1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Will it be always possible to determine "on who I am playing"? Because, yes, I agree with you, different people might want different things. Some are happy to start as America and see no predetermined English cities so that they can settle the way they want. Others just hate it when they expect some infrastructure in place and inherit virgin landscape. And also some are like me, who rage quit long lasting Aztec game because after killing every single conqueror I got zero slaves (bad luck maybe) so I sent my forces to North America waiting to kill some Brits -- but they we collapsed (probably got stack fighting wars of roses instead of being prey in my flower wars). Basically players count on some traditional activity in the New World. When actors don't exist in the Old World to begin with -- things can get frustrating...

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Why would it be difficult to determine who you are playing?

3. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

I think he means he would prefer somewhat railroaded AI behavior when he is playing as some civs and more free/random situations while playing others.
    For instance he would want European AIs to actively colonize the New World whenever he is playing as the Aztecs,
    while he wouldn't mind as much when he is playing, say, China.

1SDAN likes this.
  4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

Yes, exactly, thank you very much.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

It is nice to see Greece gaining independence from Turkey in 19 century. When we play 3000 BC scenario very often Independent Greece starts with 2 cities (Sparta and Athens). But in 600 AD and 1700 AD it is hardly possible, AI does not build cities in Greek core. How about we pre-place a city on Crete (Heraclion). It is cool to see island city, always requires different tactics to capture it (need for fleet). Arabs can flip it in 600 AD scenario. Independent Greeks will start with 2 cities in 1700 scenario (when they re spawn). We have this 2 tile landmass in very strategic place of the world (Mediterranean) but most of time it is wasted. In 1700 AD scenario Ottoman culture does not even cover entire Crete making it look odd, honestly. 1 culture free tile in the age of completely established empires.

Imp. Knoedel, 1SDAN and Oblivionyx like this.
  6. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Oh, yeah that's why I said I would preferably combine this with a game option you select at the beginning of the game together with the difficulty etc. Something like "railroad everything" vs "railroad civs related to me" vs "railroad in autoplay only" vs "no railroading", obviously with better names. I suspect different people have different preferences here for different civs.

7. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

I've missed a lot in the four years I was out of touch with this mod, so forgive me if I'm retreading old ground and forgive me for bringing up Portugal again (it's my favorite civ to play). Both Timor and Makassar/Moluccas are historical areas for Portugal and Portugal was established IRL in both areas for some time (much longer in East Timor's case), but they're not counted as part of Asia for the historical goal like Malacca is. Is this for a reason?

I've seen mods for Victoria II that do this, I think it's a good idea. Off the top of my head, here's how I'd name them:
    • Historical mode (railroad everything even while human is playing)
    • Semi-historical mode (railroad civs related to me)
    • Historical autoplay (railroad only until the human spawns)
    • Ahistorical mode (no railroading, i.e. original RFC)

8. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

Reason is inaccurate rectangle.

Imp. Knoedel and 1SDAN like this.
  9. AOS9001

So by my meager knowledge of how this game works, it falls outside the rectangle of tiles defined as Asia in the code?

10. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Yes, this kind of mis-defined tiles, while not too game-changing, can be found here and there in the game.
    A couple of other examples are the strange Greek and Persian stability maps, where a few tiles in the middle of Core/Historical/Contested Areas are left out as Foreign/Foreign Core Areas.

Imp. Knoedel and 1SDAN like this.
  11. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Makes sense, let's include it.

I don't like this name pattern, because there's no reason to imply that one is more historical than the other.

trevor likes this.
  12. AOS9001

Well, what else would you be railroading but history? Coming up with ideal railroads for every civ would take time, to say the least. It'd be easier to just push things along to follow real history up until the point of divergence (human spawn)... or even after. Maybe I fundamentally misunderstood your intentions with this theoretical mechanic.

Glad to know my Timor/Moluccas suggestion makes sense, though.

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Well because you could equally argue that it's more true to history to have decisions and circumstance shape subsequent events instead of a pre-ordained historical order.

Imp. Knoedel and TJDowling like this.
  14. bluepotato

bluepotato Chieftain

To me even the conqueror events seem ahistorical, why do roman legions appear from thin air?
    Anyways, currently my biggest problem with the roman empire is that it keeps collapsing too early. And not because it's overran by barbarians, it's because the utterly stupid roman emperor keeps murdering his core population. Couldn't the AI prioritize growth in its core instead of killing its core population if it has an overextension penalty, and whip in historical/foreign areas? I rarely see an Eastern Roman Empire because the Romans die way too early.

Or do they already do that?

Rodnok likes this.
  15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

What does the sway of fate influence?
    • The World
    • Your Connections
    • Your Origins
    • Nothing

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Imp. Knoedel and DarkLunaPhantom like this.
  16. AOS9001

Now we're in philosophy!
    Maybe those kind of scripted events like the Roman and Greek conquerors (as well as Turkic conquerors) would be the kind of thing that gets disabled if you choose the "no railroading at all" option.
    But I agree, the Romans seem to always die around 200 AD in my games, usually from overexpansion. Historicish, but too early for them to have an effect.

17. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Because the AI is really really dumb.

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Please nerf Bad Relations stability penalty, especially for the late game. Congresses, AP, UN make everyone to know each other and meeting someone unhappy triggers late game collapse. Yes Soviet Union and Yugoslavia collapsed to core but last 70 years we don't see maps change too much. At some point stability favors humans because AI does not care to improve relations to stay stable.

EDIT: Oh I just discovered in dedicated thread that Leo is planning to review this before releasing. Looking forward to.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Don't expect indepth change though.

1SDAN likes this.
  20. 72_Resign

72_Resign Chieftain

Hello. What are your thoughts on this?
    Volcanoes as a terrain type as opposed to random mountains acting as volcanoes. Maybe it would be better as a terrain feature as volcanoes appear in mountainous areas as well as flat areas.