the locations again, maybe I just drop the irrigation food and give one base food more instead.

The sheep there do represent llamas, but considering that they were mostly used for their wool and not as a means of transport/travel, i still think sheep are a better fit than camels, despite the biological relationship.

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Looking at the map of East Africa, I noticed that Mombasa spawns too far south. It should spawn 2 tiles to the north to be more accurate.

13. borhap88

borhap88 Chieftain

Can anyone post a screenshot to show me where camel resources are located in the map? I'm too much curious, but I have not Civ installed on my laptop :(

14. Bautos42

Bautos42 Chieftain

In order to make Camels more interesting, you could add a Caravansary-building requiering Camels and boosting commerce from trade routes that are not overseas.

15. Leoreth

I mostly used the suggestions from this post. I kept the sheep in Mesopotamia, the camel in Persia is on the desert hill next to Esfahan, and added an additional camel on a desert hill in Transoxania.

No, no other resource provides that kind of benefit.

iMuffin and borhap88 like this.
  16. Bautos42

Bautos42 Chieftain

No resource but Uranium enables a building giving easy access to clean energy everywhere. At the very least, Camels should provide a (much) higher commerce yield to represent their importance for trade. Currently, it seems Camels provided mainly food, witch really does not fit their historic role.

17. Malchar

Malchar Chieftain

The same could be argued for horses, or oil (automobiles). Besides, the camels would be worthless if they didn't have any luxury resources to transport. The resources are the thing of value.

18. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Imperator Knoedel the Great, Glorious and Gracious

Well yes, and those arguments are all correct. Oil and horses should provide more value than they currently do, and so should camels if they are introduced. Leoreth's approach is frustratingly half-assed. I am against the introduction of a camel resource in the first place, but if it is added, it should at least act realistically, and here Leoreth goes and walks a middle path that is worse than either extreme.

19. Leoreth

"Middle path" implies that there exists a continuum only between doing nothing and what you would want to be done. That's ridiculous.

I would appreciate if you could phrase your critique in a way that is not just whining about me not doing what you think should be done. Do it yourself if you want to.

20. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Imperator Knoedel the Great, Glorious and Gracious

I already did way back when you first proposed a camel resource.