Teaching a Friend

Creatureboy11

A Civ4 Leader
(Not sure if there is a forum for this.) So, I got my girlfriend to install Civ4 on her computer, and I want to help her out (playing the complex game). I have some questions about how I should help her out.

1. Should I introduce her to this forum?
2. Should I teach her orally or hands-on
3. If I teach her hands-on, should it be on Single Player or Multi-Player?

Thanks.

First of all good for you and your girlfriend.

1)I think it's better if she gets some basics down first before you introduce her to the forums, the forums can be a bit daunting and complicated, so it would be better if she understood what we were talking about when trying to help her out.

2) Teach her as much hands off as you can, you playing the game for her will actually slow her down in that she will try to play as you instead of actually learning what to do.

Teach her abour choice, should she build that warrior or another worker.

About rewards, if she were to learn this teach it might help a lot because she will be able to trade it for multiple techs

And about consequence , while those gems are very nice, is it really worth settling that right now and having to teach iron working earlier.

3) I would say to teach her in multi, set up a game where you both are on the same team and you take care of "defence" for her, you could also do it where your not on a team that way the AI's would be more willing to attack her if she lacks military, but you still defend her enough to not let her get taken out too easily.It would be perfect if you had 2 pc's in the same room that way you could watch whats going on and guide her around and discuss tactics.

I play Civ4 with my girlfriend. We always play multiplayer games, just us two and 5 AIs, and we play nice (ie. we only fight with the AI, but we aren't allies). I play on deity and she plays on prince. (because we are on different difficulty levels, the AI isn't a deity AI, so it isn't that bad.)

She has no interest in single player, and she doesn't usually play to win – she's happy enough to just build up a decent civilization without aiming at a particular victory condition.

I personally like to learn games by playing on my own, but I know some people don't really have the motivation or interest to learn complex games in that way. So I suggest that you ask your girlfriend how she would prefer to learn the game, and if she doesn't really have a preference, then I suggest you play like I do – friendly multiplayer.

Also, I suggest that you try not to overwhelm her by talking about advanced strategies and techniques. Just tell her the very basics, and tell her that you'll give advice if she wants it, and then let her just play her own way.

[edit]
If you do play multiplayer I suggest that you don't be permanent allies at the start. Allies share research and diplomacy, and I think she should be in charge of all of that stuff while she learns. So I think it's better if you play as independent civs. If you need to, you can gift her military units and tech if she looks like she's really in trouble.

Hmm... hands on or oral. Always a tricky choice.

EDIT: But seriously, the best way to explain Civ to a girl is to make connections with things she will understand, such as -

1) There's a cow resource. Cows are covered in leather - a vital ingredient of handbags and shoes
2) Teching the wheel enables your guys to get to the shoe shop twice as fast, once you build roads
3) Engineering enables even better quality shoes which makes road movement even faster

etc.

Hmm... hands on or oral. Always a tricky choice.

EDIT: But seriously, the best way to explain Civ to a girl is to make connections with things she will understand, such as -

1) There's a cow resource. Cows are covered in leather - a vital ingredient of handbags and shoes
2) Teching the wheel enables your guys to get to the shoe shop twice as fast, once you build roads
3) Engineering enables even better quality shoes which makes road movement even faster

etc.
;| Kinda sexist, but that is still funny. :crazyeye:

Lemon Merchant has about 10 million pairs of shoes! I'm safe!

EDIT: Can't find the consolevania clip on youtube where they ask a guy in the street to compare his girlfriend to a computer game. It starts out nice enough, saying she has good graphics, etc., but then they ask "would your girlfriend be a multi player game?"

2. Should I teach her orally or hands-on

You should both just relax and not feel pressured. Just do what comes naturally and it should all be fine. As long as you show respect and consideration it should all go well.

I think we've veered slightly from the intent of the OP.

Opening post/original poster.

You probably need to work on your jaw endurance if you go the oral route anyway.

Opening post/original poster.

You probably need to work on your jaw endurance if you go the oral route anyway.
<offtopic>I (and my ex-crush) talk non-stop about things we like. :p</offtopic>

If CB wasn't 12 years old I'd have some doubts about the context of the OP. On the other hand, who knows what a 12 year old thinks about these days. :)

Would it be particularly crass and inappropriate to allude at this point to the uses for practice of the banana resource?

Would it be particularly crass and inappropriate to allude at this point to the uses for practice of the banana resource?
Yes, but don't let that stop you. :popcorn:

Trade it for beavers?

Tell her that if she mines the gold or silver resource, she can make her own f****** jewelry, and therefore give your wallet a break.

Why asterisk out the word fashion?

ZOMG, you guys... I'm subscribed. :popcorn:

Please get on-topic, plz! Don't make Julius and ______ (Hoping Cathy) come down and smash you with their Praets and _______ (hopefully Cossacks)

Top Bottom