Tectonic Map...other

EustaceMonk

Chieftain
I like how tectonic maps allow for a "real" earth type feel, but the terrain is terrible! So many plains! Is there a better version of this map script around somewhere?

And, no, I don't want a real earth map that never changes.

Use the 'Wet' option... but even there it's pretty sad :)

There are a few scripts in Customization subforum that try to generate "earth-like" realism, I'd suggest taking a look.

Tectonics have given me some absolutely horrible starts. Seems like 75% of the time I either get crammed into a tiny continent with 3 or 4 other civs or dropped onto the largest landmass on the planet with only 1 other civ. Having nearby civs isn't by itself a bad thing, I regard them as sources for unit XP and Great General points. What makes me rage is finishing researching Animal Husbandry and Iron Working and noticing the only sources of Horses, Copper and Iron are in the AI's capitol city BFC's. Tectonics has done this to me many times.

Check out the "planet generator" script. It's pretty flexible, and you can get pretty "earthy" feeling maps with it.

alternatively try the 70% water option. The way the script works is that the farther from ocean you are the more plains there are. Thus most 70% water maps actually have less plains than other scripts (sometimes you get a pangea type and then you still get lots of plains). The real problem is that because its more realistic when you get a big landmass all the plains will be grouped, this is guaranteed to happen a lot on 60% water.

Top Bottom