Tell me about your Country

Originally posted by MrPresident
Another way of saying anyone could kick our ass.

That would be true, if only anyone knew where New Zealand is.

Things I like about Sweden:

The summer. Nothing in the world compares to the Swedish summer, both the weather and the effect it has on people here. This is a country where people spend 6 months of the year locked up in their cottages, complaining about the weather. When they finally see the sun again, they go crazy! :D

The women. This is really the only area where we're way ahead of any international competition. I have been to most western european countries and to the U.S., and I must say that none of them even compare to us. Well, perhaps Spain, but no-one else
:cool:

The people. Very friendly people, once you get to know them (can take a few years :) ) A foreign exchange student at my university said that she found the Swedes "reserved but kind," and I think this is a very fitting description.

Things I don't like about Sweden:

The people. Well, what can I say, sometimes I just want to move as far away from here as possible, especially during the winter. Sometimes it feels as if we're a nation of androids, all walking around minding our own business, and never communicateing with anyone unless we've known them for a few years. It can look really comical when you see 20 Swedes on the same bus, all pretending they don't see anyone else. One thing I loved when I lived in Ameridca was that people you'd never met started talking to you right out of the blue. This never happens in Sweden. Never.

Jantelagen (the Jante Law). You cannot understand Swedish culture without understanding the importance of Jantelagen. Jantelagen is an unwritten set of "laws" that people generally live by around here. It goes like this:

You shall not think that you are special
You shall not think that you are of the same standing as us
You shall not think that you are smarter than us
Don't fancy yourself as being better than us
You shall not think that you know more than us
You shall not think that you are more important than us
You shall not think that you are good at anything
You shall not laugh at us
You shall not think that anyone cares about you
You shall not think that you can teach us anything

Jantelagen is declared dead every now and again, just to be found alive and flourishing shortly afterwards.

Very friendly people
Every single country in the world reportely has very friendly people but that surely can't be the case. Someone has to be lying.
It can look really comical when you see 20 Swedes on the same bus, all pretending they don't see anyone else.
It's even funnier on the underground where you have people packed in like sardines but still pretending not to see anyone else.

i wouldnt say that i love scotland. When i come to think of it there is nothing particularly good about living in scotland.
Hates:
It is FREEZING, although it is not the right temperature to snow :(
It is almost always raining :(
Things are quite expensive compared to other places.
There is ALOT of racial/sectarian prejudice.

After saying this, i cant say that i would want to move away anywhere else - except "maybe" Canada - went on holdiday there once and i LOVED it :)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It can look really comical when you see 20 Swedes on the same bus, all pretending they don't see anyone else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's even funnier on the underground where you have people packed in like sardines but still pretending not to see anyone else.

I have go through such comedy every day (but in a bus).

Originally posted by Lord_Vetinari

Jantelagen is declared dead every now and again, just to be found alive and flourishing shortly afterwards.

The jante law is dominant in norway too.. Sadly.. :(

Originally posted by MrPresident

Another way of saying anyone could kick our ass.

We have been nuke free for a while and no one has kicked our arss.
I think we are the best in the world at rugby, but aussies has the cup, but we are better at rugby then britain is at soccer.
New Zealand is called middle earth because that is where the movies were made.

The women. This is really the only area where we're way ahead of any international competition.

I have been to Sweden in the Summertime (only briefly) and while i can say yes you do have beautiful women, most wouldn't hold a candle to the girls down the east coast of Australia. I know i'm being bias, and you do have a few absolute stunnas, for overall quality and 3-1 type ratios... Sydney, Surfers Paradise, Newcastle... can't be beaten. Kelly Slater even said so (he would know!) and he hates complimenting Australians! And they love you Swedish blokes too... heaps of blonde girls here and not many blonde guys, so get over here!

Originally posted by Randy_Campbell
I think we are the best in the world at rugby, but aussies have the cup.

:)

You have good club sides, but your national team is just Wallaby fodder...

I must say that of all the places i've been, New Zealand eclipses all. Absolutely stunning scenery, friendly people, thick culture, dirt cheap beer, great surf, awesome lakes (mad wakeboarders!) and a dillion sheep. And if you can't get laid there, you're made out of wood!

New Zealand...

[BOLD]Positives:[/BOLD]

1. Just live here for a few years and then you'll know why.

2. I love the place, the people and especially the land, but i guess thats just the same as any country, you grow up with land you love.

3. Kiwi ingenuity - our give it a go attitude

4. Our policy over the years of of taking a (good or bad) stand on various international issues in contrast to certain world powers views.

5. For such a small nation, we have a lot of credit for political, sporting, scientific and cultural firsts etc. to our name.

[BOLD]Negatives:[/BOLD]

1. We seem to have a 'tall poppy' syndrome. As in, if someone is seriously doing well for themselves, we tend to knock them.

2. Despite our very multi cultural nation, like any other country we have a section of the population that still hold onto traditional racist and bigoted views.

To Mr. President, youre right at the moment, i think the best rugby team in the World isn't NZ... its a tie between New Zealand and Australia :lol: .

You weren't seriously contemplating saying England were you? ;)

I thought it was common knowledge Middle Earth was New Zealand? There are parts of New Zealand very similar to the British countryside. The early settlers did want to create the 'New and better England' here. Fortunately they didn't prevail, and New Zealand became it's own country

They outlawed that in my state two years ago. One girl died when she fell off an 8 foot Big Red...

You were serious about riding kangaroos? When you first posted that I assumed that you were joking.

Originally posted by Maj
Oh, and I'm a big fan of our Senators; a brilliant body of skilled professionals working hard under a stern, but brilliant leadership. Their performance and ability, when measured against that of similar organisations, is #1 worldwide.

They stand atop the Maple Leaf with pride and confidence. ;)

Those two last paragraphs will probably make sense to a whole 2 of you. :)

I'm one of them...

I am always amazed to see how often those Senators are swept away, almost makes one choke. ;)

Originally posted by GerrardCapashen
You were serious about riding kangaroos? When you first posted that I assumed that you were joking.

It's more a regional thing. People in Sydney, for instance, probably don't ever do it, but it happens quite a bit, but it's mainly kids. I've seen adults that get right into it though

Top Bottom