1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Hickman888

Hickman888 Chieftain

Building off of my suggestion earlier in this thread, I propose adding a new wonder... The Great Bath of Mohenjo-Daro (this wonder was also represented in Civ 6).

This wonder would take the effect currently held by the Aqua Appia (+2:health: in all cities), and would help inspire either a Great Engineer or Great Prophet.

I see this move as having two benefits:

First, it would give the Harappans a wonder to build, as I think they are the only early civilization without a wonder that represents their culture.
    Second, it would mesh really nicely with the Harappan unique ability (positive :health: contributes to city growth in the ancient era), and help inspire a play style that doesn't require spamming out city builders to meet their 30 population requirement.

2. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

For the Moorish UHV, it's definition of the Maghreb excludes Tripoli/Libya, which (as I understand) are commonly considered part of the Maghreb. In 600 AD this means you have to found some odd/useless cities in order to meet the 3 city requirement. Can the Maghreb region be expanded to include Libya?

mysterious_stalker likes this.
  3. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

Is the Nobel Prize wonder programmed to scale with game speed? You get like 20 GPP per activation from it, which is pretty minuscule when your next great person costs 5000 GPP...

4. 780

780 Chieftain

hey guys,

for DOC -

not sure where to find the requirements for founding new religions besides being first to discover a tech.

Ive tried reading the forums and can locate the "suggestions" but looking for conclusive rules...

For example, Hinduism, Ive founded calendar first. BUT as soon as the Indians spawn they found it.

So, looking for a complete list for all religion founding criteria please.

Thank you

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

In general, you can found a religion by discovering its tech while also having a city in that religion's core area.

Special cases:
    - Judaism will be automatically founded in Jerusalem if it has not been founded yet
    - Orthodoxy will be automatically founded if it has not been founded yet
    - Catholicism will be founded when more Orthodox cities are outside of the control of Orthodox civilisations than inside
    - Protestantism can only be founded by Catholic civilisations

Crimean Lord and 1SDAN like this.
  6. Krieger-FS

Krieger-FS Chieftain

Quick suggestions about ingame naval aspects, one of them I think was already suggested here before.

1) Remove the requirement of open borders agreement to naval movement in rival territory during peacetime.

Maritime borders and territorial sea are modern concepts and states rarely had any control over the sea besides few kilometers off their coast. Considering that sea routes were historically essential to trade and cultural exchange between different nations/civs/polities, I don't see reason to have the current restriction, which mimics the land borders mechanics. Perhaps in the Information Age some technology could enable those restrictions (representing the UNCLOS and new forms o sovereign over sea bodies).
    The Dutch UU (East Indiaman) would require a new effect, though. Perhaps could be + 1 Gold per turn when stationed in a foreign city?

2) Make navies useful tools of diplomacy.

Historically, warships and navies were often used as tools of diplomacy, both in the more coercitive (like gunboat diplomacy) and cooperative sense. I don't know if it is possible to implement, but warships (especially when they are in sight of the "victim") could be valued double when the AI make considerations about accepting or making tribute demands. Naturally, this would be applied only to civs that have access to sea and don't share significant land borders. We could expand this naval diplomacy mechanic merging it with the proposal of unilateral open borders agreement as tribute or allowing the possibility of successfully demanding coastal cities from other civs as tribute (which would represent well the European colonialism/imperialism in Asia and Africa and could work together with the Trading Companies existent mechanic).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  7. 780

780 Chieftain

ok, will try a game with this new understanding.

Can you confirm for the other religions? such as Hinduism and and Buddhism?

reading the thread(s), for Hinduism is the requirement a city in "India" or the suggestion for having 6 luxury items?

Thanks guys

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's already the case, as I said. You can only found a religion if you control a city in its core area, which for Hinduism is India.

9. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Isn't Buddhism a special case as well? IIRC it can also be founded by building a hindu temple.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's not been the case for a while.

11. 780

780 Chieftain

ok, got it.

thank you.

Finally, is there a final read me txt with ALL the updates, or several sources to get all the details?

Thank you.

12. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Wouldn't it be nice to have Roman roads to generate one commerce when present on the improved tile? There are not that many RR built by AI in a first place, but those that are there could have helped whoever owns that tile. Goes obsolete after Medieval Era...

Theophilos, 1SDAN and h0spitall3rz like this.
  13. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Prince Supporter

Mod folder contains txt files like "Complete List of Features.txt" and "v1.16 Changelog.txt".

14. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

I have idea that maybe Egypt's UHV should be changed

Replace one of the culture goals with a goal to control a certain portion of Canaan like they did in the New Kingdom period by a certain date

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Kingdom_of_Egypt

(Control Canaan/Levant BY X date/turn) (this way you can lose it later and not required to keep to a certain date, following history)

It could, when combined with one of the other goals as being completed, start a golden age just in the time that historically this was called a "golden age". Talk about immersion!

Maybe this could replace the first "get 500 culture by 850 BC" which is really already going to probably happen from all the wonders anyway.

--

Then you would have one military goal (canaan), one wonder goal (lighthouse, library, pyramids), and one culture goal (5000 culture)

Hickman888 and Steb like this.
  15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

or combine the two culture goals into a single culture goal

16. Hickman888

Hickman888 Chieftain

I like it. I always thought the Egyptian game was fairly easy, that mostly plays itself after you manage to grab the contested wonders. Your idea shakes things up a bit, which is nice.

And if I can piggy-back off of your idea... I think Babylon would benefit from the same treatment. Combine Babylon's second and third goals (most populous/cultured city) into a single goal at 750 BC, and add in a third goal: Babylonian Captivity (Control Jerusalem in 600 BC.) This would give Babylon a tech goal, a growth/culture goal, and a military goal. And as a happy side effect, if the AI can be programmed to capture Jerusalem circa 600 BC, this would leave Babylon more open for attack by the Persians. In my experience, the Persians, more often than not, fail to conquer Babylon, and instead opt to vassalize them instead.

17. Force44

Force44 Prince

Regarding Forest regrowth.

First suggestion:
    If somekind of formula is used to determine the regrowth of forests I'd like to include a variable that accounts for the curvature of the earth.

Imo the map suffers a bit from Mercatoresque projection deformities so the tiles further away from the equator represent bigger areas.

I suggest allow forest regrowth to happen faster/more frequent the further you get away from the equator. This will make the areas with lots of (forested) tundra a little more valuable gameplaywise and help represent the (real world) vastness of areas like Siberia and Alaska.

Second suggestion: Allow forest growth to tiles that already have improvements.
    Maybe with an accompanying penalty for forested tiles with nonlumbermill improvements (like the -1:commerce: for forested tiles next to rivers) to counter the +1:hammers: they give to the tile.
    And/or allow for improved tiles that are no longer worked to be swallowed whole by the encroaching forest.

(lets include some Macbeth and Inspiration for Tolkien in the the mod ;))
    "I looked toward Birnam, and anon methought
    The Wood began to move."​

Third suggestion: I have some concerns with tying regrowth to the reciprocal of turns left in the game with a positive correlation (eg forests (re)grow faster/more frequent in early turns compared to later turns).

The yield for forested tiles is short term higher than for unforested tiles. As the (avarage) cost for scientific advances and military units grows with each advance made, afther the point is reached when the map is filled with cities, which in my games (mostly marathon, paragon) happens at the early industrial age, necessary economic growth is only achieved by improving quality of tiles and cities.

So if growth of forests is tied to the reciprocal of turns left in the game with a positive correlation I suggest adding an additional mechanism to add forests (especially during the Industrial and modern ages) (eg the replant forest option for workers)

18. Force44

Force44 Prince

Improved yield for (forested) tundra.

During the walk with my dog this morning I figured not all tiles represent the same amount of area. Generally grasslands represent smaller areas than plains or tundra (grasslands represent a significant amount of grassland in the tile whilst plains and tundra represent predominantly plains (or tundra) in the tile with a (comparable to grasslands) insignificant amount of grasslands (and forests, hills etc))

Since tundra is also found a lot to the northern and southern sides of the map I figured they represent huge less hospitable areas.

To simulate their vastness and difficulty to exploit perhaps building railroads could give additional yield to the tiles?

Personally I was thinking an additional :hammers: (iirc that would bring them on par with plains with forests, lumbermills and railroads)

(if forests on tundra would regrow faster compared to plains or grasslands I don't think additional :hammers::hammers: for chopping would be necessary to represent the bigger area the plot represents, but increased chopping yields could also represent a bigger area. Then again, maybe the increased chopping yield for tundra should be connected to a scientific advance to represent the difficulty of exploiting cold forests far away.)

19. Alamart

Alamart Chieftain

The game crashes before the victory comes.

Attached Files:

Leoreth likes this.
  20. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Wrong thread Alamart. Bagi v drugom razdele.