Suggestions Thread

Seafood needs to be concentrated around spawn sites (I had a Japanese start where the only fish was 10 tiles away in Chinese hands).

I've seen sheep on mountains (somewhat appropriate but can't be pastured).

Seafood needs to be concentrated around spawn sites (I had a Japanese start where the only fish was 10 tiles away in Chinese hands).

I've seen sheep on mountains (somewhat appropriate but can't be pastured).

It's the same as the Cows, Corn and Wheat on Mountains that appear near European civs; England and Japan seem to get Sheep around their spawn sites. That makes sense for England, but it's a bit baffling for Japan.

I just started a new game as China; this time Rome spawned in "America". Also, despite beelining to Mathematics and then Calendar, on Viceroy, Egypt beat me to both Confucianism and Taoism. (I WBed them to myself.) The Egyptian AI really, really needs to be stopped from gunning for the religious techs. They didn't found Judaism this time, though; it was founded by Persia on spawn. (Persia starts with Monotheism, I think.)

Actually, it might be a good idea to really deemphasize Monotheism for Egypt, then change Judaism to Zoroastrianism. At least then you'd have the religion be founded by its historical founder (Judaism not having a civ or even an independent city now).

Good points Verily, though I was able to get Confucionism with China on monarch in my only game as them...whether or not this was an abberation only time will tell. I was two turns away from Taoism when it was founded but I didn't beeline so maybe I could have done that too.

I along with others have asked for Zoroastrianism and now that there is no independent city I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done.

Can we do something to stop india, babylon, egypt and rome from nailing all the tribal villages?

i played as japan, opened worldbuilder and noticed that every single tribal village was gone except for the "new world" ones and a few on isolated islands. it was odd being discovered by egypt the turn i spawned, but even more odd that i just knew - checked and confirmed.

Perhaps as oceans seperate the "new world" a system of mountains and marshes can be used to seperate asian ones.

also, i like the religions as they are. I agree with zoroastrianism. I also agree with Paganism being a RELIGION and not a civic (to classify shamanistic, and other pre-christan earth worshiping tribal civ's). Don't even flame me, because i wont respond i dont care enough to debate weather it should be a religion or a civic. I also think more than 7 religions would not be a good thing, and the mods i played that have 10+ religions it gets ridiculous when every nation founds its own religion.

But to flamers in advance, i would be happy replacing christanity with zoroastranism or anything for that matter.

Independent / barbarians still confuse me so i can't comment on them until i see more of them. I think when a civ spawns, it should DELETE all barbarian/independent units in its squares to prevent spawnkills.

I agree with the concept, the idea of what your saying but Paganism is not the correct word to use. Not here to "flame" or whatever, but I think, especially with Rhye's mod as it much more than the vanilla tries to be historically accurate and respectful of global cultures via authentic city names and so forth, that a less pejorative word should be used such as "Animism" "Shanism" or perhaps "Classical Polytheism".

as for your second question

They were suggestions, not questions.

the spot where a civ will spawn is chosen when they spawn

I am making design suggestions. I am sure they could be programmed.

you should expand "historically" and you should be safe, IE found coastal cities as Carthage, and don't found cities near the equator as the Vikings...

Too vague. And possibly less information than the AIs get.

maybe it would be better if when a civ spawned, it checked the cities to determine HOW close it is to your capital as well. I checked my save, and my flipped babylonian city was 3 spaces from my capital, 5 spaces from the mongol capital.

I believe cities built in your capitals "third growth" range should be safe (3 spots from capital). of course that would create a metagame around it, but hey.

I'd report this as a bug -if you're sure- since it contradicts what Rhye said on how it should work.

Good points Verily, though I was able to get Confucionism with China on monarch in my only game as them...whether or not this was an abberation only time will tell. I was two turns away from Taoism when it was founded but I didn't beeline so maybe I could have done that too.

I along with others have asked for Zoroastrianism and now that there is no independent city I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done.

