Team Name

Domino369

Warlord
Let's create a name, as the title states lol.

My first suggestion is Crimson Twilight but I'm welcome to hear your suggestions.

I've enjoyed the names that have a theme to them. For instance, in the civ3 mtdg2, I'm on The Council. our citizens are all Councillors, and the land is Well-Planned.

It's nice when you can get a whole united theme going. :yup:

Some themes:

Disease - cities can be named for certain plagues, like Ebola, or Bird Flu, and the units could be named for certain microbes.

Historical - We can choose to name ourselves after a real, historical, entity; adopting place-names and such that are consistent. For instance, The Icelanders (did you guys know that they had an established settlement in Greenland for as long as Europeans have been in the Americas? That always amazes me!)

Sci-Fi - names and such are taken from an author's creation, say, Tolkien. Personally I'm not a fan of this. I find it more rewarding to come up with something ourselves ;)

Again, I'm just throwing this out here to help the discussion along.

Americanese =D (joking lol....or maybe not =O)

I'd say something to do with where we are located on the map. Hell, I'd love to roll play this lol.

I'd suggest something CivIV related.

I think, whatever we do, it shouldn't be that cheesy. I just hate looking back at the old games and seeing ridiculous names for civilizations.

Historical - We can choose to name ourselves after a real, historical, entity; adopting place-names and such that are consistent...
Sci-Fi - names and such are taken from an author's creation, say, Tolkien. Personally I'm not a fan of this. I find it more rewarding to come up with something ourselves ;)
Those theme ideas may be worth something. I personally wouldn't mind being one of the human Empires from LotR, they have cool names, a good history, and a lot for us to reference to. However, I would oppose to being something like the elves or orcs simply because they have no place in this civilization game...

I'd say something to do with where we are located on the map. Hell, I'd love to roll play this lol.
If we could do this, and I assume we can (seeing as we can change Civilization names mid-game), it would be pretty cool. However, what kind of things would we come up with? If we start in the woods we are "The Woodsman Tribe" or something like that? I don't know, its kinda cool so long as we would evolve based as our civilization changes.

Ha ha! As loathsome a policy it is, it's not a bad Team name at all! I kind of like the sense of impending doom :run:

Just to insert a little Adlai Stevenson into the discussion, the name could give off the implication that our team has a crusading, militaristic attitude.

Actually, I think we should decide this based upon what leader choice we come up with. Makes sense no?

I disagree - we won't find out what leader we get for at least a week, and there's no reason we should limit our Team Identity to the leader we wind up with.

We're putting together a list of our top 3 choices of what leader we'd like to be. We post this list as our 'Official Choice', and then Sullla will assign one to us when he makes the map. We'll get our top choice as long as no other team also wants to be that leader as well, in which case the tie will be decided by an Act of Sullla [read: coin toss], and the loser will be assigned their second choice. That's how it was done for the last 2 MTDGs, and it worked pretty well. I believe every team has gotten their first choice, but I could be wrong about that - it's been over a year since the last one started :lol:

I see lol.
So far, the only suggestion that has had more than one agreement (other than the voter lol) is Manifest Destiny
I don't see anything wrong with it other than what Unionfield had stated earlier.

For instance, The Icelanders (did you guys know that they had an established settlement in Greenland for as long as Europeans have been in the Americas? That always amazes me!)
Going off topic a bit, but can't help myself... ;)

I spent a year on Iceland -- and it amazed me how green it was. They settled Iceland first, and the name scared off a bunch of potential settlers even though it was a nice place in the summer. So they named the other land mass Greenland to try to get more people to go there. Don't know if the trick worked and they froze to death, or if they were smart enought to say nice try but further north has to be colder. :lol:

On-topic, Innovia in the MTDG2 used city names based on inventions, at least for a while. Loco as a team name didn't make much sense to me as an outsider until we could see their cities were named after train related things. Then it became clear it was locomotive and not loco = crazy. :lol:

I'd like a theme of some kind, but sadly have nothing to offer just yet. Other than perhaps to use a little disinformation such as choosing a peaceful sounding name if we plan to be warmongers, or a warlike name for a builder civ, or sound organized when we plan to be fun loving, etc.

Here's what we need to decide:

Team Name: [Isis]
Leader: [Bigfoot]
Civ Description: [Holliatarian Empire]
Short Description: [Holliataria]
Civ Adjective: [Holliatarian]

So I'd be Bigfoot, leader of the Holliatarian Empire. My fellow Holliatarian citizens and I are proud members of Holliataria.

That's an example to help us understand how the different fields are used.
I'm fine with (or perhaps Followers of Isis, or something like that), plus, there's always the Institute for Science and International Security

Imagine that - a team setting themselves up as the de facto enforces of International security :lol:

Okay, building off of ISIS (the god, since nobody seemed to like my institutional slant :D), let's see what we can do here.

-friend of slaves, sinners, artisans, the downtrodden
-the goddess of simplicity, from whom all beginnings arose,
- the Lady of bread, of beer, and of green fields
-a symbol of Isis was the tiet or Knot of Isis

Team name: Isis
Leader: High Priest of Isis
Civ Description: Cult of Isis
Short Description: Isis' Shrine
Civ Adjective: Followers of Isis

So I'd be Bigfoot, leader of the Holliatarian Empire. My fellow Holliatarian citizens and I are proud members of Holliataria.

So I'd be High Priest of Isis, leader of the Cult of Isis. My fellow Followers of Isis and I are proud members of Isis' Shrine

:hmm: Not my best work ever, but it's a start :lol:

And for my own enjoyment, running with the Institutional interpretation:
Team name: ISIS
Leader: Senior Analyst
Civ Description: Institute for Science and International Security
Short Description: ISIS
Civ Adjective: Analysts

Top Bottom