Technology

Gvok

Chieftain
I have a hard time keeping up with the AIs in technology development. Is there anything I can do besides building libraries and trading technologies?

It depends on the difficulty level. As the level gets higher, the cost of research for the AI reduces, so it's usually cheaper to buy than to ersearch. Above Emperor you will probably do better by not self-researching, just rely on trading and/or peace nogotiations, at least until you can get on even terms. Below Monarch you may be able to keep up by self-researching. In the middle, some combination is usually used.

Either way, you want gold, and so the first requirement is to exploit river tiles, and to build roads. Most beginners underestimate the value of workers to improve the land, and build cities too far apart to exploit the territory they have. Don't build every improvement without considering its benefits and impacts. You will have to decide whether to use Libraries to enhance self-research, or markets to increase cash for trading. The same options are then available later, with Banks or Universities. Buildings cost you maintenance. Make sure they pay for themselves.

'Slingshots' are good. In C3C, if you can reach Philosophy first you get a free tech. Typically this is used to get Republic or Monarchy, which give two benefits - they improve your economy, if your infrastructure is set up, and they are good trading techs as the AI values them highly. Later on there are two freebies with Theory of Evolution, usually used to catapult you away from the AI in the Industrial era.

You can also take advantage of the Scientific trait. If you have it yourself then you get a free tech at each era change. If other civs have it then you may be able to take advantage of their free techs in trade or peace negotiations.

If you join a succession game you can get a lot of fast-track training by playing among more experienced players. Or read the spoiler posts in the GOTM threads to learn the techniques.

Either way, you want gold, and so the first requirement is to exploit river tiles, and to build roads. Most beginners underestimate the value of workers to improve the land, and build cities too far apart to exploit the territory they have.

I have each city create their own worker. Just one. Personally I think it has worked out rather well. What do you think Alan? More workers? Less?

Last question. You mention cities being placed too far apart by beginners. I've been playing Civ 3 for several years and I always thought the further apart the better as it would allow each city plenty of room to grow. So I ask you, how far is too far and how close is close enough?

One worker per city is good when you are industrious, with double rate workers. I'd go for about 1.5 per city with a non-industrious civ. There was a good rule of thumb suggested by one eminent GOTM player - If any city is working an unimproved tile then build another worker as soon as possible.

I always thought the further apart the better as it would allow each city plenty of room to grow. So I ask you, how far is too far and how close is close enough?
How far does a city need to grow?

If it is on fresh water then it can get to size 12 ... if you have enough luxuries and/or other happy pills to support that number. If it isn't on a river or lake then it's stuck at size 6 until you can build an aqueduct. After that it will not grow bigger until you can build hospitals, which is well into the Industrial era. Since I try to play for a dominant world position by the Industrial era I initially build for the 6 to 12 size range.

That means you can put cities three or four tiles apart in the ancient/medieval eras. At three tiles apart you can usually share defence/mil.police units between cities very efficiently, as they can move between cities in one turn, rivers permitting. Putting cities at this distance means your settlers don't have to travel to far before settling them, your workers don't have to build so many roads to connect them, and you don't have to build temples to grow their borders to join up.

If you want to give them more room to grow later you can disband one or two then, but usually that isn't necessary in the primary core. Empire growth in the late medieval and industrial is normally by conquest. You inherit lots of cities that the AI has build further apart during this period, and you should consider moving your palace to take advantage of this build pattern later on, p'raps leaving a Forbidden Palace in the old core.

in the industrial ge it wont let my romans and greeks make hospitals why? that just makes studying sanitaion worthless(kinda):p

You should be able to build hospitals once you have sanitation, unless you are playing a modded game. Post a save that demonstrates this if you want to investigate it.

GVOK,

Recommend you read the articles in the War Academy and in the Strategy & Tips forum.

For example setting up a 'settler farm' town can equally give you workers fast while resource rich towns focus on growing and building improvements.

Agree with AlanH that even close (3 tile) cities rarely block each other (unless there are local terrain limits like mountains) until you get above size 12 (industrial age & later). Note the exception is when you want to push your borders towards a local Civ to block their expansion - with later backfill

Top Bottom