Suggestions and Requests

Sorry, I thought it was a request, not a question. The answer is yes. I could change the quote.

You are free to do that.

Hi, Leoreth!
my suggestion might be quite simple to formulate and i wonder it might have been many times suggested already, but i suppose that it might not be as simple to implement... Nevertheless It correlates with on-going development of changing civilizations mechanics, so I do really hope that we might see it one day in some git update :)

When player receives a message with possibility to switch to a new civilization - the new civilization already exists on the map and AI already ended its first turn. It sometimes really irritates as for example in some cases it is better to found capital in different places, but AI makes it right in the 1st turn, right at the place where its settler is appeared.

So, basically, my suggestion is to shift this switch dialogue window by 1 turn earlier and ideally try to unify the switch mechanic output with the result that you would see if you have just started playing for the new civilization from the beginning of the game without switching (dialogue about newborn civilization\civ-music change\you start from the first turn, etc).

Last edited:
Yeah, I already have that on the agenda for the new spawn implementation.

France has no historical area or city names in a lot of Western Africa and New Caledonia, even though they had the largest colonial empire and they still hold NC to this day.

Okay, good to know that you are calm about this.
:lol::lol::lol:

This forum for many reasons, has been a pinnacle of my young adulthood.
That being said however explosive it might be, I would like to see changes to the climate change situation (could there be a way in game to counter it)

Also pretty sure that Greenland is melting right now even if that is [offtopic].
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/30/greenland-ice-sheet-florida-water-climate-crisis#:~:text=Greenland's ice is melting faster,tons of ice since 1994.
:nuke::borg::nuke:

PS: I am going to shamelessly advertise and ask for contributions on looking for new additions to the natural ambient sounds! I have figured out how to make changes to them via XML
(is this going to be my first modding work ever? I am not sure)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10CaWhN9UTG5-4jutIDgSxUNGlJEotYfWXT66ITPeCfk/edit?usp=sharing

Group hug for everyone that has been posting here for at least five years. (10 for me? :shifty:)
:grouphug:

I know I am being a brat, I am nostalgic for the Y2K emojis

Last edited:
I'm glad embassies are gone, but is there a tech point at which you no longer lose contact with civs you're not near? If there isn't one, I feel like it would make sense to have some tech in the Global or Digital era (maybe Radio?) keep civs in contact permanently.

The tech that prevents losing contact is Electricity, because it also represents telegraphy. It has been like this ever since the original RFC, but I agree that it's not properly documented. Maybe a special effect entry for the tech and a loading screen hint wouldn't hurt.

The tech that prevents losing contact is Electricity, because it also represents telegraphy. It has been like this ever since the original RFC, but I agree that it's not properly documented. Maybe a special effect entry for the tech and a loading screen hint wouldn't hurt.
Something strange also happens when you research electricity, regarding foreign cities you have dumped :espionage: into, that I have always wondered about. Before the tech, foreign cities that you can "investigate" are dark on the map, and don't reveal any tiles in your line of sight (but you may still investigate and see the units inside the city). After the tech, cities are "revealed" in your line of sight, and also begin to reveal the 8 tiles surrounding the city as well. Here's a picture that shows what I'm talking about.
Spoiler Investigate City :

20210915191523_1.jpg
20210915191727_1.jpg
Does this just represent better spy networks, or what?

I'd have to check what exactly is causing that but I am pretty sure that Electricity somehow unlocks that espionage effect for free. Not sure if it's a BtS or RFC thing.

IIRC it's a BtS thing (I haven't played vanilla civ in a while) and I remember somewhere being stated that Electricity unlocks that.
I thought it was Satellites, but, yes, it's a default feature from Beyond the Sword.

Another thing: The Philippines are outside Catholicism's historical area. Whenever I conquer or settle it as an East Asian civ, that religion either doesn't spawn or goes away.

Speaking of which, maybe Catholicism and Protestantism should have a grasp in southern China due to European colonization. But there should definitely be Protestantism in Korea, as nowadays 20% of South Korea's population is Christian and especially Protestant.

I have some issues with certain techs:

-In the base game, first to discover Liberalism gets a free tech, in this mod its equivalents are Civil Liberties and Civil Rights. Shouldn't that bonus go to either of those, Printing Press or Physics?

-Scientific Method does more harm than good to Science unless you're the first to discover it or have a lot of universities. Either Monasteries should obsolete later or there should be a small science bonus for all, like +10% science in all cities.

-As for Representation, usually no one gets the free Statesman because America spawns with that tech. Either they should get a free one if no one has researched it first or the next one to discover it should get the Statesman.

Another thing: The Philippines are outside Catholicism's historical area. Whenever I conquer or settle it as an East Asian civ, that religion either doesn't spawn or goes away.

Speaking of which, maybe Catholicism and Protestantism should have a grasp in southern China due to European colonization. But there should definitely be Protestantism in Korea, as nowadays 20% of South Korea's population is Christian and especially Protestant.

Should it be though?

I think the Spanish conquest was a bit of a fluke, I don't think it was predestined to happen. Honestly I don't think even think it should be in Spain's historic territory as the conquerors events already assures AI Spain will go there. But there is no way in 3000 BC or even 600 AD that the Philippines becoming a Catholic country was a given, due to its location.

Should it be though?

I think the Spanish conquest was a bit of a fluke, I don't think it was predestined to happen. Honestly I don't think even think it should be in Spain's historic territory as the conquerors events already assures AI Spain will go there. But there is no way in 3000 BC or even 600 AD that the Philippines becoming a Catholic country was a given, due to its location.

This is really quite the can of worms to open. How much of what happened in world history was "predestined to happen"?

To answer the original request, I plan to make regions more granular (including a separate Philippines region that doesn't exist right now) in the new map to be able to be more accurate about religion spread, among other things.

Predestination about religious spread, especially where it was spread through colonial empires, is an interesting topic to cover. I do think the game could be a bit more flexible in that regard. That said, in the case of the Philippines it is mostly a moot point right now, because there is no native civ on the archipelago and nobody else who will settle it besides Spain.

Top Bottom