Team CFC: Folding@Home project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly unrelated, but since I said earlier that I got a case from a CM sale: it came today. Somewhy, there was a a sleeve for a 7" EeePC inside...and its worth 20$..

The 9800GT's should be here end of next week, if dell manages to actually ship them on monday.

I hope the video cards fit in the case. I remember having an "uh-oh" period before I was able to cram the thing in.

the video cards are going in another pc. I just got the case because it was such a good deal, one I wasnt likely to see for a long time to come. 23$ for a Midtower, and its from CoolerMaster, so not some completely unknown brand. It was a refurb and I noticed some dings on it, but the paint job is fine, none of the dings are in any way ******ing the functionality of the case. Plus I somehow got the EeePC sleeve, which Im probly gonna sell or give away.
The cards themselves are going in my Antec 1200 which, if it has room to spare with a GTX 260, will do fine with a 9800GT. Ive been meaning to get some use out of my 780i motherboard. I mean, what did I pay 220$ for it for?
EDIT -- Well, as I expected, but was hoping would not happen, Dell decided to not ship them out today. Now I am due to get the two 9800GT's on June 19th. If they dont arrive by then, I guess Ill call them up and have them cancel the order.

Is there a way to translate the numbers shown when you hover over the taskbar icon into a number of points?

Is there a way to translate the numbers shown when you hover over the taskbar icon into a number of points?

Not directly, I don't think - you could run fahmon, which does show you points (and ETA, download time, etc).

Is that part of the standard install package or do I have to go get it?

Thats showing the iterations completed, out of the total, in thousands ( think its thousands, might be more)
If you know how many iterations a certain WU is, then yes, you can, but FahMon, as pointed out earlier, is much easier.

I finally acquired a 9800GX2 video card very inexpensively. Plugged it in, spooled it up, and... it is folding, but one of its two cores is only folding at about 2/3 speed, and two of the three remaining 9600GSO cards are only folding at 2/3 speed as well, resulting in hardly any total folding improvement. Initial theories are that either I don't have enough system memory to match the video card onboard RAM (2GB system, and 384x3 + 1GB = slightly over 2GB for the video cards), or it's a squirrelly issue with mixing video cards running different numbers of shaders on the same motherboard. :(

So... Anyone want to buy four identical 9600GSO or perhaps a 9800GX2 video card cheap? :mischief: I'm not looking to create a second caseless dedicated folding machine, and if I can't mix the cards either one flavor or the other will have to go.

I've read (can't recall where), that it's the different shader numbers that cause the slowdown.

I finally acquired a 9800GX2 video card very inexpensively. Plugged it in, spooled it up, and... it is folding, but one of its two cores is only folding at about 2/3 speed, and two of the three remaining 9600GSO cards are only folding at 2/3 speed as well, resulting in hardly any total folding improvement. Initial theories are that either I don't have enough system memory to match the video card onboard RAM (2GB system, and 384x3 + 1GB = slightly over 2GB for the video cards), or it's a squirrelly issue with mixing video cards running different numbers of shaders on the same motherboard. :(

So... Anyone want to buy four identical 9600GSO or perhaps a 9800GX2 video card cheap? :mischief: I'm not looking to create a second caseless dedicated folding machine, and if I can't mix the cards either one flavor or the other will have to go.

Different shader numbers are your problem. The faster card gets a decrease in speed when you mix it with cards that have less shaders.

How much you want for the GSO's? Ive got two 9800GT's supposedly coming next week, according to the galaxy rep on HardOCP, but if I can get a good deal ont he 9600's, ill take them off your hands.
Or, the GX2, if you want >.>

Different shader numbers are your problem. The faster card gets a decrease in speed when you mix it with cards that have less shaders.

How much you want for the GSO's? Ive got two 9800GT's supposedly coming next week, according to the galaxy rep on HardOCP, but if I can get a good deal ont he 9600's, ill take them off your hands.
Or, the GX2, if you want >.>

PM sent... :deal:

Wanting suggestions for next threads OP please :D

Wanting suggestions for next threads OP please :D

Join Team CFC - We're looking for a few good folders.

or

Join Team CFC - We're looking for a few good computers.

Join Team CFC -- So easy a baby can do it.
---------
My 9800gt's have finally been shipped by dell, should be here within a week.

I just signed up, since this is my non-gaming machine (my gaming has no internet) I set the affinity to realtime, will that speed it up drastically?
EDIT:w00t post #999

Most likely not. The cores are already about as efficient at threading as they can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom