1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Publicola, Jun 11, 2015.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

It is definitely planned, yes.
    EDIT: I mean improving both their stability and their army.

2. Osakasayama

Osakasayama Hominid in decline

Just finished a Venetian game, here's my thoughts.
    • Stability problems: Capturing Athens made my Stability drop from solid to -9 in 1~2 turns, resulting in instant indy flip of Athens or another city in every reload trial. Recent AI Venice often collapse without doing much, but could they be given a stability boost?
    • 4th Crusade: Crusade-stealing doesn't occur as often in recent games, but could this be due to the Pope hoarding so much money?
    • Mercenaries in Constantinople: Varangian guards and Tagmatas are available for too long. It's ridiculous that the Ottomans can hire them...

3. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Huh, I was able to keep stability not a problem as Venice by switching to the Feudal set of civics as soon as I could, but that probably shouldn't be necessary

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Stability for human is shaky but accepable. For the AI is huge if they can go big. Otherwise they can collapse easily.

5. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

I have to agree that Venice is one of the only civs with stability problems. At least, when I play Venice. That's probably because I want to keep Merchant Republic. The second tier of the civics is just so much better it's absurd.
    Also, the limitation of the number of cities with Bureaucracy and Merchant Republic makes them very undesirable for the human because in no game you aim to have only 5 to 6 cities. The AI on the other hand seems to love these civics. In my opinion way too many civs adopt Merchant Republic.

On the topic of crusade-stealing, this happens fairly often in my games.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I agree, also noticed that stability for Venice got harder nowadays. Both for the human player and for the AI.
    To be honest I have no idea what's the cause for the sudden drop, they were usually pretty stable before.
    Will give them some easier time in the beginning.

Good point about mercenaries.
    Yeah, I also see this happen more times than not.
    Indeed, that shouldn't be necessary. Little more details below.
    While Venice does get significantly less penalties from Merchant Republic with many cities, you are absolutely right.
    So while in itself it shouldn't be a reason for their instability, the difference is still way too high if you compare it to the potential stability bonuses from the 2nd tier civics. You indeed miss out on much stability wise.
    Actually that was changed much too long ago.
    AI civs now have proper value calculations for these civic options.
    The values might be still of a little a bit, but really big civs now shouldn't take it at all, and it also should be much more rare for medium sized civs too.

7. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

The title of the Roman Emperor was mentioned recently and that got me thinking about new types of victories:
    1. Reunification of the Roman Empire: If you conquer all of Rome's former territory Rome is gifted to you and you win the game. This would probably collide with the Domination Victory. Maybe it's possible to turn it off or to avoid it somehow?
    2. Merchant Victory: Have access to every company which is present at the time while having at least three different companies in your cities. Have a certain amount of (foreign) trade route yield in your empire and a certain amount of trade route yield in one specific city. Have open borders with 12 civs that are not your vassal. Merchant Republiy and Trade Economic have to be adopted for at least 50 turns.
    3. Religious Victories: Catholic: Ensure that the Pope is alive. Control Jerusalem. Make sure that there are no muslim, no pagan and no protestant civs and that 50 % of Europe is controlled by Catholics. Don't have Islam or Protestantism in any of your cities.
    Orthodox: Ensure that Constantinople is in Orthodox hands. Convert 7 civilizations to Orthodoxy. Have 100 faith points for hundred turns (which don't have to be consecutive). Make sure that Orthodox civs have more culture than every other confession/religion.
    Muslim: Control 4 Holy Cities. Make sure that the Asian and African parts of the map and Spain and the south of Italy and France are controlled by muslim civs.
    Protestant: Found Protestantism. Make sure that Protestant civs control the most wonders and 75 % of colonies built. Settle at least one of each Great Person. Make sure there are at least 100 cities with Protestantism.
    Pagan: Make sure there are only Pagan civs. Raze every Holy City.

These would obviously require that you can declare war on the Pope.
    Feedback is welcome - I only made suggestions.

8. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Some of those religious victories seem easier than others--yikes at the Pagan one, for example!

9. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

I like the reunification of the Roman empire. I'd say substitute domination with this one.

Generally I'm not a big fan of multiple alternative victories. I dislike that for most of them a very similar dominant position is the optimal way to achieve them.
    And also achieving them ends the game.
    It would be really nice though if similar quests gave mutual exclusive bonuses to help achieve an already established victory condition. That way you have more different options to explore per victory in stead of more very similar options per victory.

10. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

Just an idea for an UB, might be suitable for Morocco.

Cities on desert are exempt from all kinds of upkeep. (so they don't count towards any science or stability penalties in addition to their exemtion from monetary upkeep)

11. faremoutgames

faremoutgames Chieftain

If I can suggest something, I would have liked that a civilization could really transform itself into Italian civilization during the end of the game (even if it doesn't exactly match with historical dates). It is yet possible, with Genoa more especially, but it's hard because of stability, and because of the Pope (although I converted him to my civ thanks to an army of spies propaging my culture :D )
    Plus, maybe it could be interessant to create a romanian civilization at the end of the game (~1600), else Hungarian and Ottoman are too powerful and won't collapse wheras it is the case according to History (Hungary controlled by Austria and Ottoman Empire losing gradually influence at the end of the XVIII century)

12. Ianchen99

Ianchen99 Chieftain

So I don't know if people have suggested this before or not.. The Southern part of Russia/Ukraine/Crimea is pretty empty throughout the game. Should we add a Civ - Crimean Khanate to it???
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Khanate
    Crimean Khanate
    Start date: 1449
    UU: Crimean Tatar Cavalry Archer ... Replaces horse archer Strength: 13? Movement 4? Flank attack against bombard/cannon.
    UP: Every unit you killed/captured turns into a slave and can be sold to another civ. Slaves can also be used as a worker.
    UHV 1 Capture X units by ?
    UHV 2: Have a friendly relationship with the Ottomans
    UHV 3: Destroy or vassalize Muscovite, Poland, Lithuania, Romania if they exist.

13. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

In one of the other threads, Absinthe confirmed the next four civs to be added: Sicily, Tunisia, Crimean Khanate, and Egypt.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/development-thread-for-1-5.568509/page-16#post-14734205
    This same post also notes that Crimea would generally follow its setup in RFCE++.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rfce-beta.446578/#post-11052007 (Scroll to the post below to see the description of Crimea)

Publicola likes this.
  14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Indeed, that's the plan.
    The details are up to debate of course - and actually there are some pretty complex and detailed suggestion threads for some of them.
    For Crimea and Tunisia there were less posts, I guess because their gameplay role is more straightforward.
    I liked to ++ approach for both civs (especially the Crimean one because of it's uniqueness), but as I said, nothing is set into stone.
    So feel free to make suggestions about them, or to discuss/criticise the current plans.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Introducing slaves would be a big amount of work for fairly little benefit in the mod. Representing them ++ style, with extra population and production in the capital isn't too far fetched imo, especially if we keep the razing cities UHV in some form.
    Maybe some sort of unit requirement could be added to the city razing UHV?
    Seems a little too easy to me.
    I don't want to hurt anyone's nationalistic feelings, but Romania has no real place in the mod.
    Neither geographically, nor historically.
    If I'm not mistaken, Wallachia and Moldavia were only established around the 14th century (with their ancestors only started to move north of the Danube around the 12-13th century), and weren't even regional powers throughout most of the timeframe of the mod.
    From the region Serbia is a much better choice historically.
    Geographically (from a gameplay point of view) there is very little room in the area of Wallachia, Bulgarian cultural borders from the nearby cities dominate the entire area.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Oh, that raze X cities would be my farovit UHV :)

17. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Why not just have Crimea as an unplayable civ? It doesn't make much sense giving them conquest UHVs or whatever. Just have them be very friendly to the Ottomans, and act as a buffer against Lithuania/Russia. The fact that you do not represent the Golden Horde or Kazan means that the politics of Crimean expansion don't even exist in the game.

Ultimately trying to represent truly non-urbanized civilization is a futile exercise in Civilization. Having them be unplayable, and then restrict their ability to build settlers, makes the most sense for this game.

And I second Serbia, Balkans needs more love, more mountains and more Hungarian buffers ;)

18. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

Is this how SOI handled extra population from nearby razes cities? Nothing too complicated, right?

19. Ianchen99

Ianchen99 Chieftain

i wonder if slaves can be used like in RFC doc with the Kongo civ? It can sell the slave for cash or use them to work on improvements like a worker (in RFCCW)?

20. mp40 killer

mp40 killer Chieftain

Hello, I was just wanting to make a suggestion with Prussia. I felt their UHV could use some change, as in allowing you to gain Brandenburg area without there being any stability issues.