Tactics and Strategy Turns 100-120

Kaleb

Deity
I played our turn in time. Moved the worker to road.
thanks for finishing the last turn, cav scout.

For turn 101:
We currently don't have enough gold to finish MC in 1 turn, we'd have to lower to below 70% which won't be enough.

However, Haz will be able to work a cottage again and we should get Currency from Cav which should just give us enough, but it will be very tight. It may come down to as fine a point as keeping units within our borders, so we should hold back on moving our new axe and chariot out of our borders until we see what our maintenance is vs gold remaining.

Hazrat-e > This is the turn we complete Great Library!! :goodjob:

I'd like us to get MC this turn so Haz can go straight into building a Forge/Trireme (what do people prefer?). FYI the worker by Haz must chop and Haz stops working that tile to work the cottage.

Aktau > whip worker for 2 pop. I've stopped the worker chopping, if we do the chop our overflow will be too big, won't it? This will turn :hammers: into :gold: (although we might want to do this if we don't have enough gold for GL.

Atyrau > finishes spy. I switched the fish to the mine last turn to get the Spy a turn sooner. After finishing the spy: carry on with Spear or start lighthouse?

Pavlodar > finished spear last turn. This spear should go to Haz? What does Pav build next? I'd rather wait to go back to the Settler until the city grows, or shall we just go straight into the Settler now?

Oskemen > grows. Started a catapult last turn. We can continue the catapult this turn and do a 1 pop whip after growing, or we can start an Archer (or another unit) for 1 turn, grow and then do a 2 pop whip on the Catapult.

Workers. The worker by Shymkent should stop the cottage and road, and then finish the cottage. Doing this will mean the Spy can use the road and get to the front quicker and we'll still have the cottage completed by the time the city grows and is ready to use the new tile.

The worker on the cow should road the FP 1SW. The new worker from Aktau can chop the forest by Shymkent next turn.

reagring tech, optimally we need to finish metal casting this turn, so check the micro to see if it possible and if yes do it.

Actau..of course finish the chop...there is not that much overflow from slaving as most of it goes towards current build.

Atyrau I suggest spear for 1 turn and when chop rewady switch to lighthouse

Pavlodar settler now, growing in 2 turns will not accelerate settler by 2 turns.

Oskemen 1 pop whip the catapult

worker at Shymkent should finish cottage IMO so he can get on with other things, the spy can use the Oskemen road through the cow, it will be the quicker to the front as we are roading that way..correct?

I think we should build a trireme before a forge. Finishing the chop sounds good, especially if the hammers to gold helps us get MC next turn.

I have been absent for some time and recently decided to look at the situation. I was interested to see that we are at war and that we have lost some Chariots. I was trying to work out what was going on from the forums and it was difficult so eventually I decided just to log in and take a look. You will see my name showing up in CivStats.

I have a few suggestions. First, as we are at a disadvantage in terms of production the majority of our manufacturing should be military. The capital, which is the source of a major part of our income and manufacturing must be defended at all costs. So, after building The Great Library a Trireme is a must. Also, it goes without saying that we need to defend our food supplies. Pavlodar should be building a Barracks. Aktau should be building a Chariot. The Spy followed by a Spearman in Atyrau is fine.

Second, regarding our units. We need to defend the Forrest and two Plains Hills to the E of the Syr Daryra River and establish a line that our enemy does not cross. This may not be easy so we need a proper army up there; i.e. Axeman, Spearman, Chariot and Catapult. The Warrior to the NW of Shymkent could move one tile to the N to have a good view down the Syr Darya Valley. Also, for good measure, the Warrior to the NW of Atyrau could return inside the borders.

Third, the next tech should be military. I would be inclined to go for Machinery. Crossbows would be nice!

Finally, I would make peace as soon as possible although not at all costs.. I note that SANCTA have war weariness so they might go for it. Needless to say, it would be to our advantage. We now know who our enemy is and can plan accordingly.

Welcome back - Bolkonski!

I agree that we should form a line that sancta does not cross - but I assume they will send in a spy 1st. Right now they would have to move units out of the forests and into grasslands in order to move south. Until they get reinforcements in the area they will not do this.

We should try to establish a beachhead on one of the forest/hills near Angle.

My thoughts for the turn:
Haz - Get the GL this turn, if we need to I would whip - but of course prefer not to. Then Trireme, then forge

Pav - spy we need at least 2 anyway to watch both the coast and around Angle.

Gold mine - still no workers going to the gold mine - I know we have other priorities but this is also crucial.

good to have you back Bolko :)

Actau..of course finish the chop...there is not that much overflow from slaving as most of it goes towards current build.
there's already a fair bit into the worker as there was overflow from the chariot.

