Term 3 - Nominations for CJ and Associate Justices

Originally posted by donsig
1. Some I like, some I don't. I have no problem using the laws as they are written to hinder those unwritten traditions that I detest.

What about hindering those unwritten traditions you agree with?

Originally posted by zorven

What about hindering those unwritten traditions you agree with?

Why would I do that zorven? Aren't there enough out there who detest the few traditions I agree with? Let them use the laws to hinder the traditions I agree with. If we hinder all the unwritten traditions enough to get them encapsulated in valid laws then we'll have quite a few less legal problems in our little democracy.

I will accept this nomination. A position on the bench offers a chance to influence the game and attempt to recenter it on actual play, without the 2-3 times a week deadline of a leader position.

As for the debate questions,

The importance of tradition lies mainly in its ability to give us cues about what worked and did not work in the past. I say cues, because prior games were played by different sets of people, under a different group psychology. In this light, traditions should be considered when making decisions about what the current rules mean, but only to the point that they reveal the context in which the law was written.

An important function of the judiciary should be to lead discussion on proposals to improve our laws. This does not mean that the justices should make laws per se, just that they should provide guidance to the citizens on how to accomplish legal goals.

I have witnessed many heated discussions, and taken up the torch of one side or another, but have little to fear in the area of becoming a target. One of the extremely important roles of the judiciary is to remain above the battle so that a fair and impartial decision can be rendered. I liken it to being a referee -- you know the opposing sides aren't necessarily going to be your best buddies, but at least you'll have their respect.

In reponse to ravensfire:

1. Honestly, if I did have my way, we'd run Fanatica on these traditions and forget all about maintaining such a complex ruleset. But, there's something about the mentality of this game that prevents that.

As I see it, though, this is nothing for the judiciary to handle. It must operate with the reasonable limit of the law. If anything, we should try to get these traditions written down somewhere.

2. I'll do what I've always done in these situations: Tell it to them like it is. If I see a problem, I will not hesitate to point it out, in at least a polite manner. It's never best to simply ignore a problem.

3. After what I handled in DGs1 and 2, I'm ready for whatever you guys decide to throw at me. :)

1. One issue that keeps returning over and over is the role of unwritten "traditions" in Fanatican law. What is your position on this question?

You need to be a bit more specific please.

2. In the past two terms, there have been times of resounding criticism from citizens, with no action from those same citizens to correct what they believe to be wrong. What do you plan to do to reduce this?

Dont you mean help the citizens to rectify the problems?

3. How thick is your skin? :D

That rather a double edged question isn't it? :D

Top Bottom