Suggestions and Requests

Why not use this as an opportunity to buff forts? Let coastal forts next to a city make that city count as coastal. Doesn't use that weird Civ 6 system where cities build improvements and there's the opportunity cost of building a fort on a tile that could have literally anything else on it, but in exchange, you're making a city able to have a harbor, wharf, lighthouse etc, that otherwise wouldn't be able to have it. Coastal would still be vastly preferable, but I imagine players may find scenarios where it outperforms a cottage, windmill, or watermill.
Whilst I'm not sure that I'd go with enabling a city to become coastal in that way -after all, Rome/Athens don't need Ostia/Pireius because of the scale of the tiles- but I was thinking of coastal forts the other day with regard to blockaded tiles and passing ships. In Colonization I, forts+fortresses fire on privateers/enemy vessals automatically when in range which I always liked as a mechanism.

My biggest gripe in Civilization IV is the need to train city defenders manually. Especially a hassle when I'm on big conquest missions and I either have to train several defenders beforehand (which consumes more time) or have 1-2 attackers stay in a city after conquest (eventually reduces your attacking force until you can deploy the defenders to fill in, plus those are usually weak for defending cities, e.g. swordsmen or cavalry).

I never actually played Civ 6, I dislike it mainly for the crime of being an iteration of Civ 5. Unfortunately I did not enjoy Humankind at all. I thought Endless Legend was cool and had a lot of character but I could never form an emotional connection with anything happening in Humankind. The diplomacy and war systems also seemed very contrived and broken.

I never actually played Civ 6, I dislike it mainly for the crime of being an iteration of Civ 5.
That’s the most succinct critique of 6 I’ve ever heard. I did not like direction they took 5 in, so I’ve never touched 6 (except to listen to the leader musics, which are admittedly good).

For me, DoC is the only Civ I need now. I can’t even go back to vanilla RFC.

V and VI are WAY too unoptimized for me to enjoy, turn 1 with 20 civs on a huge map in CIVIlization took like, a solid minute, I shudder to imagine its lategame

Yeah same. Only wish the dev would hurry with those updates

For me, DoC, SoI/SoIX/SoIR, and RFCE are maybe 75% of my Civ playing, RFCCW is 10-15% (there's a lot I like about it, but I really don't like the way srpt vastly reduced tile yields), and V and III are the other 10-15%. III is mostly nostalgia, but there are still a lot of things I loved about it (changing leader outfits, the Conquests scenarios). With V, it's mostly the scenarios, especially Paradise Found (nostalgia plus I find it calming) and the Civil War one (which makes great use of 1UPT and tactics. The Confederacy in that scenario is probably the most interesting military game I've ever played in Civ. The Union there is fun, too, and I even conquered all the Confederate cities once, but the Confederacy is more of a tactical challenge)
V and VI are WAY too unoptimized for me to enjoy, turn 1 with 20 civs on a huge map in CIVIlization took like, a solid minute, I shudder to imagine its lategame
There's a lot I liked about V. I think hexes work better than squares, I thought it was the prettiest Civ title (although Blue Marble in 4 is nice, too), and I loved the animated leaderheads. Civ IV, especially with RFC mods, has better gameplay, though.

I genuinely think Civ5 looks terrible. Remember when it was discovered that all tech, building etc icons were stolen from the internet?

There's a lot I liked about V. I think hexes work better than squares, I thought it was the prettiest Civ title (although Blue Marble in 4 is nice, too), and I loved the animated leaderheads. Civ IV, especially with RFC mods, has better gameplay, though.
Hot Take: Hexes in 4X games are horrible and the fact that they are now the standard ruins so many otherwise decent games. Yes, I would love to have an Earth map where it's literally impossible for a tile to be due north of another, I would love it if RFC used a tiling system that made the Earth look like it was scribbled by a toddler

I never actually played Civ 6, I dislike it mainly for the crime of being an iteration of Civ 5. Unfortunately I did not enjoy Humankind at all. I thought Endless Legend was cool and had a lot of character but I could never form an emotional connection with anything happening in Humankind. The diplomacy and war systems also seemed very contrived and broken.
It took me several games to get on board with Humankind’s design vision, and even still, I have a few big complaints (fixable through patches) about the game. However, it has enough interesting mechanics that kept me coming back for more, and I found the best way to enjoy Humankind was to treat each era as it’s own individual “mini-game”, as so much can change through the course of a single game.

That’s also what I realized I like about RFC, and DoC. Everything is always in flux, and a single city or territory might change hands several times throughout a game. Compared to vanilla Civilization, where things tend to be a bit more static.

Oh, I want to add another thing that really bothers me about both Civ5+ and Humankind. It is incredibly cramped in those games. Civ5 shrunk down the scale of the world by "unstacking" units and creating the carpet of doom where the entire world was filled with units. Civ6 decided to learn from this mistake by repeating it and "unstacking" cities as well. City district and adjacency bonuses are nice in concept but now we have a world that is primarily various cities and what isn't it filled with units. All of that just makes the world feel incredibly small.

I had similar issues with Humankind as well. So often the main frustration was units getting stuck inbetween other player units and terrain features. I guess stuff like that bothers me a lot less when it is Endless Legend and the fantasy setting makes you accept such a situation. But for something claiming a relationship with real world history is just feels wrong. Which really is saying something considering how cramped DoC even is compared to Civ4.

Oh, I want to add another thing that really bothers me about both Civ5+ and Humankind. It is incredibly cramped in those games. Civ5 shrunk down the scale of the world by "unstacking" units and creating the carpet of doom where the entire world was filled with units. Civ6 decided to learn from this mistake by repeating it and "unstacking" cities as well. City district and adjacency bonuses are nice in concept but now we have a world that is primarily various cities and what isn't it filled with units. All of that just makes the world feel incredibly small.

I had similar issues with Humankind as well. So often the main frustration was units getting stuck inbetween other player units and terrain features. I guess stuff like that bothers me a lot less when it is Endless Legend and the fantasy setting makes you accept such a situation. But for something claiming a relationship with real world history is just feels wrong. Which really is saying something considering how cramped DoC even is compared to Civ4.
The worst thing is that 1UPT fixes a problem that never even existed in the first place! It's the equivalent of banning button mashing in a fighting game. Of course you'll lose to spam when you refuse to counter what is being spammed.

This is probably my #1 problem with Civs V and VI, and why I stopped playing them entirely in favor of IV. It's like I'm playing a board game, but in a bad way.

That said, the one thing I like better in V than in IV is the cultural victory introduced in the Brave New World expansion, and the things around it, like museums, archaeologists finding artefacts, splitting Great Artists into Great Writers, Great Artists, and Great Musicians, and the real presence of their great works as objects that can be viewed (or heard) and also traded. "Three cities with legendary culture" is pretty plain in comparison.

Can we display in the city interface how many cultural points are currently needed to achieve a 20%/50% cultural ratio?
I suspect that the cultural ratio may not function properly (my cultural ratio in both the city and land interface exceeds 50%, but I am still punished for cultural stability)

Can we display in the city interface how many cultural points are currently needed to achieve a 20%/50% cultural ratio?
I suspect that the cultural ratio may not function properly (my cultural ratio in both the city and land interface exceeds 50%, but I am still punished for cultural stability)
Can you upload a save of that situation?

This is a minor thing, but can cities and forts acting as canals require a tech to unlock? It feels weird that putting down houses in 2000 BC mimics the incredible feats of engineering required to build things like the panama canal. I know some level of imagination is needed but I think it would be cool if it was tied to like a late industrial era tech. Plus then you wouldn't need to block off the panama tile from being founded early.

This is a minor thing, but can cities and forts acting as canals require a tech to unlock? It feels weird that putting down houses in 2000 BC mimics the incredible feats of engineering required to build things like the panama canal. I know some level of imagination is needed but I think it would be cool if it was tied to like a late industrial era tech. Plus then you wouldn't need to block off the panama tile from being founded early.
You mean like keep track of which direction a ship came into a city from and only let it move out of the city in that direction? If so, does that mean a newly built ship can move out of a city in any direction? Forts seem simple enough, just prevent ships from entering them, but cities seem a lot more of a headache.

I think I remember a mod where forts and cities only let ships move to and from the side with more water tiles, but I don't remember which one. It might have undesirable consequences though.

I've mentioned this before but it feels like Forts in general could use some brainstorming, they seem like a pretty marginal part of the game. The simplest way would probably be giving them additional yield.

Another possibility I'm not sure is possible: having Forts existing in parallel to regular improvements, maybe as a type of road (which could only be built within certain distance of each other).

I think it's fine if forts and cities allow passage of ships early. In Egypt, the canal of the pharaohs was a precursor to the Suez canal in antiquity. In central America, a lot of commercial and military material, as well as travelers, were moved across the isthmuses of Panama and Tehuantepec centuries before the Panama canal was built. I don't think they'd move the ships themselves (they would instead ship the stuff to the port on one side, then move over land to the other port and board on new ships), but it's not a huge stretch to allow a galleon or something to cross. We can view it as a little bit of abstraction to avoid ship-related tedium.

I genuinely think Civ5 looks terrible. Remember when it was discovered that all tech, building etc icons were stolen from the internet?
I don't really care for the interface or icons, but I love the terrain and leaderheads.
Hot Take: Hexes in 4X games are horrible and the fact that they are now the standard ruins so many otherwise decent games. Yes, I would love to have an Earth map where it's literally impossible for a tile to be due north of another, I would love it if RFC used a tiling system that made the Earth look like it was scribbled by a toddler
Hexes are better, IMHO, because I didn't like how with squares, diagonal zig-zagging and a straight line both took the same number of movement points. Hexes fixed that problem.
The worst thing is that 1UPT fixes a problem that never even existed in the first place! It's the equivalent of banning button mashing in a fighting game. Of course you'll lose to spam when you refuse to counter what is being spammed.
If I were designing a civ game, I would probably do something like 3 combat units per tile, 4 in cities or on forts. That's a happy medium between 1UPT and stacks of doom.

Top Bottom