Suggestions and Requests

4) I find it impossible to win as Rome, and I only play on the default victory. Maybe something like giving them an army that automatically appears in Egypt, for example, would make it much more realistic to achieve a unique historical victory with them.

I am able to win as Rome so it should be doable as it is now

I am able to win as Rome so it should be doable as it is now
Then maybe I just suck I can’t win uhv with almost anyone. :(

Edit: Autocorrect lol.

Last edited:
Rome's UHV depends a lot on getting the right momentum, not expanding too quickly or too slowly.

Unrelated - yet another UP idea for America:

The Power of Urban Sprawl: Additional :food:/:) (and maybe :gp:) from Hamlets/Villages/Towns in coastal cities.

Representing the urban/rural divide between coastal and central US while also encouraging Cottage play, without sacrificing the happiness boost of the old UP. If that's unfair to the non-coastal big US cities, it could also simply be "X biggest cities", though that risks making the bonus a bit too self-reinforcing or, on the contrary, too volatile.

Rome's UHV depends a lot on getting the right momentum, not expanding too quickly or too slowly.

The Power of Urban Sprawl: Additional :food:/:) (and maybe :gp:) from Hamlets/Villages/Towns in coastal cities.

Representing the urban/rural divide between coastal and central US while also encouraging Cottage play, without sacrificing the happiness boost of the old UP. If that's unfair to the non-coastal big US cities, it could also simply be "X biggest cities", though that risks making the bonus a bit too self-reinforcing or, on the contrary, too volatile.
100% agree:)

American here -

Having what is arguably THE largest "original sin" in American urban planning and societal organization as a "unique power" seems... odd to me?

Aren't the original sins of American societal organisation the massive seizure of native lands and slavery?

American here -

Having what is arguably THE largest "original sin" in American urban planning and societal organization as a "unique power" seems... odd to me?

That's very true, though I don't think of a UP as necessarily reflecting the best aspects of its particular civ - just a distinctive feature that makes for interesting gameplay.

I mean, looking at the other "A" civs alone, we've got holy war (Arabian UP), juntas (Argentina) and sacrifices (Aztecs), so...

Last edited:
rated A for a-hole

Aren't the original sins of American societal organisation the massive seizure of native lands and slavery?

True! I should've just said urban planning.

That's very true, though I don't think of a UP as necessarily reflecting the best aspects of its particular civ - just a distinctive feature that makes for interesting gameplay.

I mean, looking at the other "A" civs alone, we've got holy war (Arabian UP), juntas (Argentina) and sacrifices (Aztecs), so...

Sure, but my other issue is that urban sprawl is not exclusively an American enterprise, in addition to it not exactly being a positive, you know? Certainly it's on a much larger scale than almost anywhere else in the world as far as I know, but I feel there's much more important and defining aspects of American society you could point to when designing the unique power.

For example, the relative stability of the government; featuring two of the oldest political parties in the world, in the same de-facto two-party system since the 1850s, operating under the same Constitution (with considerable amendments made) since 1789. This durability is unusual, even for governments which are only nominally democratic. In fact, I would say that is one of the defining characteristics of the United States; the primary role of the government has been the maintenance of a particular societal order, with concessions only made to the populace when the correct people are in power and conditions are sufficiently poor.

I believe your bonus you proposed actually syncs quite well with the idea of stability: perhaps, boosts to commerce in hamlets, villages and towns from positive stability! Or increased happiness in cities from positive stability. But I haven't given an actual proposal too much thought.

I think, despite it's name, the Zamburak was not a unique concept to Iran, and is accurately represented by the Camel Gunner already available to civs who have access to camels.
Maybe not, but its use by Iranians is what it's best known for and it was widely used in the wars that make up their UHV2.

Plus, it's camel mounted artillery. You can't say that isn't insanely cool.

Could you remove the "10 turns of no DoW" rule for the 1700AD scenario? I don't think it is necessary, and it hinders Prussia from eliminating some rivals early.

I do think it's necessary, for example to hinder Prussia from eliminating some rivals early.

I have noticed that most of the AI leaders have a favorite religion, and I understand that this is implemented to block AIs being way too ahistorical (e.g. Buddhist Persia or something)
One aspect that results from this feature is that AI leaders will often convert back to their "favorite religion" even if they have another religion that is equally (or more) spread out in their cities.
But couldn't this behaviour be toned down a little when they are a vassal?
It is quite disappointing to e.g. play as Arabs, conquer and vassalize European civs, give their cities (with Islam newly spread in them) back, only to see that they convert back to Christianity 5 turns later.

Would it perhaps be possible to implement a small icon - or something like that - to signify that a civic is "out of date" for the current era, and that you will get a stab penalty when running it? It's great and very intuitive with the green and red text showing what is good and bad to use together, but remembering from memory what is "obsolete" for which era can be a tad hard.

Top Bottom