Swabian Swordsman ?

cemo1956

King
I have been looking high and low for this mercenary soldier from the early medieval ages.

As I understood it he was the main counterpart to the Swiss Mercenary Pikeman. In a mod having special mercenary units he fits in 100% in the time of the 1000AD and forward to the fall of Byzantium I think.

Recruited in the imperial province of Swabia these men carry large swords into battle and are armored in light mail. So a two-handed swordsman should do it.
I have been looking over the best collections of Imperator and Sandris but I´m not sure if they have covered this fearless warrior.

During the same era the Varangian Guard did mercenary work too, mostly in the Byzantium Kingdom and perhaps the Russian Medievel Axeman from Sandris could cover this bloke.

But who is the best two-handed swordsman around ?

Here are the ones from Sandris that could fit it, although they may be a little too weel armored. Others don't have a two handed sword. I've not included the English or French, they won't look German enough.

Late medieval

Renaissance

Perhaps the Gallowglass?

No offense, but I've never heard so many historical nonsense in one post. ;) To help you find your swordsman, you should describe what you are looking for. Any fantasy type swordsman will do? You won't find something you described in Sandris' oder Imperator's collection because they are creating historical units. M:TW (where I guess you got the misconception of your warrior from) is not historical.

- NO two-handed swords around 1000
- Swiss mercenaries are early renaissance
- The russian medieval axeman looks... well russian.
etc

I believe the initial error is two consider these Swabian swordsman as a counterpart to the Swiss pikemen.
I think what you want is a Landknescht, who were German mercenaries.

This Zweihander would fit the bill

Sorry not mentioning where I got Swabians in the same periods as Normans in Italy. I was not sure either that´s why I asked around.
It was actually a BBC program called The Normans part 3 Normans of the South, where these things got mentions. So as I recall it must be around the time where the Normans established the Kingdom of Sicily. Please don´t slap my fingers if this also is all out of order ;(

However looking in the Osprey book Armies of the German Peasants' War 1524-26 I see that these Landsknechts fought in the Swabian War 1498-99 with or aganinst the Swiss Pikemen.

So as mentioned here it´s more like the Osprey is correct too putting this Swabian mercenary in as a Landsknecht.

Soooo sorry for making some folks very mad over this question. Not all that lurks around in this forum is 100% perfect with all statements concerning historical things.
It also goes that BBC can´t be trusted ;-)

Thanks Steph, the Zweihander probably will do very nice.

Top Bottom