Term 5- Judiciary: Law and Sleepless Nights

Zarn

Le Républicain Catholique
Hi. :p In previous demgames I have been in Senates, Executive branches, the head of a religion, various citizen groups, and possibly some other things as well; however, I have never entered the judiciary branch. I never had the interest. Now, that I have become the Chief Justice, I believe this is probally the worst job possible in CFC history. Why? It because the law is so complex that it could make the casual CFCer's head spin. I'll take the challenge, though. There is unfinished business, and I will get to the bottom of it.
-Lord Zarn

The Laws of Fanatica
Judicial Log
Term 4

This court is comprised of:

Chief Justice: Lord Zarn
Associate Justice: Zorven
Associate Justice: gert-janl

Official Census of Fanatica: 21

Open Cases:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
T2-CC#4-vsChieftess
as requested by zorven
T2-CC2-Citizen's Complaint against Rik Meleet
As requested by donsig
T5-JR2 – Justice role in CCs
As requested by gert-janl
T5-JR3 – Proposed Amendment ‘Fanatican Sunshine Law’
As requested by Ravensfire
T5-JR4 – Governors authority outside Provincial Borders

Closed Cases:
T2-JR11-Legality of Election Reform poll
as requested by donsig
T2-JR12-May deputies play the save
as requested by zorven
T3-JR1 - Under Article D.1 does the Ministry of Internal Affairs have the authority to discuss, poll and order the change of government for Fanatica?
T5-JR1 - Legality of governor's build queue of great wonder

I have a question. Will the backlog cases from term 1 ever be handled before the game ends? :p

I thought all term 1 cases were done. Which ones are still open?

Well, besides the outstanding CC, I think nothing. Oops, that was passed on to term 2, almost forgot.

Now, as for term 2 - a few are still there, as well as from term 4.

-- Ravensfire

Originally posted by Chieftess
I have a question. Will the backlog cases from term 1 ever be handled before the game ends? :p

No.:p

It seems the court is slow moving, and I know why (stupid complex rules).;)

To enlarge our workload :D I would like to dig up something from the history of this DG4, which haven't been corrected.

In case T1-JR8 the court decides that:
Code:
No Justice may represent a client in a Citizen Complaint 
unless they step down temporarily after appointing a Pro Tem 
Justice to replace them for the duration of the Citizen Complaint.

Unfortunately our Code of Laws contradicts this ruling in Article CoL D2d, which states:
Code:
2.  All members of the judiciary share several rights and responsibilities. 
    d.  Participate in Citizen Complaints.

In my opinion this section of the CoL should be amended in accordance with CoL article J which requires a Judicial Review:
Code:
J.  Amending the Code of Laws
    1.  Polls to amend the Code of Laws shall be posted by the
        Judiciary upon succesful completion of a Judicial Review.

Originally posted by Zarn
Open Cases (As of April 29):
T2-CC2-Citizen's Complaint against Rik Meleet
As requested by donsig
I want to be trialled soon, or I consider this case "expired".

No.:p

It seems the court is slow moving, and I know why (stupid complex rules).;)

Well, it doesn't help when a court is trying to resolve multiple cases and one of the Justices desides to go on strike.

-- Ravensfire

Judicial Review request

In the current TCIT (here), one of our Governors has posted instructions for the construction of a Great Wonder. There was a confirmatory post by the MIA immediately following.

There was, however, no discussion that I can find on this Great Wonder. It appears the Governor doesn't care for the input of citizens on this matter, nor about trodding through the Ministry of Internal Affairs, who is responsible for Wonders, in the process.

Under Articles D and J (most especially J) of the Constitution, and Section B. 2.e.2 of the Code of Laws, is this a valid instruction?

Due to the timing, I request this matter be handled in an urgent manner.

-- Ravensfire

Question to the Chief Justice -

There is a decent backlog of cases dating from Term 2 and on. Will you (or a member of the Court) be reviewing all old threads looking for unresolved cases, or will you require that all matters be resubmitted to this Court, in this thread?

