Team SABER

Proposed (updated) letter:

Well met, SABER!

It's been a while since our last letter, so the FREEthinkers over here asked me to write to you again. We've been wondering about how you view the BABE-Council war since that seems to be all the big news lately!

We're also curious about your goals for the future. Maybe both our goals could align via trade -- perhaps we could share information?

Also, our galley Teal Torpedo has sighted your northern borders. May we move within your culture borders in order to skirt your coast? Rest assured, Teal Torpedo carries no military forces; she's purely an explorer.

We look forward to many long years of peace.

Elephantium of Team FREE

Sounds good to me; let's send it.

Sent to SABER:

Well met, SABER!

It's been a while since our last letter, so the FREEthinkers over here asked me to write to you again. We've been wondering about how you view the BABE-Council war since that seems to be all the big news lately!

We're also curious about your goals for the future. Maybe both our goals could align via trade -- perhaps we could share information?

Also, our galley Teal Torpedo has sighted your northern borders. May we move within your culture borders in order to skirt your coast? Rest assured, Teal Torpedo carries no military forces; she's purely an explorer.

Elephantium of Team FREE

Just received from Saber, after their Turn 143 and after our Turn 143:
Team Saber said:
Dear Elephantium, dear Team FREE,

It's good to hear from you again. The Council-Babe war is indeed what is covering the news in Saberish lands. Having been under a Babe-threat before, our sympathy lies with the council. In our opinion, team Babe is a threat to world safety. By the way, your Teal Torpedo is free to move around our coasts, so it can keep exploring this wonderful world of Meleet.

You mentioned trading, we are very interested in trading with you. We don't have any techs to offer you at the moment, but we are interested in buying techs, if that's possible. We could also be interested in other trades, when they're possible.

Hopefully we will be able to talk more in the future. What's your favourite way of conducting diplomacy, through e-mail or through chats? Our team can work either way.

Yours,
Team Saber

Proposed response:

Dear Team SABER:

Thanks for getting back to us regarding Teal Torpedo. We appreciate your gracious attitude towards our explorers.

We are definitely interested in trading with you. Once ocean trade is available, a luxury swap would certainly be mutually beneficial. In the meantime, what did you have in mind with respect to technologies?

Personally, I favor diplomacy via email; my schedule makes my availability for chats spotty at best.

Elephantium of Team FREE

Looks good.

I, too, favor e-mail diplomacy. AIM and such is fine for chit-chat or talking to my son, where the cost of misunderstanding is rather low. Even just mindless banter with other teams is valid. But to communicate anything of substance I'd rather go by email.

Email also lets us get team consensus on a proposal before mentioning it to the other teams - a definite plus for formal inter-team agreements.

Sent to SABER:

Dear Team SABER:

Thanks for getting back to us regarding Teal Torpedo. We appreciate your gracious attitude towards our explorers.

We are definitely interested in trading with you. Once ocean trade is available, a luxury swap would certainly be mutually beneficial. In the meantime, what did you have in mind with respect to technologies?

Personally, I favor diplomacy via email; my schedule makes my availability for chats spotty at best.

Elephantium of Team FREE

PS I apologize for the delay in sending this; my other duties have severely curtailed my ambassadorial efforts of late.

Just received from Team Saber, during their Turn 147 (they hold the game at this time)
Saber said:
Dear Team Free,

Our people are already looking forward to receiving luxurious goods from other parts of the world. Hopefully we can establish intercontinental trade routes as soon as possible.

We are also interested in buying technologies. We are basically interested in any Middle Age technology we're missing. By any chance, could you give us a price for these techs?

In other news, our diplomats are anxiously awaiting news on a possible resignation of team Babe. What your teams opinion on this issue?

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Yours,
dutchfire
Team Saber

Under the MAAP II, we must secure the consent of the Council for any tech trades...does that provision apply once we've traded our IA techs?

It would be nice if we could get Saber to fund our unit upgrades to take out Gong. :evil:

We could present it to The Council that way; they might be agreeable to allow such a trade.

From SABER:

Dear Team Free,

Team Saber has been looking for a way to bring more balance to this world of ours and were wondering if you had any good ideas.
We have definitely shifted our focus to Theory of Gravity, and are now interested in knowing if your great citizens would be willing to share this knowledge with us. Might you be able to send a return message with your completion turn and selling price?

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Team Saber

Proposed reply:

Dear SABER:

We just learned Theory of Gravity on turn 150, actually. As for trading this knowledge, my fellow FREEthinkers and I are discussing a fair price. Did you have anything in mind?

Regards,

Elephantium of team FREE

Err, can't they just look at the trading screen to see that we already know the tech?
From the trade screen, they could see how their techs matched to ours. If Saber knew Chivalry and we did not then Chivarly would show up on their trade screen. Since we know Magnetism and Theory of Gravity, and Saber does not, we see Mag and ToG on our portion of the trade screen when we open Saber's trade screen.

So, Saber would know what they could trade us, but not what we could trade them.

Unlike a solo game, we won't be able to see the other trade screen.

Maybe something like this:

Dear SABER,

As you can see we have advanced to the Industrial Ages. We would be happy to trade theory of gravity. How about ??? gold or knowledge of Medicine, if you happen to receive that tech upon entering the IA.

Also, how would you feel about a luxury trade? On our continent, we have Gems and spices.

Team FREE

We would need to come up with some number X.

I noticed SABER has extra luxure. How about we swap luxures with team SABER?

Top Bottom