Temple of Artimes - City-wide or Civ-wide?

stebbinsd

Chieftain
The Temple of Artimes purports to double my trade route yield.

Which cities trade routes get doubled? Just the city the Temple is in, or every city in my civ?

It's just that one city. The city gets +100% for its trade routes iirc, so doubling it isn't quite accurate (there are other multipliers in play too), but it's a solid boost. It's the reason why sending a Great Merchant to the Temple or Artemis city is best, because you get more :gold: that way. Of course, that can only be done if the wonder is in a foreign civilization.

The Temple of Artimes purports to double my trade route yield.

Which cities trade routes get doubled? Just the city the Temple is in, or every city in my civ?

Just the city the Temple is in. Otherwise it would be a bit too powerful.
As it stands it is kinda bad, generally not worth the hammers. I suppose some sort of coastal souped up capital with also the great lighthouse and currency could make it ok.

@ ConfusedCounsel:

Good to think of everything situational, but the ToA is really just plain bad, because of the GM-mechanic Pangaea talked of. It's just a very expensive wonder that has only little power, pollutes the GP-pool with even 2 different sorts of :gp: , and the player benefits more from the AI having it than if having it onesself. If ever an exception, than maybe if playing on very very very low difficulty, because if the AI is not able to build it and when founding a religion is necessary because AI would spread it so late, because it's so weak, that self-founding is better, then the ToA would be a chance for :gold: , either via a Shrine or via a TM. On those settings, it's a question whether a Shrine would be that much more powerful, that one would only build Oracle + SH in one city, or if the Trade Mission is an alternative, so maybe Large+ map on Warlord or below.

To its owner city only. And most likely it will change 1->2; 2->3; 3 to 4; and 4 to 6 commerce.
Why its bad wonder to build: if some far away AI builds it, it can literally pay back all mid-late game war time.. On Huge/Mara speed map 8000+ gold is possible (if AI got biiig ToA city and far far away).
It comes early and compete with Oracle.
With tech trading ON it decrease chance of getting GScientists (and tech trading is based on these guys more or less).

When I see its good. Well, 1st Huge maps/(Mara speed) + no-tech trading or with isolated/semi-isolated starts on atleast multiple continents so game will last until industrial era for sure. To get any profit from this wonder, player must build GLH too (2 commerce trade routes will turn into 3 commerce trade routes). It also increase value of Harbor (turns into 4 commerce/trade route), Currency now is early priority. And also Bureu now is even more nice (4x4 + 50% = 24 commerce from trade routes without any AI trade route included), Because it gives high chance or GM (GLH + ToA), bulbing Currency and MCasting is possible here. Also is possible to bulb Theology if get GPriest.. This all leads to early Optics and Paper (explore map, get +1 movement bonus, trade map, fund research for Astro, break out with Maces...).
Summary - very situational wonder when have some specific map type/game settings and should 1st get GLH to consider building it at all.

ToA cheese with Hannibal for the win!
Very gimmicky though and not very reliable (as it works best if you can also build GLH too which is too much of a stretch to reliably get off at any decent difficulty level), works best on archipelago maps where everyone is semi-isolated (workboat connected) so the trade route values are maximised.

How do I tell which city has the ToA so I can send my great merchants there?

How do I tell which city has the ToA so I can send my great merchants there?

You can click on the Demographics screen, the small icon in the upper right corner that sort of looks like a graph. Click on "Top Cities/World Wonders" and there you will see a list of all the wonders built so far.

Admittedly I'm not sure how this looks in the default game, as almost everybody are so used to using the BUG mod now, so I would highly recommend to install that. It makes a lot more information easily available, and organises it better. Truly excellent :)

In the default game it only tells you what civ built it, not the city.

Shift-clicking on a city with the GM selected shows you how much you would get there for a trade mission.

Shift-clicking on a city with the GM selected shows you how much you would get there for a trade mission.

I keep trying this for various things, but it never works. First the UI looks right, but then it goes back to whatever is available for the tile the unit is standing on. I keep trying now and again, but the game always does this :(

I keep trying this for various things, but it never works. First the UI looks right, but then it goes back to whatever is available for the tile the unit is standing on. I keep trying now and again, but the game always does this :(

I can verify that there is some strange behavior behind this. On my old computer it worked, though not 100% of the time, but just clicking again led to eventual success. On my new laptop it never works.

Your GM has to be in a city when you do it for it to work. Doesn't matter if it is own or AI city. If out in the open, it will go back to only the options you have out in the open.

For people reading this who don't know the trick: with Great Merchant selected (standing in any city), hold down shift and right-click any AI city, keep holding the shift key down and then hover your mouse pointer over the trade mission button to see what you' get in that city. Finally (while still holding down shift) click the cancel last order button to cancel the goto orders,en you can release the shift key.

I can verify that there is some strange behavior behind this. On my old computer it worked, though not 100% of the time, but just clicking again led to eventual success. On my new laptop it never works.

Exactly the same for me :sad: On the old computer it sometimes botched up, but after another 1 or 2 attempts it usually worked. Now it never works. And I've tried many, mannnny times.

Your GM has to be in a city when you do it for it to work. Doesn't matter if it is own or AI city. If out in the open, it will go back to only the options you have out in the open.

For people reading this who don't know the trick: with Great Merchant selected (standing in any city), hold down shift and right-click any AI city, keep holding the shift key down and then hover your mouse pointer over the trade mission button to see what you' get in that city. Finally (while still holding down shift) click the cancel last order button to cancel the goto orders,en you can release the shift key.

Quite simply it doesn't work. I've tried it with GMs too, when they are in one of my cities (where they were born for instance). The UI simply 'blinks' and goes back to whatever actions there are for the tile the unit is standing on. Recently happened with a GProphet for instance. He happened to be born in a holy city, but of a small faith. I tried time and time again to do the shift-clicking move on the other holy city, but the UI always reverted back. Same for workers too. And GS and GE, and everything else.

Don't know why it doesn't work any more, but it simply doesn't :(

That's odd, always worked for me. So it just reverts the options showed, the goto command is still qued up until you either cancel it or lift the shift key? I wonder if it is some odd setting in the game that affects this behavior.

I'm pretty sure this is what I was trying to say. But maybe newer versions of BUG or BAT or BULL or whatever interfere with it? I only recalled this from doing it quite a while ago, and I definitely don't remember it only working if the GM was on a city tile. Though that could have very well been the case and I just never realized.

I remember being able to do this with the GM still in the city it was produced in (shift-clicking to all the cities I'd already scouted) but also when using the GM to scout and clicking on AI cities I had discovered from 2 tiles away. So as not to waste precious, precious movement points.

That's odd, always worked for me. So it just reverts the options showed, the goto command is still qued up until you either cancel it or lift the shift key? I wonder if it is some odd setting in the game that affects this behavior.

Yes, I can still click on cancel while holding in the shift key, but the buttons simply aren't right for the square I'm trying to check out. When I hold shift and click to a square, for instance a city with a GM, the right icons pop up for that city. But when I let go of the mouse button to move it over one of the icons (e.g. to see how much gold it would fetch), the UI sort of blinks and goes icons change. I've no idea why it doesn't work any more. It's not a huge deal of course, but particularly for GMs it would be useful to know the lump sum without moving the guy from city to city.

Top Bottom