I can't remember, what's the max overflow?

After whipping the worker in Aktau we could build another ship?

As for SANCTA's spy - getting a city in the valley will give us a chance to block out their spy as we have superior ESP

Just a thought but we can move the lookout warrior on the coast back into our borders in order to save a few gold. This is useful if we move the axe out of our border which I think we should.

Since Aktau has a barracks I think that we should focus on units. We want a ship but Haz will get one soon enough.

Btw I did another check - we'll get MC no problem this turn.

Regarding overflow. It is maxed to the value of current build...so worker is 60 hammers...if after slaving for 2 pop and chopping the hammers produced are more than 120 then we will lose everything above 120. If excactly 120 then 60 hammers will go to overflow of next item we build.

If that next item is again a worker that means we will be building a second worker in 1 turn....so check that Kaleb..if more than 120 don't chop or else chop.

P.S good to see you back Bolkonski.

I thought about the overflow for a bit and I think it should go to forge. Forge enhances slaving and will give some hapiness to actau...what do you say?

we will get tririmes from capital...but if you feel insecure we can do forge for 1 turn so that it gets the overflow then swicth to tririme and whip it for 2pop and then finish forge.

It will be 17 current + 14 from surplus and hammers + 30 from chop + 60 from whip = 122 :hammers:

So perhaps rather than working the plains forest we should just work a coastal tile.

Forge is a good idea but after this phase of whipping are we going to be operating with many :hammers:?

It will be 17 current + 14 from surplus and hammers + 30 from chop + 60 from whip = 122 :hammers:

So perhaps rather than working the plains forest we should just work a coastal tile.

Forge is a good idea but after this phase of whipping are we going to be operating with many :hammers:?

Working coastal is a good idea.

Forge gives bonus to whipping as well...so with forge a whip is 37 hammers instead of 30 ;)

Also we will get the organized bonus in those hammers if we do forge..so 75 hammers will go into the forge.

I would produce a Trireme and get it NE of the warrior on the hill to the NE of the capital asap to be safe.

The real danger would be having an army land in that forest to the NE of the capital. If I were SANCTA, I would be producing a spy and put it in Hazrat-e. Seeing it relatively undefended I would try to draw off our troops to the NW and attack our capital by the coastal route. That would be well nigh impossible with a Trireme in place.

I would produce a Trireme and get it NE of the warrior on the hill to the NE of the capital asap to be safe.

The real danger would be having an army land in that forest to the NE of the capital. If I were SANCTA, I would be producing a spy and put it in Hazrat-e. Seeing it relatively undefended I would try to draw off our troops to the NW and attack our capital by the coastal route. That would be well nigh impossible with a Trireme in place.

The forest has been chopped, there is no more forest around capital.

Even in the extreme case that Sancta have 4 units in 2 galleys we will have 2 turns notice, that is why we put the warrior there. Capital can build 1 turn archers now...so even if worst comes to worst we will have 3 archers a spear and a warrior in capital plus a chariot that we will bring back.

There is no chance they are taking our capital. I understand you want safety first, but we are have to play a bit on the edge if we want to stay in contention of this game.

Also not following the spy comment? They need a galley to bring a spy to our capital, not to mention the fact that hey have only recently teched Alphabet.

The forest has been chopped, there is no more forest around capital.

Even in the extreme case that Sancta have 4 units in 2 galleys we will have 2 turns notice, that is why we put the warrior there. Capital can build 1 turn archers now...so even if worst comes to worst we will have 3 archers a spear and a warrior in capital plus a chariot that we will bring back.

There is no chance they are taking our capital. I understand you want safety first, but we are have to play a bit on the edge if we want to stay in contention of this game.

Also not following the spy comment? They need a galley to bring a spy to our capital, not to mention the fact that hey have only recently teched Alphabet.

Having been away from things for a while I am not quite up to speed yet but I think you are almost certainly correct in your assessment. It is highly unlikely Sancta would be able to take Hazrat-e. I did not realise that they only recently teched Alphabet and so the spy is less of an issue as it will take a long time for one to come round the land route. The clam do need defending though.

Do we want them to be able to see our Trireme?

That way they may get nervous and pull units to the coast in order to defend from a naval attack.

Or we may want to hold back and surprise them later.

I think we hold back until we have a spy in the area and then we can asses what to do.

I vote for the forge. We can switch to a trireme the turn after if needed... Forge now seems to be the most hammer efficient path.

Top Bottom