It seems to be somewhat inconsistent in terms of which religions Egypt beelines. If they go for Judaism, you're probably safe as China in getting Confucianism and Taoism, but Egypt beelines Confucianism about half the time. The Egyptian AI didn't even really have a particularly good start location in the game, so I'm not sure what caused it to be such a tech monster. (Egypt led the tech race right up until I won the UHV in 1600.)

This is probably all carried over from BtS, where the Ramesses AI, along with Isabella and a few others, is obsessed with founding religions. Since Egypt didn't found any of the religions in the game, and RAND continues to emphasize Christianity for Rome/Greece, Confucianism and Taoism for China, Islam founded on spawn for Arabia, etc., this should really be stopped.

I think that there should be more seafood on the map. On a Japan start, I got 2 work boats, but nothing to fish within 3 turns of moves!

Also, there a whole lot less rivers than in the real earth map. More rivers!
Short rivers, curvy rivers, long rivers!

Hi all,

I just tested a couple of games, a screenshot of one of them attached. Two problems arose:

1) When new civs spawn, they almost always take one of your cities, even if you have only two! This way, playing on doesnt make any fun

2) Other early civs build their second and third city very close to the capital, mostly within 2 spaces away. That way, neither their cities can flourish nor the map is accurately settled. I suppose, it was made this way for RFC because of the lack of space. Now with RFCRand it seems outdated ...

My suggestions:

ad 1) If a new civ spawns it only takes a former civs city, if that civ has more than 3

ad 2) The rule that cities can be build within 2 spaces of the capital should be dropped.

Attachments

• screenshot.JPG
    screenshot.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 87
I've tried several Dutch starts, and inevitably I get either a cow or wheat on a mountain. Aren't the Dutch supposed to start in lowland? And where did all the rivers go? (dikes are going to be less useful)

Also, Germany is usually nowhere to be found close by, and in one start I was separated on an island from all other civs, so no religion at all. And France isn't so nice to me as usual...

Religion fix: Enable "Choose religions" so they wind up with a "preferred religion".

I also thought about the mountain resources - we all know that Inca can work mountains (still can, right?) Was this put in for their benefit?

I have found through many tests that India seems to be placed in Africa more often than not, Persia is often put in a position to the EAST of China and the Khmer usually have no developable land to grow into.

I Have also seen the English, Portugese and Sutch put on Mid Atlantic Islands. I have found northern Europe to be too filled with tundra and ice, often confining the Vikings to a harsh world with no expansion posibility.

Many times I ahve also seen an empty Africa that is HUGE, while Europe is small and filled with desert.

ad 2) The rule that cities can be build within 2 spaces of the capital should be dropped.

Well, it is by pacing your cities 2 spaces apart that saves your rear end on stability. the problem in RAND like you- is that my important city always flips even if the capital is 8 spaces away from the city, which is 2 spots away from your own capital. This has also caused another thing i noticed.

Anyone notice all the bare map? It seems like a very good portion of the map is always unsettled, and unused.

I also hate it when a civ puts a city near my capital, and destroyes my productivity and culture, by building my cultural borders inward. I have done it with Babylon in a sarcastic ICS (inf city sprawl) and the borders of moskva barely got to work any tiles because of my irrelevant cities placed right next to their most important ones.

One idea i had was to try to follow the guide a little more literal. for example, in RFC, Khmer boundries are 3 spots above where the settler appears - 6 spaces west (to the city of Pagan) and south about 8 spaces. So i played Khmer and tried to set up my city building the same. 2 spaces west of capital - 4 spaces south, 2 spaces north, and still lost cities to civ's that not only spawned nowhere near the city in question -

but expanded IN THE OPPOSITE direction of the city they flipped.

This is pretty minor, but, for the purposes of city naming, even freshwater lakes are considered coastal cities. So, for example, Spain starting next to a one-tile lake will have Barcelona rather than Madrid as its capital. This is, I think, inappropriate; lake cities should be named from the inland lists.

Top Bottom