I too have a CC filed against me that I would like to see resolved, in addition to several JR's and a requested review of a proposed law.

My thanks to the Court.

-- Ravensfire

Originally posted by Chieftess

zorven is correct. All of the cases sumitted or requested within the allowable timeframe for Term 1 were handled and recorded in the Judicial Log. The one CC submitted by donsig after that timeframe was not accepted and was merely submitted to the Term 2 Judiciary as a convenience or courtesy to donsig. The Term 1 Judiciary was the only Term of Justices to wade through it's gargantuan workload.

Originally posted by ravensfire
Judicial Review request

In the current TCIT (here), one of our Governors has posted instructions for the construction of a Great Wonder. There was a confirmatory post by the MIA immediately following.

There was, however, no discussion that I can find on this Great Wonder. It appears the Governor doesn't care for the input of citizens on this matter, nor about trodding through the Ministry of Internal Affairs, who is responsible for Wonders, in the process.

Under Articles D and J (most especially J) of the Constitution, and Section B. 2.e.2 of the Code of Laws, is this a valid instruction?

Due to the timing, I request this matter be handled in an urgent manner.

-- Ravensfire
As the Governor whose action is questioned, I very much support Ravensfire's request for swift procedure. To help the court in coming to a fast conclusion, let me give you my point of view:

The Constitution D.1. says "The Minister of Internal Affairs shall be responsible for all domestic and cultural initiatives, as prescribed by law." Nothing concrete here.

The Constitution J. says: "Elected officials must plan and act according to the will of the people." In this case, the people did not voice their will. So what?

CoL.B.2.e.2 says: "Ministry of Internal Affairs ... Is responsible for wonder building, including prebuilds." It does not say what "is responsible" means. Does it mean "Has to take the blame if we don't get a wonder we want?" Especially it does not say that this paragraph has priority over the next one:

CoL.C.1.b.1 says: "A governor organizes the build queues of the cities in thier province" This is what I did. And as long as there is no poll organized by the MiA and coming to a different result, this is a valid instruction.

q.e.d.

I'm not on strike. I'm going to get everything in order, tomorrow. I'm going to start tonight, after I get home from work. You have to remember that I just really got involved in this demogame, and I work the weekends/ Mondays. Alot of you work on weekdays, but I don't.

I'm not on strike. I'm going to get everything in order, tomorrow. I'm going to start tonight, after I get home from work. You have to remember that I just really got involved in this demogame, and I work the weekends/ Mondays. Alot of you work on weekdays, but I don't.

Totally understand - CJ is by far the most unpleasant, time-demanding and least-rewarding position in the DG.

That said - I have every confidence that you'll be a great CJ, Zarn!

-- Ravensfire

Question to the Chief Justice -

There is a decent backlog of cases dating from Term 2 and on. Will you (or a member of the Court) be reviewing all old threads looking for unresolved cases, or will you require that all matters be resubmitted to this Court, in this thread?

I too have a CC filed against me that I would like to see resolved, in addition to several JR's and a requested review of a proposed law.

My thanks to the Court.

-- Ravensfire

I will search for cases, but on the other hand, if a case is missed by the Court and one wants it brought forward, it would be appreciated if it was brought back to its attention.

Originally posted by tao

The Constitution J. says: "Elected officials must plan and act according to the will of the people." In this case, the people did not voice their will. So what?
It's hard to voice, or even determine, the WotP, when you don't even bother to ask about it!

Bah - I'll save the rest of my rant for the discussion thread on this matter.

-- Ravensfire

Totally understand - CJ is by far the most unpleasant, time-demanding and least-rewarding position in the DG.

That said - I have every confidence that you'll be a great CJ, Zarn!

-- Ravensfire

That's appreciated. You have my ALMOST undivided attention from Wednesday to Friday. On Tuesday, much of that day is free as well.

Please conduct a Judicial Review of the Fanatican Sunshine Law. Please use the text noted Final Proposal.

Thanks,
-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom