1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Publicola, Jun 11, 2015.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Sounds great! :)

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Actually it's already included.

3. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Warlord

Where?

4. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Warlord

You should add one of the History Rewritten mod diplomacy music for your own diplomacy music like for Venice and Genoa (Italy)

5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Hey Absinthe!! Now that you are here, can you update us. What's going on with the mod? What you working on, what was done since the last version, what we can expect and what is still on the to do list?

We appreciate any info regarding to these questions.

What about the mission impossible nations? (russia, Lithuanian, ottomans ect)

Thx

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Actually I would like to improve the diplo music in RFCE for a long time, with also collecting the relevant info.
    Something along the lines with this:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/soundtrack.567943/

On a very related note, ATM I'm working on having separate region/civ specific soundtracks.
    Made separate threads about both.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, it's high time I post some details about the development once again.

My modding is about lots of multitasking nowadays... mainly torn between 2 things:

First of all, I want to release a new full version before adding any of the stuff that destroys the current overall balance, the recognized gameplay for most civs.
    This release should be rather polished, as this will be the most "finished" version for quite a long time after all the new stuff is added (especially the timeline, which affects almost everything).
    So I would still like to do quite a few things with it, improve on a couple civs.

On the other hand, I'm way more inclined to work on the new stuff, which is probably not too surprising.
    So development on the already decided new stuff also goes on, and sometimes (well, nowadays usually) that's the stronger part.

So while the polishing is rather slow atm, and that should come first in the mod's life, the new additions are forming nicely in the meantime.
    At the moment, I'm pretty sure that the new civs and the new timeline will both come this year.

8. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Warlord

@AbsintheRed when the new version of this mod will be released?

9. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

This is going to be a almost useless long term criticism but I think this mod has a great work held back by a very fundamental problem: everywhere in the map is almost perfect for a city. And any city can be really important when grown, which imo damages the historical setting.
    Maybe it's my personal taste but comparing with the RFC Sword of Islam mod, there are so many grassland tiles in the RFCE map and this makes almost every city identically good/productive. Of course this seems historical at first glance because SoI map has large deserts in Middle East, but the output is that SoI has some few important cities that give that historical feeling and emotional attachment to the cities while RFCE has a snowballing problem with too many perfect cities.

This problem has two outcomes,
    first, unimportant cities become as important as important cities, e.g. many cities in Libya can grow as large as Constantinople and can build a wonder quicker than Constantinople, churn out units each turn etc. A city like Cyrene has almost the same terrain with Venice (with even more available tiles!). This gives huge power boost to any country after it developed its land and increases the snowballing problem in the late game. Paris has a good location but so does all the other cities in France, which makes Paris very ordinary.

second, important cities in the crowded parts of Europe are not represented enough. best example is Northern Italy, an average city in Northern Italy like Florence or Milan has too few tiles because cities are too close, but these cities were important and rich, imo they should be able to run more 'good' tiles than a city in e.g. Morocco or Ukraine.

solution ideas:
    reasonable one: being harsher with the map, more non-improvable forests, marshes, deserts etc. Paris can be an all good flatland but not Angiers.
    unconventional one: change the resource system to something like DoC where your cities actually 'consume' resources, so your cities can't share the bonus from only one instance of a resource until you acquire more instances, instead the core parts of your empire e.g. more cultured cities consume the resource first. This would limit the growth of periphery cities and you could only have an handful perfect cities.

10. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

I think that Spain, Northern African, the Levant, and Anatolia are 'incomplete' within the map because the new "semi-desert" terrain has only been added to Egypt per the latest revision.

I remember submitting (maybe two years ago?) several screenshots, and possibly a map file about where I would have placed the new semi-desert terrain (as well as the new "islands" terrain as well) based on the Koppen climate map of the Mediterranean region. From what I remember, there's an over abundance of the "Plains" and probably "grassland" tiles in Spain, Northern Africa, Levant, and Anatolia. Although, the "islands" terrain could cause the same problem.

I'm not sure what Absinthe planned for changing the terrain though. I like the idea of adjusting marshes for Eastern Europe, after all there was a lot more wetlands and forests in Europe through the Middle Ages.

KeeperOT7Keys likes this.
  11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Actually I very much agree.
    To all your points, more or less.
    Changing the resource system to be quantity based is also very much on the table, but did not make up my mind on it yet.
    Indeed, semidesert was added for this purpose, and that's just one step.
    The map will see some bigger changes along with the new civs.
    Making both terrain and city-spots more diverse is a main point of those updates.
    (The always postponed revision of Ukraine/Russia is another one, also improving the province map with adding new ones and redrawing the current ones.)

hnrysml, V. Soma, Publicola and 3 others like this.
  12. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

I am glad these were already considered, I didn't check the RFCE forum in a long time because I thought it was inactive but I just wanted to share this observation without looking at the planned changes.

13. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

This isn’t a big change or suggestion, but I think the Portuguese spawn/starting scenario can be adjusted more historically and benefit gameplay. I had this suggestions years ago but looked over it again since I thought about changing Moscow’s spawn.

Portugal’s current situation: They currently spawn in an empty modern day Portugal in 1139 and found Lisbon. “Portucale” flips in the north. The Moors occasionally found a city in the south, Algarve “Burj Munt?” The problem to me is that Portugal is essentially empty and untouched by Spain or Córdoba. Portugal has few challenges, if any, for its early game with regard to its neighbors. It can easily settle the modern day boundaries on its own in a few turns. It’s ahistorical and boring.

Changing Portugal’s spawn:
    Spoiler :
    My suggestion would be to have Portugal spawn in Portucale/Oporto, and to reduce their flip-zone to one or two tiles above Lisbon. This way, they would have to conquer their way south to Lisbon and then Algarve. Their starting stack is efficient enough to accomplish this.

Possible changes for Lisbon, which would have to exist before Portugal’s spawn:

1. Found an independent “Olisipo” early in the game on Lisbon’s tile. This would serve as a potential target for early Córdoba to conquer (Ulishbunnah), which they historically held for several centuries. Then Portugal has to retake it. Downside, it could be razed, and then there’s the whole cultural instability issue...
    2. Change Córdoba’s settler map and province stability so that Lisbon can be founded by them. Downside, a city a tile or two away may be founded instead. However, this would help the area become settled.
    An alternate proposal: Move Portugal’s spawn a little earlier to 1128, marking when Afonso Henriques effectively took control of Portugal at the Battle of São Mamede. I think their current spawn date is fine though.

I think that adding an independent Lisbon for Córdoba to conquer, and then Portugal to conquer creates a more historical Iberia while also creating more interesting gameplay. It is better in my opinion then leaving the area unsettled until 1139.

Edit: the main drawback for me would be the AI having to conquer Lisbon quickly, whether it is independent or not.

Russia/Moscow: This is how I imagined a starting situation in 1325. Photo taken from a screenshot of landmarks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Krieger-FS and gilgames like this.
  14. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Warlord

The last time RFCE was updated was in 2017.

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

The last update was a couple months ago (2020.03.19), while another bigger one is coming very soon.

Having said that, a full release is long due, mostly for people not using the SVN version.
    (Also because I won't start adding/uploading all the shiny new stuff until it's released.)

16. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

:) always excited to hear about another update!

Somewhat related: was the barbarian peasant spawning from SOI figured out, or will that be considered much later in development along with a potential return to random events? My guess is that it was a low probability spawn for any civ running Orthodoxy or Catholicism with increased probability depending on civics (Feudal ones).

I remember that you liked the suggestion to add it some time ago.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

No, this is not planned for 1.7.
    Maybe alongside a civic redesign (or at least civic update), which will be needed after new techs are added for the new timeline.