1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by vidimce, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Dale

Dale Deity

To quell further questions about these two topics: ;)

1. "English" infantry now "Commonwealth" infantry.
    2. All BTS events converted to RtW (means some won't trigger due to obsolescence).

2. 208

208 Chieftain

Just a couple of comments on some suggestions made. Civ4 is not a game of fine detail, in fact the designers tried hard to clean up as much of the unnecessary detail and micromanagement as possible! Let's not go adding these back into the game:

* Machine guns: The Pinch promotion could be considered to represent MGs (and other anti-infantry support like mortars, snipers, and so on). If you want extra MGs, upgrade your units with Pinch ;)

* POWs: Totally aside from whether such a thing would be appropriate to model in a game (as opposed to a historical simulation), cities already go through a long period of disorder after being taken. You could consider this to include the integration of POWs and refugees.

Nice work Dale, reminds me a lot of Hearts of Iron, probably my favorite WW2 game ;)

3. Zeviz

Zeviz Prince

Dale, I just want to thank you again for making this great mode and to say that you made the right decision to draw the line at PoW camps. The forced labor civic is there for people who want that option. And the ability for Germany to conquer the world should be enough for any neo-nazi on these forums. Giving these neo-nazis an opportunity to send their PoWs to a city called Auschwitz and disband them there would be a little exessive.

PS As for the atrocities committed during WWII, only the Nazis ran the extermination camps with the purpose of killing as many people as they can as effectively as they can. The prison camps in Siberia were terrible places, but their pupose wasn't genoside, and far more people survivied those camps than nazi camps.

4. Dale

Dale Deity

Thanks guys. :)

5. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

I second Zevis's opinion, though I hope there aren't any neo-nazis on the forums. And he's right about the Siberian camps, too - the deaths there were more a result of neglect than purposeful killing.

The partisan mod would be a great addition, though - it would simulate civilian resistance very well.

6. Dale

Dale Deity

According to the UN, whilst the Soviet Gulags are horiffic for the number of deaths, they differ from the Nazi camps in that they were prisons. Their purpose was to hold prisoners who broke the law as opposed to the Nazi camps who's purpose was the extinction of unwanteds.

Now let's not get into a discussion on the terminology "broke the law" and the interpretation taken by the Soviets eh? ;)

7. vidimce

vidimce Warlord

Suggestion: Countries should be able to be liberated. Right now once you conquer every city of country, it ceases to exist. It's destroyed which shouldnt be so. It should be the way it is in the original BtS. On top of that a partisan mod would fit in perfectly. While a country is occupied, some random partisans can start appearing from time to time.

8. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

Some ideas for the partisan unit specs:

Strength: Around 10-12 (eager to fight but untrained)
    Movement: 2
    Starts with guerilla 1 and woodsman 1 (good at fighting in rough terrain)

9. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

Yeah, it'd be good to activate the 'Require complete kills' option, to allow the liberation of countries (e.g. France, Poland, West Balkans).

10. Jagordon

Jagordon Chieftain

I'm new, but would just like to put some input (btw great job on the mod, I love it and I could care less about the minor issues that I have read in this post).

On the subject of partisan unit as a resistance unit. I think that it really can't be a infantry, but more like a spy in that most resistance wasn't military battalions forming up and taking on the enemy in straight up battles, but more in the lines of harassing infrastructure and guerrilla attacks could have specific mission like destroy infrastructure (in a certain amount of turns, start revolt in a city and weaken unit like 1 or 2 strength).

Also a feature like a government in exile could be a cool idea and triggered if X% of original cities are lost and that the capital has been captured. Could work like a Mongolian camp (from I believe the warlord scenario) spawning a unit every once in a while (only infantry and maybe light tanks). The Gov.-in-exile unit would go to the nearest alive ally's capital. Would give a reason for the French to evacuate at Dunkirk to fight another day instead of fighting to the last man in the last French city.

Also add a new civic for exiled govs so that they can have a lot of free units so don't go broke.

Of course this would probably way to hard to implement in anyway, but its just my 2 cents.

11. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

It'd be hard to work, but pretty decent if it could - I like the idea of Polish exiles fighting on through WWII. The camp would be a great way to work that.

The spies idea for resistance would also be good - possibly a mixture of partisans and spies?

12. nemt

nemt Chieftain

This is the UN that had the Soviet Union as a permanent leading member, right? I want to make sure I'm thinking of the same UN you are.

13. Jagordon

Jagordon Chieftain

^ You even quoted it, come on.

14. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Warlord Supporter

Your attitude is getting quite annoying.
    We should discuss of a game.

It doesn't matter if I personally don't agree with the American oriented point of view: Dale created a great mod, and I thank him for this.
    War criminal behaviour is not represented, as it could offend not the opinions, but the entire life of people who suffered because of it.

15. Dale

Dale Deity

This forum is for discussing the mod Road to War, not for discussing the merits of one ideology versus another.

Thanks. :)

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

17. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

:lol: :goodjob:

18. Saragon

Saragon Chieftain

Not sure that i am even in the right thread but anyway. I am curious as to why when playing one of the historical game modes that all the events for the axis/russians are included but not the allies. I have played historical as russia and england several times. And i do not understand why the russians invade various countries as per historical timelines yet there are no historical timelines for the allies. I play as russia. And i invade poland finland etc. but i dont understand why england/ the usa do not invade north africa itlaly and even western europe on the given dates. What i run in to is a situation were as russia i follow all my historical events but then in time i am overun by italian german vichy french and balkans forces because the us and england do not follow historical events and invade when they should.I love this scenario but i honestly think this needs to be addressed. You have done a fine job with the scenario but as far as the historical aspects i think the allies invasions need to be added. As i said in my experience russia is left to alone even well after the date when the us/british should have invaded north africa itlay and france

e

19. Bombardment

Bombardment Chieftain

@Saragon
    Dale already tried to tweaked the ai, so the support from the allies in the next beta could be improved. Even though the russians are not balanced yet, the only civic who goes to war against the axis without joining the allies. Also the government settings have high inflation and WW results. With every raid they become weaker and with the expanding border the are in close touch with all axis forces.

20. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

The problem with current historic events is that they are somewhat limited to Declaration of War. i.e it is not exactly the event of Germany invading Poland or the USSR invading Fenland. It is just the two countries declaring war on the respective countries. In case of the Allies at the time of the historic invasion of western Europe, northern Africa, or Italy, they already at war with the Axis countries so the kind of events needed is different.

I don't know how Dale is intending to improve the AI and I am sure he has got some good ideas there. In my opinion additional events can be added for these historic invasions where the Allies are given some troops at the right time and place. Now such events should have some conditions besides time. For instance if England is already invaded by Germany there is no point in triggering the event of Normandy invasion. If the player is controlling an Ally country he shouldn't receive troops but he would be informed to cooperate in the mutual military action. For instance if England is human, and US is AI then England is informed that a couple of turns later the plans for invading western Europe would be implemented. The US will receive an appropriate number of units at the time and place while England (Human player) should act to assist the invasion.